THIS SECTION IS CONTINUED FROM THE PREVIOUS PAGE:
The following excerpts are quoted from History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Her People, Greensboro, N. C., by Rev. S. M. Rankin; published by Jos. J. Stone & Co., Greensboro, NC, (publication date not specified, but apparently during the 1920′s), pages 22 -__.
Readers are encouraged to verify information contained in this chapter with their own research. There are errors, as source documents from two centuries ago have been misinterpreted. Rev. Rankin assumed that anyone living near the church must have been a member, and attributes some people to the membership who were in fact Quakers. “War” in these notes refers to the Revolutionary War. Unfortunately, Rev. Rankin did not cite his sources, or footnote his statements.
OTHER MEMBERS OF THE CONGREGATION
[continued from first web page]
Alexander Caldwell, a brother of Dr. David Caldwell, bought 275 acres on North Buffalo in 1771 and located here. He lost his health by exposure in the army and died shortly after the War. His widow and children moved to Tennessee.
Robert Donnell, the second, came from York County, Pennsylvania, and located on the north side of North Buffalo in 1771. His wife was Mary, and their children appear to have been William, Elizabeth, Daniel, Samuel, Sarah, Robert and George. William married Mary, daughter of Samuel Bell, in 1773 and moved to Tennessee in 1797; Elizabeth married Robert Donnell, son of Thomas, Sr., in 1775; Daniel married first Mary, daughter of Robert Ervin, and second Catherine, daughter of Ralph Gorrell, Sr., in 1816; Samuel became a Presbyterian minister and was pastor of Spring Creek Church, Tennessee; Sarah married John Donnell, son of Robert, Sr., in 1779; Robert married first Jennie Morrison, in 1790, and second Mrs. Nancy Cabe Latta, daughter of John and Mary Strayhorn Cabe, of Orange County, in 1820; George married Lydia, daughter of Arthur and Lydia Forbis, and located on the Reedy Fork.
The four Donnell families that located here must have been closely related. Thomas, Sr., and Robert, Sr., who came in 1753, were brothers; James, Sr., who came in 1760, and Robert, the second, who came in 1771, may have been nephews of Thomas and [end of page 42] Robert, Sr. In 1790 the Donnell families had a great reunion, and one of the old men laughingly asked, “What do you suppose has become of the ‘O’ we cast overboard at sea, by this time?” This would indicate that they all came overseas together, and that the name was O’Donnell in Ireland. They were all descendants, or related to, Donald I (861-863), King of Scotland. The writer was told by the late Dr. John A. McDonald, editor of the Toronto Globe, Toronto, Canada, that the Donnells, O’Donnells, Donalds, and McDonalds were all of the same blood with a common ancestor.
Moses McLean located here on the head waters of North Buffalo in 1772. His first wife was Mary, and in 1796 he married Susannah Dick, perhaps a daughter of William. His children by his first wife were John, William, Samuel, and perhaps others, and by his second wife, Benjamin F. John and William moved to Tennessee after the War; Samuel remained here and his children were James, Carrol, John Calvin, Zilla, Serena, Joseph Addison, Fountain B. and Elizabeth. James and Carrol moved to the far west; John Calvin married Rebecca, daughter of Samuel Rankin, in 1829; Zilla married first William Rankin, son of Samuel, in 1827, and second Frank Roberts in 1832; Serena married Eli Denny, son of Thomas, in 1834; Joseph Addison married first Matilda Doak in 1825, and second Martha D., daughter of John and Sarah McAdoo Hanner, in 1836; Fountain B. married first Hannah, daughter of William and Anne Hatrick Donnell, in 1828, and second Mrs. Malinda Foust, daughter of John and Rhoda Webb Wharton, in 1870; Elizabeth married John Denny, son of Thomas, in 1841. Benjamin F., the youngest son of Moses, married Isabella, daughter of William Denny, in 1824.
Governor Alexander Martin was the son of Rev. Hugh Martin, a Presbyterian minister of New Jersey. He was educated at Princeton, J. J. He came to North Carolina in 1762 and located on the Dan River. There he erected a handsome home and named it Danbury. In 1772 he bought a home at Guilford Court House, and lived there part of the time. The name of the village was changed to Martinsville in his honor. He accompanied Dr. Caldwell to Gov. Tryon’s camp the day before the Alamance battle, and Dr. Caruthers says he and Dr. Caldwell [end of page 43] “were very intimate.” He must have been a member of the Buffalo congregation while he was living at Martinsville, only four miles from the church.
John Maxwell located on the Reedy Fork in 1772. Some of his children were John, Samuel and Thomas. Samuel lived at the home place and died there about 1806, and his children were Robert, Samuel, Alexander, Margaret, Elizabeth, Hannah, James and Catherine. Samuel, Jr., married Mary, daughter of Ralph Gorrell, Sr.; Margaret married William Phibbs; Elizabeth married Thomas McNeeley; Hannah married William Lockhart. These were all members of the Buffalo congregation. Some of the Maxwell familiy located farther east and united with the Haw River Church. In 1808 the heirs of Samuel Maxwell, Sr., sold to Newton and Clement Cannon, uncles of Joseph G. Cannon, United States Congressman from Illinois, 1,720 acres in Williamson County, Tennessee. The Maxwells must have gotten this land in payment for war service.
William Dent, son of Peter and Mary Brooke Dent, of Maryland, came to North Carolina about 1773 and located at Guilford Court House. He was a member of the county court for many years. He had married Virlinda Bell in Maryland in 1759, and their children were Mary, William, Peter, Samuel and Anne. Mary married first Major James Campbell in 1777, and second Smith Moore, son of Risdon and Mary Smith Moore; Anne married Risdon Moore, son of Charles and Mary Cooper Moore. All of these except the Smith Moore family moved to Hancock County, Ga., about 1790. There Col. William Dent died about 1805, and in 1813 most of these Georgia families moved to Illinois. Charles S. Deneen, a great-great-grandson of Col. William Dent, was governor of Illinois, 1905-1909, and later United States Senator.
There appears to have been two Russell brothers, David and William, who settled here about 1772; David on the Alamance and William on the Reedy Fork. William’s wife was Eleanor and their children were Robert, William, Jr., John, David, James, Alexander, Elizabeth and Martha. This family later became affiliated with the Haw River Church. Robert D., the son of William, Jr., became a Presbyterian minister. [end of page 44]
William Gowdy, Esq., located here before 1773. He was a ruling elder at that date. His second wife was Mrs. Jane Paisley White, widow of John White and sister of Col. John Paisley. His children by his first wife were Elizabeth, Sarah, Robert, John, William, Jr., James and Rebecca. Elizabeth married Henry Billingsley in 1784; Sarah married John Anderson in 1793; Robert and John moved to Sumner County, Tenn.; William, Jr., married Anne Anderson in 1792 and moved to South Carolina; James married Rebecca, daughter of John Ross, in 1795 and died shortly thereafter; Rebecca married Joel Murray. William Gowdy, Sr., died in 1795.
Henry, James and John Ross appear to have been brothers. All lived on Horsepen Creek about 1773. Their father may have been located here, but no record of him has been found. Henry married a daughter of ruling elder John Anderson, and moved to Tennessee about 1797; James married and lived just across the road from the new Battle Ground Methodist Church; John married Mary, daughter of Robert Mitchell, and their children were Rebecca, Nancy, Margaret, Mary, Jane, Thomas, John, James and Andrew.
Joseph McDowell came from Pennsylvania and located on Richland Creek about 1774. His children were Joseph, Mary, Elizabeth, Hannah, James and John. Joseph, Jr., married Martha, daughter of John and Jane Paisley White; Elizabeth married Mr. Duff; Hannah married Mr. Ferguson; James returned from the army after his father’s death; John was killed or died in the army. Joseph, Sr., died in 1797 and the family moved to Tennessee and later to Kentucky.
John White married Jane, daughter of William Paisley, Sr., in Pennsylvania and came to North Carolina about 1774 and located on Richland Creek. Their children were William and Martha. William died young; Martha married Joseph McDowell, Jr., and their children were Joseph, Martha, Jane, Elizabeth, James and Abner. In 1801 this family moved to Kentucky. John White died in 1787, and his widow became the second wife of William Gowdy, Esq.
James White, perhaps a nephew of John, came to North Carolina about the same time John came. He married Rebecca, [end of page 45] daughter of William Scott, and in 1791 he sold out and moved to Tennessee.
John McMurray located on Horsepen Creek in 1774. His wife was Ewing, and their children were James, Elizabeth, Margaret, John, William, Jean and Robert. James married first Elizabeth L., daughter of Nathaniel Brown, in 1774, and second Elizabeth, daughter of John Smith, Sr., in 1795. He lived on Mears Fork for a while and in 1795 located on Rock Creek’ Elizabeth married John Kerr; Margaret married Samuel Mitchell, son of Adam, in 1795; John married Mary, daughter of Adam Mitchell, and died without issue; William’s wife was Margaret and he lived at the home place and reared a family; Robert married Mary, daughter of Samuel Scott, Jr., in 1791 and moved to Tennessee. John McMurray, Sr., died in 1789.
Daniel Daugherty settled on the Reedy Fork about 1774. His wife was Elizabeth, and their children were James, John, William, Daniel, Hannah, and perhaps others. He died in 1786.
Patrick McGibbony located on the Reedy Fork about 1776. After the War he located on the head waters of South Buffalo where J. B. Stroud now lives. He married Margaret Denny in 1783, and their children were David, John, Margaret, Jane, Isabel and Martha. David married Elizabeth Elliot and left several children, one of whom, Jane, married Emsley Armfield; John moved to Mecklenburg County; Margaret married Patrick Gillespie, son of Col. Daniel; Jane married Isaiah Weatherly; Isabel married John McClintock, Jr.; Martha married John B. Stafford. Capt. Patrick McGibbony and Col. Daniel Gillespie were specially good friends and war cronies. Capt. McGibbony willed Col. Gillespie a slave to wait on him, and Col. Gillespie named one of his sons Patrick.
James Campbell was living at the Court House in 1777. He may have located there earlier. He married Mary Dent in 1777 and died in 1781. He may have been killed in the War. He had at least one son, John. He may have received a grant of land in Tennessee for war service, for in 1795 John sells to John Smith 1,000 acres on Duck River there.
Major John Campbell was living at the Court House at the same time. James and John were no doubt brothers. These [end of page 46] families moved away before 1800 and we have not been able to trace them.
John Burney located on Sugar Tree Creek in 1777, securing from the state a grant for 640 acres. His wife was Catherine, and their children were Elizabeth, Rebecca, Robert, John, William, Samuel and Mary.
Charles Burney, a brother of John, located on the north side of South Buffalo Creek about 1778. Charles died in 1787, leaving the following children: William, Rebecca, Jane, Robert and others.
Thomas Henderson, son of Samuel and Elizabeth Williams Henderson, of Granville County, located on the Dan River in what is now Rockingham County. In 1778 he married Jane, a sister of Gov. Alexander Martin. He was clerk of the Guilford County Court from 1778 to 1785, and made his home at Martinsville part of the time. Their children were Alexander, Samuel, Polly, Jane, Nathaniel and Fanny. In as much as the wife and mtoher in the home was a daughter of a Presbyterian minister the family must have attended Buffalo while living at Martinsville.
There appears to have been two Weatherly brothers, Edward and William, who settled between North Buffalo and Reedy Fork about 1778, and there was another Weatherly family on South Buffalo.
Edward Weatherly’s wife was Henrietta, and their children were Mark, Edward, William, Martin, Sarah, Elizabeth, Mary, Henrietta and Deborah. Sarah married William McClintock in 1793; Elizabeth became the secodn wife of Samuel Fulton in 1796; Mary married Aaron Bishop; Henrietta married James Stafford; Deborah married Elkanah Chilcutt.
William Weatherly located on the Reedy Fork and his children were Abner, Joseph and others. Abner was sheriff of the county. He married Jane, daughter of Samuel Fulton, and their children were Abner, Jr., Andrew, Peter, William and others.
William Dixon located on the Reedy Fork in 1778. He had two sons and four daughters. Some of this family are buried in Buffalo cemetery. In 1807 he sold his farm and moved away. [end of page 47]
Nathan Lester came from Pennsylvania and located on North Buffalo during the Revolutionary War. He died in 1790, leaving at least two children, Nathan, Jr., and Reuben. The wife of Nathan, Jr., was Millie, and their children were Elizabeth, Ibby, Margaret and William. Elizabeth married Mr. Ozment; Ibby married Mr. Harris; and Margaret married James Spence, son of Nathan; William (1796-1834) was a successful teacher. Nathan, Sr., may havea been the son of Joseph, who was living at Martinsville in 1784.
John Hancock located here in 1778. His children were Jehu and Patsy Anne. Jehu sold the home place to Joseph Donnell in 1840 and located somewhere else. John Hancock died in 1833.
The Creswell family, consisting of the mother, Jean, and children, Margaret, James, William and Mary, located on Reedy Fork about 1778. This may have been the widow and children of Rev. James Creswell, former pastor of Haw River Church. Margaret married Mr. Short; James and William never married; Mary became the second wife of Andrew Donnell. James died in 1822 and left a bequest to the church, and in appreciation of this the congregation erected a stone at his grave.
James McGready, of Pennsylvania, located on Brush Creek about 1778, buying a farm on Brush Creek from Dr. Caldwell. His wife was Jean, and their children were William, John, James, David, Samuel, Moses, Juda, Aaron, Israel and Hannah. (Notice the Bible names in this family.) William and John first located on North Buffalo just west of Walter L. Wharton’s, and in 1797 sold out and moved to Sumner County, Tennessee; James abecame the great evangelistic preacher. The story of his life says he joined Buffalo at the age of seventeen. Most of the McGready families followed Rev. James to Tennessee and Kentucky in 1797.
John Christopher located on North Buffalo in 1779. His wife was Jean. They were members of the church. In 1800 they sold out and moved away.
Thomas Lindsay was operating a store at the Court House in 1779. He may have been an older brother of Robert, or he may have been an uncle. Thomas Lindsay either was killed in the War or died about 1781. His wife’s name was Mary. [end of page 48]
Alexander Gray located on Reedy Fork in 1780. In 1782 he secured from the state 850 acres on the south side of Buffalo Creek and located there. Part of this land is still owned by his great-great-grandson, Walter A. Montgomery. His wife was Margaret, and their children were Alexander, Jane, Anne, Thomas, Margaret, Elizabeth, James and Sarah. Alexander married Mary, daughter of Thomas Hamilton; Jane married William Denny, son of Walter; Anne married John Starrett, son of James; Thomas married and located just east of his father’s place; Margaret married Mr. Walker; Elizabeth never married; James married and located near Bethel Church; Sarah married Joseph Denny, son of Walter. Alexander Gray, Sr., died in 1832.
John Dunlap located on North Buffalo in 1783. He died in 1805, leaving the following children: John, Margaret and Robert. There was a Mr. Dunlap here near the close of the War who had married a sister of Mrs. David Caldwell, and this may have been the brother-in-law of Dr. Caldwell.
General Andrew Jackson was admitted to the bar in Guilford County in 1787. He lived in the home of Francis McNairy, a member of Buffalo, and must have attended the preaching of Dr. Caldwell. He joined the Presbyterian Church later in life. He and John McNairy went to Tennessee in 1788; McNairy as the judge in the western district, and Jackson as the prosecuting attorney. He was president of the United States two terms, 1829-1837.
Hance McCain lived near the Court House. He married Jennet, daughter of ruling elder Arthur Forbis, in 1788. He may have been here a few years before that. Their children were Mary, Hugh, John, Hance, George, Forbis, Guy, Green, William and Lydia.
Alexander and Hugh McCain, brothers of Hance, also located here about 1787, and reared families. Their father may have located here at an earlier period, but no record of him has been found. These were all Scotch-Irish Presbyterians; and they and their families were members of the Buffalo congregation.
Watson Wharton, son of Hinmon, of Sussex County, Delaware, came here in 1787. He first located on Buffalo Creek, [end of page 49] the Dan R. Huffines place. In 1796 he bought of Robert Smith a farm on both sides of North Buffalo, where Walter L. Wharton now lives. His first wife was Martha Evans, and his second wife was Mrs. Angeletta Evans Schoolfield. The children by the first marriage were Elam, Jesse, Elisha, Tabitha, John, Anne, Gideon, and Martha, and by the second marriage Evans. Elam married Elizabeth, daughter of William Rankin, in 1791, and lived on Reedy Fork, and owned what was later known as the Doggett’s Mill; Jesse died young; Elisha married first Elizabeth Schoolfield, a daughter of his father’s second wife, in 1796, and second Mrs. Martha Young Porter, sister of Col. Matthew Young, in 1818, and lived on Buffalo Creek where Montford Huffines now lives; Tabitha married John Chambers Rankin, son of William, in 1801, and lived at the old John Chambers place, three miles north of the church; John married Sarah, daughter of William Rankin, in 1800, and lived for thirty years near Alamance Church, then moved west; Anne married Col. Willam Gott and lived in Greensboro; Gideon married Mary, daughter of Thomas Woodburn, and lived two miles east of his father’s place; Martha married Arthur Woodburn, son of Thomas, in 1805; Evans married Benitha, daughter of Leven Caulk, in 1808, and lived at the home place. Watson Wharton died in 1813.
For the history of the Whartons and the complete genealogy of the Watson Wharton family see “Rankin and Wharton Families and Their Genealogy,” by S. M. Rankin.
John Schoolfield came to North Carolina from Delaware with his stepfather, Watson Wharton, in 1787. He married first Agnes, daughter of William Rankin, in 1800, and located three miles northeast of the church. Their children were Betsy Ann, Sarah, Joseph, William, Jane, John E., Rankin C., Nancy, Daniel G. and Samuel. His second wife was Mary Climer, and their children were Angeletta and Mary. Betsy Ann married Jeremiah Dean in 1820; Sarah was the second wife of Samuel Hatrick, son of Robert; Joseph moved to Tennessee; William married Rhoda Webb, and moved to Kentucky; Jane and John E. died unmarried; Rankin C. married Sarah, daughter of Samuel Cummins, and moved to Clay County, Mo.; Nancy died young; Daniel G. married first Elizabeth King, second Lavinia Brewer, and third Elizabeth Wooters in 1856; Dr. Samuel married [end of page 50] Bettie Freeland, and lived near Bethel Church for a while, afterwards moved to Mississippi, and later to Illinois, where he died.
Benjamin Aydelotte, a young man, came to North Carolina from Maryland, and bought a farm of Francis Bell on Sugar Tree Creek (now Jordan’s Branch), a mile and a half northeast of the church in 1789. He married Tabitha, daughter of Nathan Hill, and their children were Parker, Shealy, Shadrack, Leven, Lucy and Sarah. Parker married Mary Shaw in 1803; Shealy married Joseph Spruce in 1797; Shadrack moved to California; Leven married Lavenia, daughter of James Coots, and James B. Minor is a grandson of that union; Lucy married William Covey in 1817; Sarah married Mr. Wooters. There were other Aydelotte families in the county before Benjamin came. He died in 1813.
William Gorrell, son of Ralph, Sr., of Alamance Church, married Jean, daughter of George Black, in 1791, and located about three miles north of Buffalo Church. Their children were Agnes, Ralph, Catherine, Jennie and Marianna. Agnes married in Staunton, Va.; Ralph married Deborah Busick in 1822; Catherine married John Davis in 1819; Jane married Caleb Dean in 1826. William Gorrell died in 1816.
Robert Doak, son of John, of Alamance Church section, bought of James McQuiston a farm on the head waters of North Buffalo in 1795 and located there. His wife was Hannah, and their children were Rebecca, John, James, Robert, William, Hannah, Elizabeth, Daniel and Mary. Rebecca married Robert Gorrell, son of Ralph, Sr.; Col. William married Thankful, youngest daughter of Col. Daniel Gillespie, in 1802; Hannah never married; Elizabeth married Thomas Caldwell, son of Rev. Dr. Caldwell; Mary married David Gorrell, son of Ralph, Sr., and died shortly thereafter.
Nathan Spence located on the Reedy Fork in 1796, buying there 500 acres. He died about 1800, leaving two children, James and Polly, and perhaps others. Polly married John Donaldson in 1799; James married Margaret, daughter of Nathan and Millie Lester. James died in 1826, leaving one child, Eliza, who married Lorenzo D. Orrell. Mrs. Margaret [end of page 51] Spence was for many years the senior living member on the Buffalo Church roll.
Robert Lindsay (1776-1818), son of Robert, Sr., located at the Court House about 1797, and operated a store. His father lived ten miles southwest of the church. As he was a Scotch-Irish Presbyterian, he must have attended Buffalo Church. Robert, Jr., married Letitia, daughter of Jeduthan Harper, of Randolph County, in 1803, and their children were Jeduthan H., Jesse H., Robert G., Anne Eliza and Mary. Jeduthan H. married Miss Strange; Jesse H. married Amelia Gazel Ellison; Robert G. married Miss Marianna P. Austin and lived in Greensboro; Anne Eliza married Governor John M. Morehead; Mary married James Turner Morehead. Robert Lindsay died in 1818 and is buried in Buffalo Cemetery.
James Doak, son of John, of Alamance Church, bought of Rebecca, James and Jean Boyd a farm on Reedy Fork and located there in 1799. He had married Mary, daughter of William Paisley, Sr., in 1775. Their children were Eleanor, Mary, John, Jean, Martha, William P., Robert and James W. Eleanor married Thomas Blair, Jr., 1800; Mary married Alexander Whem. All of these with the exception of James W. went to Tennessee to lands willed them by their father. James Doak, Sr., died in 1806.
William Woodburn, son of Thomas, of Alamance Church section, married Thankful, daughter of William Cusack, in 1798, and located two miles northeast of Buffalo Church. He died in 1806, leaving one child, Anne, who married David Wiley, of Alamance Church, and was the mother of Dr. Calvin H. Wiley and Mrs. Ascenith Denny, wife of George A. Denny.
David Woodburn, son of Thomas, of the Alamance Church section, married Sarah, daughter of Andrew Donnell, in 1799, and located on North Buffalo. Their children were Nancy, Robert T., Ascenith, Elial, Sarah, Anna and James Morrison. Nancy married James Weatherly, Jr.; Robert T. married Brazilla, daughter of Joseph Rankin, in 1829; Asenith married David Forbis, son of Hugh, in 1826; Elial moved to Wadesboro; Anna and James Morrison died unmarried. David Woodburn died in 1834. [end of page 52]
Col. William Ryan, son of John and Nellie McAdoo Ryan, married Mrs. Jane McAdoo Scott, widow of Samuel Scott, Jr. Jr., and daughter of James McAdoo, Sr., in 1799, and located on Richland Creek. Their children were Eliza and Jane. Eliza married John M. Gilchrist, and Jane married Col. William Denny. Col. Ryan died in 1843.
The first we know of Thomas McNeely is his marriage to Elizabeth, daughter of Samuel Maxwell, about 1800. It is thought he came from Rockingham County. Their children were James, Samuel, Alexander and Easter. James married first Lavaenia, daughter of Adam Scott, in 1828, and second Isabella, daughter of Adam Mitchell, in 1846; Alexander married first Epsy Caroline, daughter of Thomas Scott, in 1838, and second Malvina, daughter of James and Nancy Scott Donnell, in 1843; Easter married John V. Jones. Several of the McNeely families later went to the Methodist church.
Samuel Rankin, son of John and Hannah Carson Rankin, married Mary, daughter of William and Rebecca Scott, in 1800, and located two miles north of the church. Their children were William, Hannah, Alexander, John Scott, Rebecca, Margaret and Nancy. William married Zillah, daughter of Samuel McLean, in 1827; Hannah married Rankin Donnell, son of Thomas and Nancy Rankin Donnell, in 1823; John Scott married Almira Matilda Alexander, of Mecklenburg County, in 1833 and located there; Rebecca married John Calvin McLean, son of Samuel, in 1829; Margaret married Dr. William D. Scott, son of Adam, in 1836; Nancy married Roddy E. Hanner, son of John and Sarah McAdoo Hanner, in 1841; Alexander died young.
John Chambers Rankin, son of William, married Tabitha, daughter of Watson Wharton, in 1801, and located at the home place of his grandfather, John Chambers, north of the church. Their children were Jesse, Jane, William, Martha, Malinda, John C., Jr., Watson W., Tabitha and Samuel D. Rev. Jesse married first Polly M., daughter of Rev. William D. Paisley, in 1825, and second Anne Delight, daughter of David D. Salmon, of Fayetteville, in 1831; Jane married James Wharton, son of Elisha, in 1822; William died at the age of seventeen years; Martha mararied Ibson Cannon, of Cabarrus County, in 1830; Malinda married [end of page 53] Watson W. Wharton, son of Elisha, in 1832; Rev. Dr. John C. married first Sarah Comfort, of New Jersey, in 1840, and second Mrs. Callie Donnell Scales, daughter of James and Nancy Scott Donnell; Dr. Watson W. married Sarah E., daughter of J. R. Alexander, of Rowan County; Tabitha married Richard Cowan, of Rowan County, in 1847; Dr. Samuel D. married Mary Ella, daughter of Robert Gillespie, of Rowan County, in 1843. John C. Rankin, Sr., died in 1858.
John Hanner, son of Robert, married Anna, daughter of Col. John Gillespie, in 1802, and that same year bought of Col. Gillespie a farm on the south side of South Buffalo, later known as the John A. Young nursery tract. Their children were Jane, Alfred E., John G., Orpheus S., Malinda, Daniel J., Anne Eliza, Allen A., Caroline and two others who died young. Jane married Joseph Armfield; Col. Alfred E. died unmarried; Dr. John G. moved to Chatham County; Orpheus S. married Margaret E. Goldston; Daniel J. married Susan J., daughter of Col. Matthew Young; Anne Eliza married William G. Tucker in 1859; Caroline married Robert C. Young, son of Col. Matthew; Malinda and Allen A. never married. John Hanner, Sr., died in 1850.
Robert Hatrick bought of John Nicks 400 acres south of North Buffalo, where the Liberty Hill store stands, in 1804 and located there. He was born in Ireland in 1757, and was the son of Samuel and Christianna Smart Hatrick. He came to Guilford in 1776 and shortly thereafter married his first cousin, Rachel, daughter of Walter Denny. Their children were Elizabeth M., Anna, Sarah G., Samuel and Isabella. Elizabeth and Isabella never married; Anna married William Donnell, son of Andrew, in 1824; Sarah G. married Samuel H. Denny, son of William, in 1830; Samuel married first Lucinda, daughter of Evans Wharton, in 1829; and second Sarah, daughter of John Schoolfield, in 1843. Robert Hatrick died in 1838.
Dr. William Tease bought of William Dick a home in Martinsville in 1805, and located there for the practice of medicine. A number of the wills and deeds of the Buffalo members were witnessed by him. He must have been a member of the congregation.
Hugh Kirkpatrick bought a farm on the Reedy Fork in 1806. John Kirkpatrick secured from Earl Granville 300 acres [end of page 54] on North Buffalo in 1756. This Hugh may have been a son of John. We have found no papers of the settlement of John’s estate. Hugh married Martha Nelson, and their children were William, Hugh, Naomi, Sarah, Ruth and Martha. William married Rebecca _______, and died, leaving one child, Elizabeth; Hugh, Jr., moved to Kentucky; Naomi married Francis Walker; Sarah married Isaac Warford; Ruth married James Fitzgerald. Hugh, Sr., died in 1832. Elijah may have been a brother of Hugh, Sr., as his name appears on the court house records about the same time.
Simeon Geren was living at the John C. Wharton place, one mile east of Greensboro, in 1809. He and his son Abraham sold this place to Reuben Dick in 1827. Abraham’s wife, Rebecca (1786-1822) is buried in our cemetery, and the family must have been members of Buffalo. Eliza C., a sister of Abraham, married William N. Gibson in 1826; another sister, Polly, married Isaac Gibson in 1827. Simeon and Abraham Geren were merchants in Greensboro. Simeon Geren was sheriff of the county in 1812.
Robert Moderwell came to Greensboro from Staunton, Va., in 1814 and operated a store. He had married Martha Shields. They united with Buffalo. There were no children. Robert Moderwell died in 1836.
Judge John M. Dick, son of James, of the Rock Creek section, located in Greensboro for the practice of law in 1816. He married Parthenia Paine Williamson, of Person County, and their children were James W., Robert P., John G. A., William A., Edward L., Fred N., Suan, Mildred J. and Annie W. James W. married first Bettie G. Wright, and second Lucy M. Brown; Judge Robert P. married Mary Eloise, daughter of George Adams, of Pittsylvania County, Va., in 1848; John G. A. married Mary E. Dodson in 1861; William A. married Miss McQueen, of Wilmington; we have no record of Fred N.; Susan married first Absolom T. Humphreys, son of Henry, in 1842, second Dr. D. P. Weir, and third David B. Bell, of Enfield, N. C., in 1881; Mildred J. married Col. William S. Rankin, son of John Calvin, in 1867; Edward L. and Annie W. died unmarried. [end of page 55]
Daniel Albright, son of Jacob, of Orange County, bought 600 acres two miles west of the church and located here in 1817. He married Katie Loy, and their children were Jacob, George, William, Sophia, Daniel, Henry, Lewis, Elias and Joel. Jacob is the one who secured the contract and erected the present church building in 1827. He married Sarah Albright, of Orange County; George married Patsy Albright, and their son, James W., is the one who wrote the history of Greensboro; Sophia married Daniel Albright, of Orange County (now Alamance); Daniel married Millie Holt; Henry married Letty Foust; Lewis married Elizabeth Albright; Elias married first Tempe Hobbs, and second Mary Woodburn. We have no record of William and Joel.
Jacob Albright, the oldest son of Daniel, is the one most closely associated with Buffalo. The children of Jacob and Sarah were Elizabeth C., Rebecca J., Sarah P., Daniel E., George W., Julia A. and William M. Daniel Albright, Sr., died in 1831.
Henry Humphreys came from Maryland and located first at Jamestown, and in 1817 he came to Greensboro. He was a successful business man, and in 1833 put in operation a steam cotton mill, the first in the south. He married first Mary Baldwin, of Caswell County, and second Mrs. Letitia Harper Lindsay. His children by the first marriage were Annie and Louisa, and by the second marriage Absolom T., Sarah and Henry P. Annie married Thomas R. Tate; Absolom T. married Susan, daughter of Judge John M. Dick, in 1842; Sarah married Capt. W. H. Walton, of Carthage, Tenn., in 1849; Louisa and Henry P. died unmarried. Henry Humphreys died in 1840.
Rev. William D. Paisley, son of Col. John and Marianna Denny Paisley, located in the village of Greensboro in 1820, and taught a school. He also bought a farm between Greensboro and the church. There was no church in Greensboro and his family united with Buffalo. Three of his daughters are buried in the cemetery here. He married Frances, daughter of General Alexander Mebane, and their children were Polly M., Mary Ann, Julianna, Harriet J. and Sarah J. Polly M. married Rev. Jesse Rankin, son of John Chambers Rankin, in 1825; Julianna married Congressman John A. Gilmer, son of Robert [end of page 56] S., in 1832; Sarah J. married Robert M. Sloan, son of John, of Lexington, Va., in 1836; Mary Anne and Harriet J. died young. Mr. Paisley’s family moved their membership to Greensboro when their father organized the First Presbyterian Church there in 1824. Mr. Paisley often preached at Buffalo. It was his mother’s church.
James Baker married Katherine, daughter of William Patterson, of the Rock Creek section, in 1821, and located on North Buffalo. His name appears as one of those who paid pew rent in 1830. They had several children. This family moved to Tennessee in 1840.
Bryant Piercy bought of William Donnell 246 acres east of the church – the Sikes place – in 1821, and located here. He married Lydia, daughter of George and Lydia Forbis Donnell, in 1821, and their children were Milton, Parthenia, Pleasant, John M., Eunice and Jane. This family moved to Ray County, Mo., in 1841.
John Carroll located in Greensboro in 1821. He married Margaret, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Donnell Donnell, in 1822 and united with Buffalo Church. There were no children. John Carroll died in 1839.
William T. Shields camea from Augusta County, Va., in 1822, and bought 200 acres from the heirs of Robert Doak on North Buffalo and became a member of Buffalo Church. His wife was Jane, and their children were Robert M., A. W., James and Martha M. He was a brother of Mrs. Martha Moderwell, wife of Robert.
Nathaniel Kerr, Jr., son of ruling elder Nathaniel, Sr., of Alamance Church, married Hannah, daughter of Samuel and Margaret McMurray Mitchell, in 1822, and located here. He built the old brick dwelling across the road from the church. Their children were Malinda, Louisa, Elizabeth J. and Samuel M. Malinda died in 1842 at the age of twenty years; Louisa married Adam M. Rankin, son of Robert and Margaret Scott Rankin, in 1842; Elizabeth J. married Samuel D. Wharton, son of Elisha, in 1846; Samuel M. married Elizabeth C., daughter of Samuel E. and Jane Mitchell Shelton, in 1850. Nathaniel Kerr, Jr., died in 1830. [end of page 57]
James McIver came from Ireland in 1824 and located here. He married Mrs. Polly Finley Cunningham, widow of John, Jr., and daughter of James Finley, in 1828. He lived four miles north of the church for a while, then moved to Greensboro. Their only child, William, died in 1831. James McIver died in 1857.
David G. Forbis, son of Hugh and Elizabeth Gorrell Forbis, of Alamance Church section, married Asenith, daughter of David and Sarah Donnell Woodburn, in 1826, and located on South Buffalo and united with Buffalo. Their children were Sarah S., David Washington, Elizabeth and Hugh Rufus. Sarah S. married Alfred Lewey, in Illinois, in 1851 and died in 1855; David Washington married first Nancy Hannah, daughter of William and Anna Hatrick Donnell in 1872, and second Julia, daughter of Moses and Caroline Hanner Rankin, in 1883; Elizabeth married Preston W. Weaver; Hugh Rufus was killed in battle in the Civil War.
David Wharton, son of Elisha a ruling elder in Bethel Church, bought of William Rankin Wilson a farm between Greensboro and North Buffalo in 1826 and located there. In 1831 he sold this farm to his brother Watson and bought of Allan Denny a farm on the north side of the creek (the Textile Dairy place) and located there. He married first Elizabeth, daughter of Major John and Elizabeth Denny Donnell, in 1826, and second Rachel D., daughter of William and Anna Hatrick Donnell, in 1881. His children were by the first marriage and were Elizabeth, Julia P., Mary Ellen, John E., and William D. Elizabeth married Dr. Joseph A. McLean, son of Marshall, Sr., in 1850; Julia P. married Rev. Cyrus K. Caldwell in 1849; Mary Ellen married John C. Cannon, son of Ibson and Martha Rankin Cannon, in 1855; Captain John E. married Pattie J. Cole in 1866; Willia D. married first Mary Eliza, daughter of Col. Newton and Eleanor McMurray Wharton, in 1865, and second Jennie S., daughter of James R. and Nancy Smith Gilmer, in 1876. David Wharton died in 1902 in the 99th year of his age.
James and Robert M. Sloan, Sr., sons of John and Mary Shields Sloan, of Augusta County, Va., located in Greensboro in 1827 and united with Buffalo. They later moved their membership to the First Church, Greensboro. They were nephews [end of page 58] of William T. Shields and Mrs. Robert Moderwell. James married Sarah Johnson, of Orange County, in 1833, and their children were Daniel G., Robert M., George J., Thomas J., James A., and Mary Elizabeth. Daniel G. died young. Robert M. Sloan, Sr., married Sarah, daughter of Rev. William D. Paisley, in 1836, and their children were William P., John A., Fannie, Sarah, Roberta, Robert, Jennie, Julia P., Ida and Martha M. William P. and Robert died young.
Reuben Dick, son of James, of the Rock Creek section, bought of Simeon and Abraham Geren 654 acres on North Buffalo in 1827 and located here and united with Buffalo Church. He married Lucretia, daughter of John and Patsy Galbreath, in 1821. In 1836 he sold this farm to James Wharton, grandfather of Edward P., and moved to Tennessee some time later. We have the names of only two of his children: Julia and Isabella. Julia married William F. Jean in 1841, and Isabella married Dr. John A. Moring, son of Christopher, in 1847.
William H. Cumming, son of William, of Hillsboro, bought a farm near the church in 1829, and located here. A little later he bought the George Nicks place, where J. Al. Rankin lived, and located there. He married Lavinia Rose in 1828, and their children were Eliza G., James D., William A., Henry A., Preston, Mary, Lavinia, and Beverly Rose. Eliza G. married James G. Morrison in 1865; James D. married Kate, daughter of William S. Rankin, in 1856; William A. married Mary A., daughter of William S. Rankin, in 1859; Mary Lavinia and Beverly Rose died young. This family moved to Greensboro.
William Permar bought the Robert Rankin place, one mile west of the church, in 1829, and located there. He married Sarah Black in 1810, and their children were Elizabeth, Allen, Rebecca, Eliza, Pleasant, Martha and Jane I. Elizabeth married Phillip Thomas in 1850; Eliza married George D. Coleman in 1854; Pleasant married Polly Andrews; Martha married Joshua Ricks; Jane I. married Joseph Carter.
Marcellus Jordan came from Louisburg, N.C., and located two miles north of the church in 1829. He was a brother of Green D. Jordan, a ruling elder in the First Church, Greensboro. He married Maria Wright, of Caswell County, and their children were William, Mary T., Elizabeth, Marcellus, Jr., [end of page 59] Martha A., Cornelia and Benjamin F. William married Emma Jane Washburn and died leaving one child, Alice, who married Hawkins Rudd; Mary T. married Jack Tatum; Elizabeth never married; Marcellus, Jr., married Mary M., daughter of Samuel Thomas; Martha A. married John L. Hendrix, son of Edward, in 1856; Cornelia married A. I. Coltrane; Benjamin F. married first Elizabeth Dickey in 1867, and second Tempie Osborne.
Joseph Kirkpatrick came from Orange County in 1829. In 1831 he married Docie, daughter of Samuel and Margaret McMurray Mitchell, and located near the church. Their children were Julia W., Hannah E., David N., Margaret J., and Samuel A. Julia W. married Daniel E. Albright, son of Jacob and Sarah, in 1855; David N. married Susan Bain, of Orange County; Margaret J. married John G. Efland, son of John, and moved to Tennessee; Hannah E. and Samuel A. died young. Joseph Kirkpatrick died in 1859.
John Perdew married Mary, daughter of Adam Mitchell, in 1830, and located here. We know but little of this family. In 1839 Mrs. Perdew resigned as sexton of the church, giving as her reason for resigning that they were moving away.
Samuel H. Denny, son of William and Jane Gray Denny, located on the north side of South Buffalo in 1832 and became a member of Buffalo Church. He married Sarah G., daughter of Robert and Rachel Denny Hatrick, in 1830. Their children were Margaret J., Elizabeth A., Joseph and Alexander Calvin. Alexander Calvin married Cornelia, daughter of Alfred and Jane Brown Gray, in 1867, and moved their membership to Bethel Church. The other children never married. Samuel H. Denny died in 1888.
William Vanstory, son of John, Jr., and grandson of Dr. John, bought of John McClintock a farm near Brown Summit in 1833 and united with Buffalo. He married Nancy, daughter of James M. Hughes, and their children were Jennie, Lelia, Julia, Dora and Lizzie. Jennie married Daniel W. Corl; the other girls moved to Newton.
Levi Houston (1771-1862) united with Buffalo by certificate from Alamance Church in 1833. He was the son of John Houston, a Scotchman, who was living on South Buffalo in [end of page 60] 1783. Levi lived two miles south of Greensboro. He married Anna Boyd in 1805, perhaps a daughter of James Boyd, who was living on North Buffalo at that date. Their children were Nathaniel B., William M., John B., Joseph A., Margaret M., Polly B. and David B. Nathaniel B., a physician, married Lucinda Ryan in 1853; John B. married Mrs. Harriet Barnes, nee Puryear, in 1840; Col. Joseph A. married first Catherine A., daughter of John and Agnes Gorrell Stewart, in 1835, and second Margaret Fox in 1869; William M., Margaret M., Polly B. and David B. never married.
G. C. Townsend moved to Greensboro from Cabarrus County in 1834, and united with Buffalo. He had married Catherine L. Caruthers, a sister of Dr. Eli W. Their children were Cornelia, Eli C. and Laurence (Tobe). Cornelia married George M. Adams in 1853; Eli C. married Mary Short; Laurence moved from Greensboro.
John H. Clapp married Elizabeth Anne, daughter of John McMurray, of the Rock Creek section, in 1832. In 1835 he bought of George Denny a farm just east of the David Wharton home place and located there. Their children were Cora, William, Charles, Madison, Daniel, Mary Jane, Kate Emma, and Frank. In 1841 he sold this farm to John F. Donnell and moved to Greensboro.
Andrew Weatherly, son of James, and grandson of Jesse, who settled on South Buffalo in 1779, located in Greensboro in 1832. He married Margaret, daughter of Robert and Nancy Hanner Gillespie, in 1833, and their children were Mary Eliza, Nancy L., Robert D., William John, Andrew, Margaret, Celia and Alice. Mary Eliza married Levi Scott, son of John D., in 1861; Nancy L. married Walter P. Caldwell in 1857; Robert D. never married; William John married Lucy Roseboro; Andrew married Lizzie Payne; Margaret married William Rufus Murray in 1867; Celia married Samuel Jordan; Alice married Mr. Davidson. This family was dismissed to the First Church, Greensboro, in 1848.
Lorenzo D. Orrell bought of Samuel Mitchell his half interest in the old mill on Church Street extension, in 1837, and located there as the miller. He married Eliza, daughter of James and Margaret Lester Spence, and their children were Daniel W., [end of page 61] William C., Emma E., Robert M., Aseph, James, Mary Eliza and Jeff. Daniel W. married Leanna, daughter of Albert and Polly McMurray Rankin, in 1867; William C. married Margaret E., daughter of James M. Hughes, in 1868; Emma C. mararied Jesse T. Abbott, son of William, of Virginia, in 1869; Robert M. married Roxanna, daughter of Caleb and Anne White, in 1870; Mary Eliza married McKinzie J. Bodenhamer, of Winston, in 1868. L. D. Orrell died in 1870.
John Carson Rankin, son of Joseph and Mary Donnell Rankin, of the Alamance Church section, located on the south side of North Buffalo in 1837. In 1847 he bought the Bryant Piercy farm (the Sikes place) and located there. He married Betsy A., daughter of Thomas and Hannah Rankin Denny, in 1837, and their children were Mary Ladosca, Cornelia and William T. Mary Ladosca and Cornelia died rather young; William Thomas married Mary, daughter of James and Hannah Burnsides, in 1871. This family moved to High Point.
Pleasant McAdoo, son of David and Elizabeth Nicks McAdoo, of the Alamance Church section, married Euphrasia, daughter of John M. and Eliza Ryan Gilchrist, in 1842, and located two miles north of the church. Their children were John L., Granville Ryan, Ella Dora, Albert, Adolphus S. and Brantley P. Ella Dora married William E. Bevil, son of Archie; Albert married Nannie, daughter of Alfred and Sarah Mimms Summers; Adolphus S. married Emma V., daughter of Archie and Jane Rankin Bevil, in 1873; John L., G. Ryan and Brantley P. died unmarried. Pleasant McAdoo died in 1886.
Moses M. Rankin, son of Thomas and Patsy McQuiston Rankin, of Alamance Church section, bought the George Nicks place, one mile north of the church, and located here in 1844. He married Sarah Caroline, daughter of John and Sarah McAdoo Hanner, in 1843. Their children were S. Corinna, Martha E., Josephine R., Tabitha, Julia, Nelson Eugene, A. Mack and J. Al. Tabitha died young; Corinna and Martha E. never married; Josephine R. married Dr. William M. Albright, son of Jacob, in 1867; Julia married David Washington Forbis, son of David and Asenith Woodburn Forbis, in 1883; Nelson Eugene married Allie, daughter of John W. and Nancy Donnell Kirkman, in 1886; A. Mack married first Annie, daughter of General W. T. [end of page 62] Prince, of Cheraw, S. C., and second Mrs. Maggie Murphy Prince, of Baltimore, Md.; J. Al. married Leila, daughter of Thomas B. and Martha Wilson Donnell, in 1890. Moses M. Rankin died in 1879.
Martin Bruce Weatherly, son of Martin and grandson of Edward Weatherly, who settled on Reedy Fork in 1778, married Elizabeth, daughter of Col. William and Jane Ryan Denny, in 1844, and their children were William H., Julius M., Robert O., David M., Lelia, Claudia and Betty. William H. married Nancy, daughter of D. D. and Caroline Woodburn Gillespie, in 1870; Prof. Julius M. married Laura, daughter of John J. and Lydia Hill Armfield, in 1882; Robert O. married first Bettie Redout in 1873, and second Flora Stanley; David M. married first Safronia Atwater, and second Mary C. Bagwell; Claudia married Thomas Archer; Bettie married W. R. Butler in 1880; Lelia died young.
Thomas S. Sandridge, of Albemarle County, Va., bought of James McKnight 234 acres on the headwaters of North Buffalo in 1844 and located here. His first wife was Louisa, and he married Laura M. Ferrell, of Rockingham County, in 1848. There were no children. He died in 1872.
John Efland, of the Kimesville section, located south of North Buffalo in 1844. His wife was Elizabeth, and their children were Sampson, John G., Rebecca, and perhaps others. Sampson married Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob and Sarah Albright-Albright, in 1843, and he died in 1847, leaving one child, Madison L., who married Miss Sarah Bain, of Orange County, and Madison L. located there. The village of Efland is named for this family; John G. married Margaret J., daughter of Joseph and Docie Mitchell Kirkpatrick, in 1857, and in 1873 he moved to Winchester, Tenn., his mother and sister going with him.
John Rhodes lived near Summerfield. He married first Sarah Witty in 1830, and second Parmelia, daughter of George and Lydia Forbis Donnell, in 1845. His children were by the first marriage: Paulina, Elizabeth, Pascal, Gozeal, Mary Anne, Cammie and John T. John Rhodes, Sr., was a member of the congregation and paid on the pastor’s salary. [end of page 63]
George W. Climer, son of Noah, married Nancy E., daughter of Erwin Donnell, in 1846, and became identified with Buffalo. Their children were Joseph, Margaret V., Mary E. J. and Noah E. Joseph married Mrs. Emma Cobb Buchanan, daughter of Hiram Cobb; Mary E. J. married Henry A. Wilson, son of Andrew, Jr.; Margaret V. and Noah E. died young. George W. Climer died in 1853.
Alfred Summers, son of Jacob, of Alamance County, located on Reedy Fork in 1847. He may not have been a member of Buffalo, but he was a member of the congregation and both of his wives are buried here. He married first Amanda C. Rice, of Caswell County, in 1854, and second Sarah E. Mims, also of Caswell County, in 1858. There was one child by the first marriage, Rufus A. A., and by the second marriage, Thomas, Nannie, Jacob, Jane and Alfred. Rufus A. A. was a member of Buffalo, and later moved to California; Thomas moved to Florida; Nannie married Albert McAdoo, son of Pleasant and Euphrasia Gilchrist McAdoo; Jacob married Annie L., daughter of Robert W. and Rebecca J. Foushee Anderson, of Orange County; Alfred married Ethel, daughter of William Henry and Jennie Brown Rankin.
Noble G. Cryer bought a farm from the executor of Col. James Denny’s estate, on the Moore road, in 1847, and located there. He married Margaret, a sister of Alfred Summers, Sr. They had no children, but reared Sidney N. Smith, who located at Guilford College.
Franklin L. Gorrell, son of Robert and Rebecca Doak Gorrell, married Caroline C., daughter of Robert and Nancy Hanner Gillespie, in 1848, and united with Buffalo. Their children were Robert and Franklin L., Jr. Robert married Flavia Ingold; Franklin L., Jr., married Carrie L., daughter of John H. and Mary Thom Thacker.
Phillip Thomas, whose father came from Virginia, married Rebecca, daughter of William Permar, in 1850, and located west of the church. Their child was Cyrus N., who married first Lou Ozment, and second Elizabeth Wheeler.
John W. Kirkman, of Pleasant Garden community, married Rebecca, daughter of Samuel G. Hamilton, in 1855, and located [end of page 64] on North Buffalo. Rebecca died in 1856, and in 1858 Mr. Kirkman married Mrs. Nancy E. Donnell Climer, widow of George W., and daughter of Erwin Donnell, and their children were Charles W. and Allie H. Charles W. married Georgia, daughter of Thomas Rankin and Hannah Hardin Greeson; and Allie H. married Nelson Eugene Rankin, son of Moses M. and Caroline Hanner Rankin.
Albert Rankin, son of Thomas and Patsy McQuiston Rankin, of the Alamance Church section, bought a farm of 328 acres northwest of the church in 1856, and located there. This farm was where Hamtown is now located. He married Polly, daughter of John and Mary Baker McMurray, in 1837, and their children were Martha J., John H., Leanna E., Isabell A., Mary C., James T., William C., Robert W., Loula E. and Albert C. Martha J. married Council Tucker in 1860; John H. married Mrs. Caroline Buchanan Donnell, daughter of Thomas Buchanan, in 1866; Leanna E. married Daniel W. Orrell, son of Lorenzo D., in 1867; Isabell A. married Mebane Lamb in 1872; Mary C. married John E. McKnight, son of William and Elizabeth Albright McKnight, in 1869; William C. married Julia, daughter of John C. and Mary Wharton Cannon, in 1881; Loula E. married William A. Clapp, son of Asa, in 1879; Albert C. married first Ella C., and second Emma J., daughters of John C. and Mary Wharton Cannon. James T. and Robert W. died young.
Robert Wharton, son of Elam and Elizabeth Rankin Wharton, former owners of the Doggett Mill, bought a farm four miles north of the church and loated there in 1856. He married Malinda, daughter of John and Margaret Rankin Nelson, in 1833, and their children were James M., Margaret E., William Plummer and Mary Jane. James M. married Margaret, daughter of Solomon Armfield, in 1864, and located at Jamestown; Margaret E. married Adam Walker Scott, son of Donnell and Elizabeth Walker Scott; William Plummer married Anne Eliza Lewis; Mary Jane married James H. Motley in 1877.
John C. Cannon, son of Ibson and Martha Rankin Cannon, of Cabarrus County, married Mary Ellen, daughter of David and Elizabeth Donnell Wharton, in 1855, and in 1857 they located on North Buffalo, four miles east of the church. Their [end of page 65] children were Julia M., Bessie W., Ella C., Mollie H., Howard L., Frances R., Emma J., and John D. Julia married William C. Rankin, son of Albert, in 1881; Bessie W. married John W. Paisley, son of James and Minerva Wharton Paisley, in 1887; Ella C. married Albert C. Rankin, son of Albert, in 1889; Mollie H. married W. Julian Hendrix, son of John L., in 1883; Howard L. married Jennie, daughter of Rev. Richard Webb, in 1901; Frances R. married H. Cicero Rudd in 1891; Emma J. married Albert C. Rankin in 1896; John D. died unmarried.
William P. Moore, son of Samuel, of Rockingham County, married Ladosca A., daughter of Thomas Barr and Mary Thom Scott, in 1858, and located here. Their children were Wilson S., Artelia J., Walter Magruder, James P., William S., Wallace E., Dora, Watson and Belle. Wilson S. moved to Missouri and married Julia Shaver; Walter Magruder married Georgia, daughter of Harrison and Kate Coble Fields, in 1900; William S. married Myrtle, daughter of Charles A. and Maggie Denny McNeely, in 1914; Artelia J., James P., Wallace E., Dora and Watson died unmarried.
This page of information is strictly for private use and not for republication.