Return to Hyde Co. Main Page
History of Job's (Jobe's)
Chapel Baptist Church, Swan Quarter, NC; 1909-1975
Information provided by officers, older members of the church & Rev. John Chance in circa 1975
The Job's Chapel Church was founded by the late Job Greene in 1909. The first pastor was Rev. Sam Spencer. The church was a small wooden structure and was located on the site where the present church is located.
The first Deacon Board was made up of the following: Brother Stephen Spencer, Isaac Blount, Jeremiah White, Willie Green and Job Green, chairman. Other deacons were H.E. Greene, George Saunders, and Abel Fulford, Sr.
The following persons served as pastors of the church: Rev. Shed Barrow, Rev. Grant Moyer, Rev. Abel Fulford, Sr., Rev. Henderson Gibbs, Rev. Eddie Covil, and Rev. F.D. Williams. The present pastor is Rev. John Chance.
The present block and brick structure was built in 1964 while Rev. F.D. Williams served as pastor.
Some of the church Deaconess were Mrs. Mary Greene, Mrs. Zorida Credle, Mrs. Helen Fulford, Mrs. Decie Fulford, and Mrs. Katie Keys. Present deaconess are Mrs. Lossie Greene, Mrs. Lucy Greene, and Mrs. Zidia Fulford.
Some of the persons serving as secretaries were Mrs. Hettie Simmons, Mr. Frank M. Covil, Mrs. Lossie Greene, Mr. James Hardy, and Mrs. Flossie Selby. Mrs. Ella Green is now filling the office.
The church now has 84 members with Rev. John Chance serving as pastor and John Greene and Abel Fulford, Jr. as deacons.
Source for history: Microfilm #053.01010 from the North Carolina Dept. of Archives & History, Raleigh, NC
© 2018 Kay Midgett Sheppard