THE KELLY FAMILY OF THE UPPER CAPE FEAR RIVER VALLEY
Researched, compiled and contributed by Sam West, 4770 Old Whiteville Road, Lumberton, NC 28358
Contact: Myrtle Bridges April 3, 2013
Neill Kelly, a Scotsman, was born previous to the year 1750 and died in Cumberland County, North Carolina
by December 21, 1811. He was married to Mary, whose maiden name is yet unknown. She also died about the same
time as did her husband. It has not yet been proven, but it is thought that they were from Inverness-Shire in
Scotland as were many of the other Kellys who immigrated to the Upper Cape Fear River Valley. They were the
parents of four known children:
1) Angus Kelly, of whom see later.
2) Hugh Kelly, born in Cumberland Co NC about 1775, and died after 1850. He was never married.
3) Margaret Kelly, born in Cumberland Co NC about 1776, and died after 1850. She died unmarried.
4) Cathren Kelly, who married a Johnston/Johnson, and was widowed by the year 1811.
Angus Kelly was born in Cumberland County sometime about 1773, and died here in the year 1842. He was married to Sara Baker,
who was a daughter of Archibald and Margaret Baker, also of Cumberland County. When Sara was born and died is unknown, but we
do know that she had died by the year 1828, for during that year her widowed husband, along with her siblings and in-laws sold
their shares of her father's estate in Cumberland County.
Angus Kelly died in Cumberland County in the year 1844, and according to his Last Will and Testament, he was the father of nine
known children. These children were as now follows:
1) William John Kelly, who remained in Cumberland Co NC. On October 4, 1843 a bond was set for his marriage to Lovedy
McKethan. On May 20, 1856 a bond was set for his marrige to Catharine Buie. He was the father of at least one known child.
a) Neill A. Kelly
2) Mary Kelly, who was married to Japhet McNair. They moved to Coosa Co AL.
3) Margaret Kelly, who was born in Cumberland County, North Carolina on July 20, 1803. She was married to William McLeod,
who was born in 1800 in North Carolina. They migrated to Coosa Co AL, where he died on November 4, 1856, and she died on
March 20, 1877. They were buried in the Socopatoy Cemetery in Coosa Co AL. They were the parents of five known children.
These children were:
a) Angus McLeod.
b) Sarah McLeod, born December 21, 1830, and died on November 8, 1912 in Coosa CO AL.
c) Martha McLeod, born May 3, 1832, died December 26, 1897 in Coosa Co AL.
d) John Lovdy McLeod, born July 24, 1837, died July 17, 1893 in Coosa Co AL.
e) Julia McLeod, born July 27, 1842, died May 22, 1908 in Coosa Co AL.
4) Lovedy Kelly, who was married to John Smith. They remained in Cumberland Co NC.
5) Dr. James A. Kelly, who was married to Margaret Patterson. They moved to Coosa Co AL, where he died on May 2, 1877.
a) John B. Kelly, born in n 1837, died in Anniston, AL.
b) Sarah Ann Kelly "Sally", born in 1838, died November 7, 1852.
c) Matilda Kelly, born 1841.
d) Isabella Kelly, born 1843.
e) Catherine Kelly, born 1848.
f) Lovdy I Kelly, born 1850.
g) James A. Kelly, Jr., born May 16, 1856, died January 3, 1934.
6) Rev. Archibald B. Kelly, a Minister of the Gospel. Unmarried. He moved to Coosa Co AL, where he died after the year 1880.
7) Dr. Angus G. Kelly, who was born in North Carolina in October, 1812. He migrated to Coosa Co AL, where he died Feb. 11, 1847
at the age of 34 years and 4 months. He was not married.
8) Neill Kelly, who was married to Mary Stewart, a daughter of Daniel & Sally McBryde Stewart of Robeson Co NC. Both Neill & Mary
had died by 1849, leaving only one child.
a) Daniel S. Kelly
9) Sarah Kelly She was married to Dougald Baker. They remained in Cumberland Co NC.
Whats New in Cumberland
Index to Family Genealogies
Cumberland County Homepage
This page created April 3, 2013