Excerpt from the Alamance Gleaner
Contributed by Nora Jackson

Message from Nora
Also in the interest of sharing, I have decided to try contributing
Obits/death notices from this newspaper. (Mark [Murphy] has inspired me.) I have
chosen 1916 as a starting year, and will pick up earlier issues as they come
available. These are transcribed exactly as written. Due to the sometimes
poor condition of the microfilm, asterisks (*) will be substituted for
unreadable letters. Hope these help someone!
Nora Jackson

The Alamance Gleaner - January 3, 1918
Mr. W. W. Parrish Dead.
After an illness and general decline in health for several months and an
operation in the early fall, Mr. W. W. Parrish became an easy prey to
pneumonia and passed away at 6:30 Tuesday morning at the age of 39 years. He
is survived by his widow, five children and two sisters.
Judge Albert L. Coble Dies Suddenly at His Home in Statesville.
The friends and acquaintances of Judge Albert L. Coble in Alamance, his
native county, will sincerely regret to hear of his death, which took place
in Statesville early Tuesday morning. He succumbed to a stroke of paralysis.
He had been slightly indisposed, but was up and about the day before his
death. The funeral services and burial were held Wednesday afternoon.
Judge Coble was born and reared near Hartshorn, Coble township, this
county. He was about 62 years of age at the time of his death. He was a son
of the late Wesley L. Coble, who died at the home in December, two years ago,
at a very advanced age. One brother John W. Coble, and one sister, Mrs.
Fannie Reitzel, survive him. He is also survived by his widow, who was Miss
Patterson and a sister of Lindsay Patterson, Esq., of Winston-Salem.
As a young man Judge Coble was a student at the old Graham Collegiate
Institute under Drs. W. S. and D. A. Long. From this he went to the
University where he graduated. Afterward he taught in the Graham School and
elsewhere for a year or two, and then took up the study of the law. About 28
years ago he located at Statesville and was the law partner of Judge Daniel
M. Furches. In 1894 in the fusion campaign he was elected Judge of the
Superior Court and served for six years. Then he resumed the practice of law.
In 1907, in Roosevelt's administration, he was appointed Assistant District
Attorney for the Western District and made an efficient officer. Upon his
retirement about five years ago from office he again resumed the practice of
law. Judge Coble was a man of fine parts and worthy of the high esteem in
which he was held.

The Alamance Gleaner - January 10, 1918
Leading And Prominent Citizen Passes Away at his home in Burlington Saturday
Mr. James Wesley Cates, pioneer citizen, progressive business man,
prominent in church and civic worker in the town and county, died suddenly at
his home last Saturday night at 11 o'clock. His death comes as a great and
sudden blow to the town, as he possibly ranked as the most prominent and
influential citizen of the town for the past 30 years.
About four years ago Mr. Cates was in an automobile accident that came
near causing his death and resulted in injuries that probably hastened his
death. He recovered sufficiently to take up his work again in the business
world and was actively engaged up to the end. He was at his post all day
Saturday, and although he complained for several days, he did not give up.
After supper he went up town for the mail and got home about nine o'clock.
About ten o'clock he was taken ill and physicians came and administered to
him, but in half an hour he sustained a stroke of paralysis and died
Thus passed a man who has meant more to Burlington than any other man
connected with his history. He was born September 30, 1847, in the section of
Orange county that later became a part of Alamance. His parents were William
and Sarah Cheek Cates, and his mother is now living at his home at the age of
90 years. Mr. Cates remembered distinctly the names and features of seven
grandparents and great-grandparents, 17 uncles and aunts, 15 great-uncle and
one great-great-uncle, who died at the age of 104.
He was married in 1869 to Miss Sarah Patterson, from which union three
children survive. In 1885 he was married to Miss Sarah Scott of Virginia, and
six children survive this union. A remarkable coincidence is the similarity
in the manner of his death and that of his wife. She was stricken with
paralysis on Saturday night twenty-two weeks before.
Mr. Cates is survived by nine children, as follows: W. Luther Cates, Mrs.
J. H. Vernon, Mrs. L. D. Perry and Misses Bertha, Verna and Julia Cates of
Burlington; Jas. M. Cates of Greensboro; G. Robert Cates of Atlanta, Ga.; and
C. Grady Cates of Roanoke, Va.; his mother Mrs. Sarah B. Cates; two brothers,
W. M. and B. M. Cates of Tallehassee, Fla.; two sisters, Mrs. H. C. Zachary
of Sanford, Fla.; and Mrs. Fannie Clark of Chapel Hill.
The funeral was held Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock in the First Baptist
church, Pastor M. W. Buck conducting the services. The Masons, Odd Fellows
and Pythians of which he was a member, attended the funeral in bodies.
The service was a unique an impressive one. Because of his great interest
in every interest in his city, a few of his friends were given the
opportunity to speak from their hearts. The order of service was as follows:
Hymn - "Nearer My God To Thee."
Scripture reading - II Samuel 3:38, by Pastor M. W. Buck.
Quartette - "Sometime We'll Understand."
Prayer - Rev. J. W. Holt.
Mr. Cates As An Educator - Rev. M. W. Buck.
Mr. Cates as a Member of Fraternal Orders - Mr. E. S. W. Dameron.
Mr. Cates as a Business Man - Mr. W. E. Sharpe.
Hymn - "O Love That Will Not Let Me Go."
Mr. Cates as a Progressive Citizen - Mr. John M. Cook.
Mr. Cates as a Christian and Church Member - Dr. J. C. Staley.
Mr. Cates as a Man - Mr. E. S. Parker, Jr.
Hymn - "The Model Church," Mr. C. L. Shoffner.
Hymn - "Abide With Me."
The pall bearers were the same as at Mrs. Cates' funeral.
It would be hard to estimate what Mr. Cates has meant to Burlington. He
arrived in the city in 1880, when the town had 817 people. With twelve others
in 1887 he organized the First Baptist church, of which he has always been a
deacon and recently was made a deacon for life. He has been mayor and
alderman of the city, and has been director of four banks and was president
of one for awhile. In the establishment of the Burlington Graded School he
was largely instrumental and was one of the first members of Board of
Trustees. He was the last of the five original members of this board. He was
secretary of the Chamber of Commerce for two years. Naming his activities is
like giving a business directory of Burlington.
The first Burlington postoffice box was rented by M. J. W. Cates and he
was given the first telephone number and he made the first deposit in a bank
of the city.
For the past 20 years Mr. Cates has been engaged in selling fuel and all
kinds of building material. His business life was a full one, but no fuller
than his church and social life. A man of rare judgment and an assiduous
disciple of duty, Mr. Cates developed all the best sides of his nature.
Among relatives and friends out of Burlington attending the funeral were:
J. M. Cates and family, T. A. Ingle, G. F. Blackmon, E. P. Wharton, W. C.
Boren of Greensboro; Mr. B. M. Cates of Tallehassee, Fla.; Mr. W. A. Zachary,
Sanford, Fla.; Mrs. Fannie Clark, Mr. and Mrs. J. Sparrow, Mr. and Mrs. Ira
Mann, Mr. Floyd Clarke and Mr. Walter Clarke, of Chapel Hill; Mr. C. W.
Clarke, of Wilmington; Mr. and Mrs. John E. Bridgers, Raleigh; Mr. E. H.
Cheek, Durham; Dr. W. A. Harper, Elon College; Mrs. J. C. Hamley and Mrs. J.
Hurley, High Point; H. W. Durham, Greensboro; L. Banks Ray, Norfolk; C. Grady
Cates, Roanoke; G. Robert Cates, Atlanta; Mr. J. W. Zachary, Cooleemee; J. C.
Durham, Carl and Ladd Durham, Salisbury.

The Alamance Gleaner - January 17, 1918
Mrs. Lou Purcell, wife of Mr. Albert Q. Purcell, died at her home in Haw
River Monday morning at 4:30 o'clock of pneumonia. The interment was in
Linwood Cemetery, Graham, Tuesday afternoon. Mrs. Purcell was a daughter of
Mr. J. H. Blackmon of Haw River. Besides her father she is survived by her
husband and four children, three brothers and two sisters--Mrs. B. Goodman
and Miss Julia Blackmon, and George A., Will F. and Henry Blackmon. Mrs.
Purcell was in her 45th year.
Mr. J. Will Johnston died yesterday morning at his home at Haw River. He
was taken suddenly ill while attending the burial of Mrs. Purcell in the
cemetery in Graham Tuesday afternoon. The physician pronounced it paralysis.
He grew worse from the beginning and never spoke after he reached home. The
funeral and burial were held at Long's Chapel this afternoon at one o'clock.
Mr. Johnston was a son of the late Lemuel Johnston and was born June 9th,
1867. He is survived by his widow and five children, two sons and three
daughters. His oldest son, Roy, was in camp at Camp Sevier and was
telegraphed for and did not hear that his father was dead until he was almost
home. The deceased leaves one sister, Mrs. J. M. E. Wyatt, and four brothers,
Chas. D., Broad W., J. Walter and Andrew, surviving him. Mr. Johnston had
been a successful merchant at Haw River for a score or more years. He was
well known and was one of the county's most highly esteemed citizens.
Mrs. Louella Isley, wife of Dr. Wm. L. Isley, died suddenly at her home
near Friendship the early part of last Saturday night. She became suddenly
ill and died about an hour and a half afterward. She is thought to have had a
stroke of paralysis. She was a daughter of the late Milton C. Huffines near
Elon College and was in the 50th year of her age. Besides her husband and
several children, she is survived by several brothers and sisters.
Miss Lessie Gattis, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse M. Gattis, died at the
home of her parents, near Burlington, yesterday morning. She had been sick
for some time. She was about 26 years of age. The burial took place at New
Providence at 2 o'clock this afternoon.

The Alamance Gleaner - January 24, 1918
Mr. G. W. Hatch, Supt. Street Railway, Loses Life in Accident.
Tuesday afternoon Mr. G. W. Hatch, Supt of Piedmont Railway & Electric
Co., met with an accident that cost him his life. He and others were using
the Co's electric engine to clear the tracks of ice. On the Haw River branch
immediately north of Graham station they ran at high speed into the ice at
the public road crossing. The engine was thrown from the track and turned
over. The air pump fell on Mr. Hatch, inflicting fatal injuries, and he is
reported to have been scorched by the electric current. Three others, Messrs.
Moore and Lewis and a colored man, were also badly hurt, Moore having a leg
broken and Lewis having a leg badly bruised. The colored man suffered only
slight injuries. All were rushed to Rainey Hospital where Mr. Hatch died
about 7 o'clock that evening.
Mr. Hatch had been with the Street Railway for the past nine years and
was an efficient official. He was highly esteemed as a citizen and his death
was a shock to his friends and the community.
He had built a handsome bungalow in Piedmont Park where he lived with his
wife, two daughters and son.
Yesterday afternoon a funeral service was held at his home by his pastor,
Rev. D. Melver, pastor of the Presbyterian church in Burlington, and the
remains left on the evening train for Baltimore, accompanied by a committee
of the Masonic fraternity, for interment.
The body of Charley Thompson, seven years old, who fell from the plank
way under the railroad bridge at Haw River into the river and was drowned
Saturday, 12th inst., has not been recovered.

The Alamance Gleaner - February 28, 1918
Mr. W. G. Pool Dead.
On Monday night Mr. W. G. Pool, aged 23 years, passed away here at the
home of his father, Mr. K. B. Pool. He had been in declining health for
months. The funeral was conducted yesterday afternoon from the home of the
deceased's father by Revs. U. L. Weston and R. S. Troxler. The burial service
was taken in charge of by the Juniors of Graham, the beautiful and solemn
service of the Order being used in the most impressive manner. Deceased held
his membership in the Jr. Order in Newport, Kentucky, and the members of the
Order here attended in a body to pay the last tribute to a deceased brother.
Died Suddenly.
Emma Mabry, colored, widow of the late George S. Mabry, died suddenly
about noon Monday. She had been down street and died a few minutes after
reaching home. She was a very estimable woman and enjoyed the friendship of
both white and colored. She was about 63 years of age.
Mrs. Tripp Dies In Greensboro and Buried Here.
Mrs. Grace D. Tripp, aged 48 years, died Monday night at 12 o'clock in
Greensboro, where she has lived for a number of years, after an illness of
two weeks. She was the widow of Mr. W. C. Tripp, who died here about ten
years ago. Funeral services were conducted at the residence yesterday morning
and the remains and funeral party arrived here a few minutes before 12
o'clock and the interment was made in Linwood Cemetery. Rev. C. E. Hodgin of
Greensboro and Rev. U. L. Weston conducted the burial service. Several
friends of the family were in the funeral party. Mrs. Tripp is survived by
three daughters -- Mrs. W. S. Vestal, who lives Southeast of Graham on the
Swepsonville road, Mrs. J. M. Ellis of Lynchburg, Va., and Miss Ivora Tripp
of Greensboro, all of whom were present at the funeral.

The Alamance Gleaner - March 7, 1918
Mr. John M. McCracken Passes Away.
After being confined by sickness for several weeks Mr. John M. McCracken
passed away at his home on North Maple St. at 11:30 o'clock last Saturday
night in the 51st year of his age. He had improved and went out to Rainey
Hospital and appeared to be doing well, but suffered a relapse and returned
to his home on Monday preceding his death. His sickness was known of but his
death was a shock as his illness was not thought to be so serious.
For more than 25 years, Mr. McCracken had made his home in Graham and he
always took a keen interest in all public matters. For a number of years he
was a Justice of the Peace and performed the duties with credit to himself.
He served for sometime on the board of trustees of Graham Graded School. He
had been the efficient Postmaster of Graham for more than four years,
receiving the appointment from President Wilson.
The funeral was conducted from the home at 2 o'clock Monday afternoon by
Rev. L. U. Weston, Pastor of the Baptist church, after which the interment
was in the family plot in Linwood Cemetery. A large number of friends and
acquaintances were present to pay their last tribute of respect. The court in
session prolonged the noon recess to permit friends to attend the funeral.
Beautiful floral tributes covered the mound over the grave. Mr. McCracken is
survived by his widow and a son, Mr. Eugene McCracken of Winston-Salem, and a
daughter, Miss Duke McCracken, who have the sincere sympathy of a large
circle of friends in their great bereavement.

Card of Thanks.
We desire to express our grateful appreciation of the many kindnesses by
neighbors and friends shown to our beloved husband and father, the late John
M. McCracken, and to us during his last illness and at his death.
Mrs. Sarah M. McCracken
Eugene R. McCracken
Miss Duke M. McCracken

The Alamance Gleaner - March 14, 1918
Died at Age 93.
Mrs. Margaret Forbis, aged 93, died last Thursday morning at Haw River
and the remains were interred here Friday afternoon in Linwood Cemetery. She
was the widow of the late Watson Forbis who died at Haw River some 3 or 4
years ago at a ripe old age.

The Alamance Gleaner - March 21, 1918
Mr. Wm. H. Holt of Graham and Miss Ella Andrews of Burlington were united
in marriage in the latter place Wednesday night, 20th, Rev. J. W. Harrell
officiating. Their many friends wish them much happiness.
The following announcement is of interest to a large number of friends of
the parties:
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Lawson Scott
request the honor of your presence at
the marriage of their daughter
Mr. Marven Clayton Terrell
Wednesday evening, March twenty-
seventh at eight o'clock.
Four hundred and six Maple Avenue
Burlington, North Carolina.
The bride-elect is an amiable and accomplished young woman and Mr.
Terrell holds the important position of Supt. of Schools for Alamance county.
Mrs. Albright, the wife of Mr. J. Taylor Albright, died Sunday morning at
11 o'clock from a stroke of paralysis at her home in Melville township about
four miles southeast of Graham. Her maiden name was Patton and she was born
in this county April 30, 1850. The funeral and burial was at Hawfields,
Monday. Deceased was a most excellent and highly esteemed woman. She is
survived by her husband and eight children - five sons and three daughters
and other relatives. Mrs. J. O. Corbet of Graham is a daughter of deceased.
The family has the deep sympathy of a host of friends in their great
Mr. John J. Neal died today at Saxapahaw. He was born in Chatham County
in 1852, over 60 years ago. The internment will be at Moore's Chapel
tomorrow. Several sons and daughters survive him.
Mr. James L. Neese, principal of the public school at Alamance mills,
died suddenly Sunday of neuralgia of the heart, aged 23 years. The burial was
at Mt. Pleasant Monday. He was a native of Guilford county.
Mrs. Rachel D. Welsh died at her home here last Saturday morning. The
funeral took place Sunday afternoon and the interment was in New Providence
cemetery. Mrs. Welsh was a good woman and beloved by all who knew her. She is
survived by several children, among them Messrs Daniel and Edgar Welsh of
Graham and Tom Welsh of Burlington.
Mr. G. W. Lashley, aged 72, one of oldest citizens of Pleasant Grove
township, died last Friday. The interment was at Long's Chapel.
Funeral of Mrs. Yancey Tackle of Elon College.
Cor. of The Gleaner.
Today at Friedens Lutheran church, near Gibsonville, was a funeral more
interesting than most funerals. Mrs. Yancey Tackle of Elon College, R. F. D.,
aged seventy-five years, the fourth wife of Mr. Tackle, died from the effects
of paralysis. She was a Miss Seymour, and had married Mr. Alvis Robinson
before marrying Mr. Tackle. After about ten years of married life with Mr.
Robinson she became a widow. Later in life she married Mr. Tackle, and it was
just about ten years that she was permitted to live in the community before
death came to her.
She left no children, but she left an aged husband, two half-brothers,
four half-sisters, many other relatives and lots of friends. She was a member
of the Baptist church, and she was prepared to leave this world. The funeral
services was held at the home, and the interment was had at Friedens, where
Mr. Tackle has now buried four wives. The funeral text was a favorite of the
aged husband: Rom. 10:9.
A word here about Mr. Tackle would not be out of place. He is nearly
ninety-three years old; was about eighty-three when he married the last time;
wants his name spelled "Tackle", and not "Tickle"; is quite a good Bible
scholar; can read without glasses; in good weather works a little in his
blacksmith shop; Takes lots of interest in his church (the Lutheran church);
talks politics sometimes; is a most honorable man, and has many friends. He
told his pastor with great pleasure, that there were seventy-one visitors at
his house on one day during the last illness of his wife. May he live to be a
hundred years old, and be strong all that time, is the wish of his pastor.
Y. Von A. Riser.
March 13, 1918.

The Alamance Gleaner - March 28, 1918
Body of Charley Thompson Found
On Saturday, January 12th, Charley Thompson, between 8 and 9 years old,
son of Henry Thompson, fell from a foot-way under the railroad bridge over
the river at Haw River. At the time the river was somewhat swollen and large
blocks of ice were floating down. Almost immediately the boy disappeared.
Parties on either side went down the river watching for the body, but he was
not seen again. Tuesday about noon Mr. Fred Farrell at Swepsonville was in a
boat below the bridge at that place going to look at his fish trap. In
passing a small island in the river he saw the body hanging in the fork of a
small tree and partially out of the water. The body was taken out and brought
to the undertaking rooms of Rich & Thompson at this place and prepared for
burial. All the clothes were still on the body which was found in a good
state of preservation. The funeral took place at Haw River yesterday
afternoon. From Haw River to the place the body was found was over four miles.

The Alamance Gleaner - April 18, 1918
Mr. Levi H. Aldridge Dead.
After an illness of some months, Mr. Levi H. Aldridge passed away at his
home at Union Ridge last Thursday. The interment was at Union Christian
church cemetery Saturday afternoon. The funeral was conducted by his Pastor,
Rev. W. I. Wills, assisted by Drs. J. W. Wel*** and W. S. long. The burial
services were conducted by the Masonic Fraternity of which he was a member.
Deceased was about 59 years of age and was born and reared in less than a
mile of where he died. He is survived by his widow who was Miss Minnie Graham
the eldest daughter of the late Dr. Henry Graham, and six daughters and one
son. He is also survived by two brothers Charles P. Aldridge of Union Ridge
and John N. Aldridge of Caswell County, and a sister Mrs. J. W. Harrels of
Mr. Aldridge was one of the county's best citizens and highly esteemed by
all who knew him. He had been engaged in the mercantile business at Union
Ridge for twenty years in addition to operating his farms. His community is
the poorer for his taking off and he will be greatly missed.

The Alamance Gleaner - March 13, 1919
Mr. John G. Longest Dead.
After an illness of about two months, Mr. John G. Longest, died at his
home in Graham at 8 o'clock Sunday morning March 9th. He was born January 19,
1856. The funeral was conducted from Graham Christian church of which he was
a member, at 2:30 o'clock Monday by his Pastor, Rev. F. C. Lester, and Dr. D.
A. Long, the latter preaching the funeral sermon. Afterwards the remains were
laid to rest in Linwood cemetery.
Mr. Longest had spent practically all his life from his childhood in
Graham. He is survived by his widow and nine children -- six daughters and
three sons, one brother and two sisters, Mr. J. N. Longest, Mrs. J. R. Hughes
and Mrs. Stewart of Greensboro.
Mr. Longest was a contractor and builder by trade and so well did he do
whatever he undertook that his services were in constant demand. In his death
the community has lost a valuable and useful citizen.

'Southwest Alamance'
Cor. of The Gleaner.

One more break in a happy band.
One more home that is desolate now,
One more harp in an angel's hand,
One more crown on an angel's brow.

On March the 3rd, 1919, Eva Coble died at her home near Kimesville and
was buried at Mt. Zion on the 4th, funeral services conducted by Rev. Mr.
Shelton. She was 13 years old, a bright and lovely flower faded on earth to
bloom again in heaven. She leaves a sorrowing father and mother, four
brothers and one sister, and a number of schoolmates and friends to mourn for

She has gone to the mansion of rest.
Her spirit no longer imprisoned in clay.
Her soul now reclining on the Savior's breast,
In the bright sunny regions of day.

No night can ever darken her sunny abode,
No storm cloud its peace can destroy.
No end bitter was beneath sin's heavy load,
Can ever come in to annoy.

She has gone nevermore to return,
Her place in the home can never be filled.
Her companions through sorrow life's lessons will learn,
Dream oft of their friend, now silent and still.

No more will they greet her as they often have done.
Her musical voice no more will they hear.
Her footsteps which on errands have run,
Will never be heard the sad hearts to cheer.

How sad was the parting, how hard to say,
The bitter farewell, the last goodbye,
While angels were waiting to bear her away,
From the trials of earth to a home in the sky.

The Alamance Gleaner - April 17, 1919
Mr. J. Calvin Walker Dead.
The death of Mr. J. Calvin Walker will be heard with surprise by his
friends throughout the county. He was carried to Rainey Hospital for
treatment a few days before his death, which occurred Sunday morning. He was
71 years of age and one of the county's best citizens. His home was in the
northeastern part of the county and he was a successful farmer and tobacco
raiser and had accumulated a nice estate. The remains were buried at Union
Ridge Monday afternoon, funeral conducted by Dr. P. H. Fleming. He was never
married. He is survived by two sisters, Mrs. E. A. Trolinger, who lived with
him, and Mrs. John W. Smith of Durham, and one brother, Mr. J. Monroe Walker,
who lives in the West, and other relatives.
Death of Mrs. Chas. D. Johnston.
Last Friday morning at 8 o'clock Mrs. Chas. D. Johnston passed away at
her home here after an illness of about four weeks. She was in the 40th year
of her age. The funeral was conducted from the home at 11 o'clock Saturday
morning by Dr. P. H. Fleming, assisted by Revs. F. C. Lester and J. G.
Truitt, after which the remains were laid to rest in Linwood cemetery. Mrs.
Johnston is survived by her husband and five small children--four girls and
one boy, who mourn a devoted and faithful wife and a loving and tender
mother. Mrs. Johnston's maiden name was Smith. She was born and reared in
Rockingham county, where her father now lives. She is also survived by
several brothers and sisters. Mrs. Johnston was a member of the Christian
church and a faithful and ever ready worker. Many friends came from different
parts of the county to pay the last tribute of respect to her memory. The
wealth of beautiful flowers placed upon her grave betokened the love and
esteem in which she was held by friends far and near. The sorely bereaved
husband, children and relatives have the heartfelt sympathy of their many
friends and acquaintances.

First PageHomeGleaner 4

Feb. 13, 2002
Updated May 7, 2002