Cumberland County Cemeteries
Black River Township
Directory of Cemeteries
BLACK RIVER TOWNSHIP - CUMBERLAND COUNTY Black River Township, the northeasternmost township of Cumberland County, was established in 1869 with other North Carolina townships and is bounded on the east by Sampson County with Black Mingo Swamp and South River (once called Black River) as the boundary, on the south by Eastover Township (previously named Flea Hill Township) with the line running southeast-northwest just northeast of Wade, on the west by the Cape Fear River (once called the Northwest Branch of the Cape Fear River), and on the north by Harnett County with an east-west line running about 4 miles north of Godwin. Prior 1911, the northern boundary with Harnett County ran northeast from the junction of Lower Little River and the Cape Fear River (still the west end of the northern boundary line) to the junction of the Sampson and Johnston County lines.
ANTIOCH BAPTIST CHURCH (SITE) Located about 3/4 miles southsouthwest of Falcon. From N.C. 82, southwest and west 0.60 miles on S.R. 1806; at north side of road.
ANTIOCH BAPTIST CHURCH CEMETERY Located in Falcon at the north side of Front Street at Church Street, north of the church.
BAIN FAMILY CEMETERY Located about 4 1/2 miles eastsoutheast of Wade. From S.R. 1820 (Paul Williams Road), south and southeast 0.25 miles on S.R. 1821 (Oak Ridge Road), southwest and south 0.15 miles on a dirt road, at east side of road. Last burial 1977.
BLACK'S CHAPEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH CEMETERY Located about 1 mile eastnortheast of Godwin. From S.R. 1803, westsouthwest 0.22 miles on U.S. Route 301, 50 yards northwest of road.
OLD BLUFF PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH CEMETERY Located about 1 1/2 miles north of Wade near the east bank of the Cape Fear River. From U.S. Route 301, north 0.80 miles on S.R. 1802 (Sis Culbreth Road), west 0.5 miles to the end of S.R. 1709. Cemetery gates are at south side of road.
FALCON MEMORIAL (also FALCON PENTECOSTAL HOLINESS) CEMETERY Located in Falcon on the south side of the west end of Brooks Street Extension.
ALLMON GODWIN FAMILY CEMETERY Located about 3 1/2 miles south of Falcon. From U.S. Route 13, south 0.72 miles on S.R. 1820, east through a gate about 25 yards then south about 250 yards across a field and along the edge of the woods to the cemetery which is located in the eastern edge of the woods. Last burial 1923.
SIMEON GODWIN FAMILY CEMETERY Located about 2 1/2 miles south of Falcon. From U.S. Route 13, south on S.R. 1820 about 140 yards. at the east side of the road. Maintained. Last burial 1973.
GRAHAM FAMILY CEMETERY Located about one mile north of Falcon. From N.C. Route 82, north 0.45 miles on S.R. 1806 to the former G.L. Draughon house at the west side of the road, through the gate at the east side of the road, about 400 yards east and south on a road in the field. Maintained, last burial 1947.
McDONALD - McLELLAN FAMILY CEMETERY Located in Falcon. From N.C. Route 82 south of the Golden Years Nursing Home, east about 350 yards on Culbreth Street, north about 30 yards in the woods. Five McDon- ald tombstones have been moved to the Old Bluff Presbyterian Church. Last burial 1944.
JOHN McKETHAN FAMILY CEMETERY Located about 2 1/2 miles southwest of Godwin. From U.S. Route 301, northeast 1.55 miles on S.R. 1802 (Sis Culbreth Road) to the house of L.W. Thornton at the southeast side of the road, northwest 0.44 miles on the farm opposite his house to the edge of the woods, thence northeast along the edge of the woods about 150 yards. Last recorded burial 1843. All stones moved to Old Bluff Presbyterian Church about 1988.
JAMES THOMAS MATTHEWS FAMILY CEMETERY Located about 2 1/4 miles south of Falcon. From U.S. Route 13, eastnortheast 0.25 miles on N.C. Route 82, southsoutheast 100 yards on a dirt road, eastnortheast 100 yards across field in edge of woods. Maintained, last burial 1934.
LONNIE B. MATTHEWS FAMILY CEMETERY Located about 5 1/2 miles southsoutheast of Wade. From the South River Bridge (Sampson County line), 0.15 miles northwest on S.R. 1823 (Lonnie Matthews Bridge Road), southwest 100 yards on a dirt road. Fenced. Last burial 1972.
RONNIE MILLER GRAVE Located about 3 miles northeast of Godwin. From S.R. 1804 (Rhodes Bond Road), northnortheast 1.15 miles on U.S. Route 301, west 200 yards on a gravel road, south 30 yards to a fenced-in enclosure.
ALLEN STARLING FAMILY CEMETERY Located about 1/2 mile southsouthwest of Godwin. From the intersection of N.C. Route 82 and S.R. 1800 (Julian Street) in Godwin, southsouthwest 0.57 miles on a dirt road along the northwest side of the CSX railroad tracks then 20 yards westnorthwest from the road in the edge of the field. Maintained, last burial 1930.
STRICKLAND CEMETERY Located about 1 1/2 miles north of Falcon. From the overpass over Interstate 95, southsoutheast 0.20 miles on S.R. 1806, eastnortheast 0.18 miles on a sandy road along hedgerow; at the north side of road. Maintained, last burial 1986
Back to Cumberland County Home Page
To Cemetery Index Page