There have been 3 jail houses built on the site where the current Historic Jailhouse now sits. The first jail was used until the 1880’s; after which, a second jail was constructed. The second jail burned down in 1910 as a result of an attempted escape. The third jailhouse was constructed of brick, in 1910, and served the county until the 1940’s when Camden began sending its prisoners to the Tri-County Jail, which currently houses prisoners from Camden, Pasquotank, and Perquimans.
The third jail, a two-story structure, has been restored to its original appearance. The first floor now houses the Board of Elections. The second floor has the original bull-pen containing 4 cells. Also on the second floor is a small museum which uses pictures and artifacts to relate the history of Camden. Outside, stocks and a pillory have been rebuilt to show punishment used in the 18th Century.
In the summer of June 2015 The Camden County Jail was being repaired. The old jail is being re-pointed. A bonus to this project is that the source of the water leakage has been identified and was fixed.
Pictures and information Contributed by: Anne Burgess Jennings