REV. JAMES CAMPBELL CEMETERY
Carver's Creek Township
From Fayetteville, go north on Ramsey Street (US 401N). At the 9500 block, turn onto E. Reeves Bridge
Road (SR 1609). This road changes to Lane Road and then to Collins Chapel Road all using SR 1609. Go
5.0 miles and turn right onto Laura Ray Road (SR 1708). Go 1.5 miles to the barn complex of the Ammons
Ranch. The cemetery is about 100 yards across in the back of the pasture on the West bank of the Cape
Fear River. It is opposite Bluff Presbyterian Church, which is on the East bank.
Geodetic Coordinate is: N 35° 11.024' (35.1837°) W -78° 43.782' (-78.7297°)
Surveyed by Robert McLemore Butler Posted March 24, 2006 by Myrtle Bridges.
CAMPBELL, Rev. James Died 1780
Bonze Plaque on a large stone reads: "First settled Presbyterian Minister in North Carolina, organized
Bluff, Barbeque, and Longstreet churches in 1758 .. Erected by Fayetteville Presbytery 1930"
CAMPBELL, Cap. James s/o Rev. James Campbell Age 50 Died Dec 13,1876
CAMPBELL, Isabella w/o Cap. James Campbell Died Nov 6,1849
There are eight burial sites marked with plain fieldstones. A low concrete wall encompassing an area
144 feet by 96 feet encloses the cemetery. There are very large trees growing within the area.
This cemetery was re-surveyed January 2005 by Robert McLemore Butler. It is on private land owned by
[Ed: Rev. Campbell's wife was Elizabeth Kennedy]
File: Cem-CCGS..5..Rev. James Campbell Cemetery.doc RMB
Cumberland County Homepage
You are the
visitor since March 24, 2006