Education in Camden County
Camden’s early days, there were no public schools. Only the wealth could seek higher education through private schools. By 1840 the state began to sponsor public school for its young people and by 1884, Camden had 29 schools in the county. These units consisted of one or two teacher schools with education for both white and colored students.
By the tum of the Century, Camden still maintained about 22 schools within walking distance for students. But, in 1913, South Mills built a high school with grades 1 – 11 as did Old Trap in 1921, Shiloh in 1923, and the Camden in 1926. Thus, in the 1920’s, Camden County had 4 high schools.
By 1945, South Camden was sending its high school students to Elizabeth City while South Mills retained their high school. The citizens of Camden began to demand a school system of its own and a referendum was passed to create a high school for white and colored students. Thus, in 1952, Camden High School was established for white students and Sawyer Creek High School was opened for the black students. South Mills retained its elementary school into the 1960’s. In 1955, Sawyer Creek High School was opened for the black students. South Mills retained its elementary school until the 1960’s. In 1955 Sawyer Creek High School was named Marion Anderson High School with W.C. Witherspoon principal. In 1969, the schools were totally integrated and today Camden has three schools: Grandy Primary (Grades k – S), Camden Middle School Grades (6-8) and Camden High School (Grades 9 -12).