Cumberland County Cemeteries
THOMAS (CLARK) CEMETERY - Seventy-First Township, 1902-1942. Located in a cleared area surrounded by woods (230' contour) in MacRidge Impact Area, approximatley 30' northeast of Morganton Road and 1600' northwest of Chicken Roa7. A tributary of Bones Creek lies 400' to the northwest while Bones Creek itself lies 1200' to the southwest. The approximately 36'x 27' cemetery is surrounded by two strands of barbed wire supported by 10 posts. It is marked "OFF LIMITS" on the west side next to Morganton Road and across from an ammunition residue turn-in compound. There are three markers, the oldest being that of Joe Eller (1891-1902), the most recent (other than a soldier's memorial placed in 1993) is Flore Clark (1867-1942). There is a memorial marker here for an unknown Union soldier buried in the vicinity (Corps of Engineers 1943). All markers and footstones face east. Two temporary metal markers were recorded during the original survey. One of these was located on the ground on the east side of the cemetery.
1 White Georgia Marble VA marker with flat arch top and Federal shield placed 1993 (Kern pers. comm. 1995). The epitaph is contained within the shield and the grave number (9) is on the back. UNKNOWN (arched) SOLDIER 9 2 Rough gray granite marker set on a flat top single stone base. Both the front of the stone and the surface of the base have been polished. The upper corners of the marker are decorated with a flowering vine motif. The marker has been damaged by rifle fire and some attempt to repair the holes with a cement compund has been made. The foot stones are short rectangles with polished flat topped surfaces containing the initials. THOMAS ------------------------------------ CHARLIE S. FLORE J. CLARK CST FJCT AUG. 28, 1860 HIS WIFE JUNE 12, 1934 APR. 22, 1867 JULY 8, 1942 (rifle damage) BELIEVING IN GOD. 3 White marble marker with a flat arch top set in a single low beveled base. The marker has been mended to the base with a cement compound. The footstone has a flat top. JOE ELLER J.E.T. daughter of Charlie & Flora J. Thomas Born Jan. 19, 1891 Died Sept. 1, 1902 ----- Gone, but not forgotten.
WHITEHEAD CEMETERY(Man & Wife)
Seventy-First Township, 1905-1909. One marker for two graves located in a wooded area (290' contour) near the southeast corner of the intersection of Yadkin and Reilly Roads. The first burial was for Moses Whitehead (1837-1905) who was joined by his wife Annie J. Chavis (1939-1909) four years later. The grave is surrounded by a 5x9' fence of cement posts with two rails of 1x6 planks bolted onto the posts. White Georgia Marble lecturn (approx. 4 1/2' high) with a beveled top set on a double low beveled base. The family name is inscribed on the second level of the base. A closed book is on the top surface and a band of floral design encircles the bottom of the lecturn. The motif above the epitaph on the east side is a heavenly gate with a star top center. The top west side corners are chipped, as is the northeast corner of both base levels. N East Side: An honest man is the noblest work of God. In life beloved in death lamented South Side: MOSES WHITEHEAD AUG. 7, 1837 APR. 7, 1905 (North Side:) ANNIE J. CHAVIS HIS WIFE SEPT. 14, 1839 AUG. 29, 1909
The authors are compiling genealogical data on the individuals found in these cemeteries. Please contact Beverly Boyko to contribute information.