These are older or historic churches only. Some of these no longer exist, and some may have changed names. The list of current churches is too long to list all of them on this page, so I will limit this list to churches formed before 1900.
African Presbyterian Church (AA) ~ existed in 1884
All Saints Episcopal Church ~ Concord ~ history ~ active by 1877
Bellefonte Presbyterian Church (AA) ~ 8866 Rocky River Road, Harrisburg NC 28275 ~ history ~ organized May 1867
Bethel United Church of Christ (also known as Bear Creek UCC) ~ 18937 Bear Creek Church Road, Mount Pleasant, NC 28124 ~ established 1806
Bethel United Methodist Church ~ original church was located at Depot and Church Streets on South Church Street. Oldest Methodist Church in Cabarrus County, organized about 1783. Meetings were held in the arbor. Camp meetings were held here before the Civil War. The deed for the land for the first building was dated Oct 17, 1808, between Thomas McCahorn of Cabarrus County, of the one part; Thomas Love, Clabourn Freeman, Alexander McLarty, James McLarty, & John Garmon, Trustees. In 1835, more land was acquired, and a larger building was erected to replace the log structure that had been
used since 1810.
Bethel AME (Zion) Methodist Church (AA) ~ Concord ~ organized in 1872; church built 1893, rebuilt 1957. The church founders were James Bingham (Bill) Rose, Sr, Peter Harris, Charles Patterson, Alfred Phifer, William Patterson, and Jerry Hackett. The congregation bought 3 acres from Mr A. M. Cook, located about 1/2 mile from Mt. Olivet UMC near what is know as “Cook’s Crossing.” A church building and a cemetery was used for 16 years.. In 1888, the church fathers purchased a tract of land on Concord Lake Road, which was known as “Dog Trot.” The church was completed and cornerstone laid in 1893.
Bethpage Presbyterian Church ~ history ~ The sanctuary built in 1839 was torn down; the present sanctuary was built in 1956.
Bible Missionary Baptist – Concord, on Parks Lafferty Road
Calvary Lutheran ~ Concord
Cedar Grove AME Zion Church ~ 8193 Flowes Store Road, Concord
Cedar Grove Presbyterian ~ Concord
Center Grove Lutheran ~ Concord ~ active by 1884
Center Grove Lutheran ~ Kannapolis ~ located on Cannon Boulevard (US29) near Sumner and Utah Streets.
Center Grove United Methodist ~ SR200 at County Line Road
[Note: Old Mt. Moriah Church was merged with Asbury Church, and a new church was built in a grove centrally between the two, called Center Grove Church. ~ see this offsite link]
Center United Methodist Church ~ 1119 Union St South, Concord
Central Methodist Episcopal Church South ~ Concord ~ organized 1838.
Coldwater Lutheran ~ oldest Reformed Church in Cabarrus County. Rev. Samuel Suther was pastor in 1768. 1814 – Coldwater became a union church, Lutheran and Reformed. Lutheran Congregation withdrew in 1843, and the Reformed congregation had a different pastor. 1851- A new church was built a few miles from the original site and called Mt Gilead. 1888- The present church was built and called New Gilead.
Concord Lutheran – Concord. Active by 1877.
Concord Methodist ~ Kerr & Misenheimer Ave Concord ~ active by 1866.
Concord Presbyterian ~ active by 1866
Concord Presbyterian (AA) ~ active by 1877
Concord AME Methodist (AA) – Concord ~ active by 1872
Concord First Congregational United Church of Christ – 248 Tournament Dr , Concord , est 1913
Cornerstone Presbyterian Church ~ website ~ 401 Pitts School Road SW, Concord
East Bethel Baptist – Concord
Ebenezer AME Zion ~
Ebenezer Lutheran – Concord
1872 – Listed, but no name for Pastor
Ebenezer Methodist (AA) – Flows
1884 – _____ Hartry, Pastor
Faith Covenant – Concord
Faith Mission (AA) – 41 Market St., Concord
First Baptist – Concord Organized in 1886
First Baptist – Kannapolis
First Baptist Church of Mt Pleasant
8549 Lee Street, Mount Pleasant, NC 28124
First Congregational – Mt Pleasant
First Foursquare – Concord
First Presbyterian – Concord ~ Deed exists from Dec 14, 1804.
First Presbyterian Church ~ Kannapolis
Gilmore Chapel AME Zion Church – Founded in 1910, under the leadership of Rev Daniel Graham Gilmore, and a few others who saw the need for a church in the growing Shankeltown and Sidestown communities, they left the Mother Church, Rock Hill AME Zion Church and congregated at various places until a place of worship could be built.
The lay organization of the new church included: John L Caldwell, and wife Mary Jane, Mr & Mrs Alex Cannon,
Walter Cloud, George Cloud, William H Gillis, Nannine Littlejohn, Gave Littlejohn, and Bessie Douglas.
Court records show that land was purchased in 1910 from Mr W E Calloway. The church was built at the present
site and was named Gilmore Chapel in honor of Rev Dan Gilmore.
Haynes Meeting House – link to research done by George Thomas on this old church site and cemetery, that was more than likely located in Cabarrus County
Holy Trinity Lutheran – Mt Pleasant, now at Henkelite Cemetery
Howell’s Baptist – page down, short history
Jackson Park United Methodist Church – 715 Mable Ave, Kannapolis, NC
Lutheran Union – Mt Pleasant
1884 – T Moser, Pastor
Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
1500 South Main Street, Mount Pleasant, NC 28124
McGill Baptist – Concord
Mt. Carmel Baptist – on Gold Hill Road
Mt Carmel Lutheran – Mt Pleasant
1884 – G F Shaeffer, Pastor
Mt Gilead Lutheran ~
11199 Highway 73 East, Mount Pleasant, NC 28124
Mt Hermon Lutheran – Concord
1884 – S T Hollman, Pastor
Mt Mitchel Methodist – Concord
1872 – E J Bird, Pastor
Mt Olive Lutheran – Mt Pleasant
9400 Gold Hill Road Mount Pleasant, NC 28124
1884 – W Kimball, Pastor
Mt Pleasant Church of God
7920 West Franklin Street, Mount Pleasant, NC 28124
Mt Pleasant Evangelical Lutheran – Mt Pleasant
1877-78 – ____ Davis, DD, Pastor
Mt Pleasant Methodist – Mt Pleasant
1872 – S Leard, Pastor
Mt. Pleasant Pentecostal Holiness Church – Mt Pleasant
Mt Pleasant United Methodist Church – 1260 North College Street, Mount Pleasant, NC 28124
New Gilead Reformed UCC – 2400 Old Salisbury Rd Concord ~ est 1766
New Hope Baptist – Concord
New Hope (Methodist) (AA) – Concord
1884 – ______ Hartry, Pastor
New Grace Baptist – Concord
Oak Grove Baptist Church ~ 2319 North Mount Pleasant Road, Mount Pleasant, NC 28124
Oak Grove United Methodist Church ~ 32056 Herrin Grove Road, Mount Pleasant, NC 28124
Oak Ridge Baptist – Concord
Odell Baptist – Concord
OLD Coldwater Church – Not the present day Cold Water, early beginning of Mt Gilead
Parkers Chapel (AA)- 594 Old Charlotte Rd SW Concord
Pine Grove Baptist Church – 100 Pine Grove Church Rd, Concord HISTORY
Piney Grove Methodist (AA) – Concord
1884 – _____ Hartry, Pastor
Pleasant Grove AME Zion Church – church history has been traced back to 1884, wherein, it was founded and
established as Balance Chapel AME Zion Church. Thirty six years later, 1920, the old wooden church was rebuilt and
the name was changed to Pleasant Grove. The pastor at that time was Rev. Barnett.
From 1884-1963 the following pastors have served this church: Revs Ruth Peekie, Willie Gains, Peter W Wall,
Richardson, Daniel J Gilmore, CC Coleman, D B Dunlap, S A Kiser, and Dr S R Lomax.
In July of 1963 a new church building was built.
Pleasant Hill Baptist Church ~ 425 Mount Pleasant Road North, Mount Pleasant, NC 28124
Poplar Grove Baptist Church ~ 3476 Poplar Tent Road, Concord, NC 28027
Poplar Tent Presbyterian – Concord
Early years of the church Rev John Thompson preached under the shade of a large Poplar tree near the spring, which
is a short distance from the present building.
1866 – D A Pinnick, Jr, Pastor
Poplar Tent Zion Methodist
1884 – D W Smith, Pastor
Price Memorial AME Zion Church – located on the corner of Spring and Cline Sts, Concord, was built in 1895.
Under the leadership of Rev Walter Sides, enough money was raised to build this sanctuary. Warren C Coleman gave
the land and most of the money for building of the new structure.
Prosperity Lutheran ~ 1884 – R W Petrea, Pastor
Reeves’ Chapel (Methodist) (AA) – 4955 Hambry Branch Rd. Concord
1884 – ______ Hartry, Pastor
Rock Hill AME Zion Church (Zion Methodist) – 3620 Rock Hill Church Rd., Concord
1884 – D W Smith, Pastor HISTORY: In 1880, the founders: Brothers Sims, Gilmore and Richard Harris had a vision of an AME Zion church in Poplar Tent area of Cabarrus Co. On Jan 31, 1881, the trustees were deeded a nine acre tract of land. Purchased from John R & Margaret Means for $156.00. The third structure burned in 1890. On Aug 31, 1933 a new sanctuary was completed……….and was renovated in 1963. In 2006 the old building was demolished and a new church was built.
Rocky Ridge Baptist ~ Heathcliff Rd
Rocky Ridge Methodist – Concord
1872 – D R Praton, Pastor
Rocky Ridge Presbyterian – Concord
1877-78 – L McKennan, Pastor
Rocky River Presbyterian – Concord est. ca 1755
1755 – log church built on the hill on the south side of Rocky River.
First Pastor – Rev Alexander Craighead Nov 6, 1758-Mar 12, 1766
1768 – new log church built between the mouth of Black Creek and Reed Creek, 1/2 mile from Back Creek.
Hezekiah James Balch – Pastor Nov 15, 1769-1776
Robert Archibald – Pastor Nov 7, 1778-1792
Alexander Caldwell – Pastor 1793-Mar 29, 1797
John Makemie Wilson – Pastor Apr 30, 1802-Jul 30, 1831
1807 – frame church building 40×65 erected where the grave of Rev Daniel A Pennick (Penick) is located in the
Daniel Lindley – Pastor Nov 7, 1832-Apr 4, 1834
Daniel Allen Pinnick (Penick) – Pastor May 6, 1837-Jan 8, 1870
1859 – The present church building was built.
1866 – D A Pinnick (Penick) – Pastor
Joseph Bingham Mack – Pastor Aug 12, 1871-Dec 8, 1876
1872 – J B Mack, Pastor – Harrisonburg
1884 – J M Wharey, Pastor Jun 24, 1876-Jul 26, 1886
1877-78, J M Wharey, Pastor – Harris’ Depot
1888-1893 – John Gray Anderson – Pastor
1894-1896 – Richard Venable Lancaster – Pastor
1897-1899 – Cornelius Miller Pastor
1901-1908- Robert Junius Hunter- Pastor
1909-1916 – James Lapsley – Pastor
1916-1931 -Thomas Hugh Spence – Pastor
Noteworthy church items: First marriage was John Anderson (famous hunter) to a daughter of John Rogers, first settler
of Rocky River. First burial was James Ross, who drowned in the river near Back Creek. Buried in the first graveyard
nearby. First child born in the Rocky River settlement was Joseph Rogers, son of John Rogers.
Second Presbyterian Church (AA) – Concord
1869 – Luke Dorland, Pastor
Sharon Baptist – Concord
St James Lutheran – Concord Organized June 1843
St James United Church of Christ
1320 North Main Street, Mount Pleasant, NC 28124
St James Reformed Church – (same as above?)
1894 – Organized under the direction of Rev Paul Barringer
July 1896 – Church building was dedicated.
St John’s Evangelical Lutheran – Concord (also known as Dutch Buffalo Creek Church)
ca 1771 – Under the direction of Capt John Paul Barringer, the Lutherans separated from the Reformed brethren
and built their own church on a site in the present graveyard. Daniel Jarrett was the contractor, and the building
committee was Capt Barringer. The church was built largely from Capt Barringer’s own expense; and a large pew
was built for his family.
during Rev War – Adolphus Nussman first pastor
6 Nov 1784 – Resolution passed to build new building.
July 1785 – new building dedicated; it was called the “Old Red Meeting House”
1845 – Present building was built
1866 – L C Groseclose, Pastor
1872 – L C Groseclose, Pastor
1877-78 – W Petrea, Pastor
1884 – R W Petrea, Pastor
1888 – Church was remodeled
St Martins Lutheran – Bost’s Mill
1884 – T Moser, Pastor
St Paul’s Methodist
1869 – E A Simmons, Pastor
St Stephen’s Evangelical Lutheran – Gold Hill
1884 – W Kimball, Pastor
St Stephens Wesleyan Methodist Church
off of Barrier-Georgeville Rd on Brusharbor Road
Trinity Lutheran - 3747 Trinity Church Rd., Concord – 150 years of Ministry
Trinity Reformed Church – 38 Church Rd NE., Concord est 1881
May of 1884 – Cornerstone was laid.
1885 – First meeting held in new church
1886 – Dedication sermon preached by Dr G W Welker.
1926 – New building dedicated, Rev H A Fesperman preached the sermon.
Trinity Lutheran – Mill Hill
1884 – W A Lutz, Pastor
Union Methodist – Concord
1869 – R R Pegues, Pastor
1872 – T L Triplet, Pastor
1877-78 – ____ Thomas, Pastor
Zion AME Methodist (AA)- began as Zion Chapel in 1859, oldest African American church in Concord. Zion Wesley Institute was started to educate church members……later changed to Livingstone College which relocated to Salisbury.Members of this church formed Price Temple, which is now Price Memorial AME Zion Church in 1895. Then some members of this church started the First Congregational Church in 1902, which is now the First United Church of Christ. (Concord, a bicentenial sketch – Clarence E Horton, Jr)
1884 – J M Hill, Pastor