Edgecombe was formed in 1732 from Bertie County by proclamation of the Governor and named for
Baron Richard Edgecombe. The county government apparently was established not long
afterwards since some of the county records date back to this period. The assembly, however, did not
confirm its creation until 1741.
The county is located in the eastern part of North Carolina and bordered by
Tarboro was established in 1760 and replaced Edgecombe Court
House as the county seat in 1764.
Halifax (1758), and Nash (1777) were formed from Edgecombe. Parts of Edgecombe,
Johnston, Nash, and Wayne were taken
in 1855 to form Wilson.