THIS SECTION IS CONTINUED FROM THE PREVIOUS PAGE:
The following excerpts are quoted from History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Her People, Greensboro, N. C., by Rev. S. M. Rankin; published by Jos. J. Stone & Co., Greensboro, NC, (publication date not specified, but apparently during the early 1930’s), pages 66 – 92.
Readers are encouraged to verify information contained in this chapter with their own research. There are errors, as source documents from two centuries ago have been misinterpreted. Rev. Rankin assumed that anyone living near the church must have been a member, and attributes some people to the membership who were in fact Quakers. “War” in these notes refers to the Revolutionary War. Unfortunately, Rev. Rankin did not cite his sources, or footnote his statements.
OTHER MEMBERS OF THE CONGREGATION
(CONTINUED FROM SECOND WEB PAGE)
George W. Rich, son of Thomas H., married Mrs. Delana Mitchell in 1860, widow of Joseph G., and daughter of Col. Nehemiah Whittington. His wife was a member of Buffalo and he united there also. They had one child, Alice, who married Eugene Hegwood, a brother of John A., and they had two children, Inez W. and Edna O. Inez W. married Charles Robbins and Edna O. married Earl Clarida.
Rev. James C. Alexander (1831-1886) located here as pastor in 1861. His wife was Elizabeth Anne Blake, of Greenwood, S. C., and their children were Hattie, Adger G., Charles B., J. William, and Rosa A. Hattie married Captain Claude Morrison, of Charlotte; Adger G. married Berta, daughter of John D. and Susan Bencini Donnell; Charles B. married Carrie Clary, of Greenwood, S. C., and lives at Shelby; J. William married Fannie Plowden, of Greenwood, S. C., and lived at his father’s homeplace; Rosa A. married J. A. Murray, son of A. H. Murray.
Danniel D. Gillespie, son of Robert and Nancy Hanner Gillespie, married Catherine A., daughter of Allen and Polly Mebane Woodburn, in 1847. In 1861 they moved their membership from Alamance Church to Buffalo. Their children were [end of page 66] Nannie C., Carrie, Ella, Johnsie, E. Eugene, and several others who died young. Nannie C. married William Weatherly, son of Bruce and Jane Denny Weatherly, in 1870; Carrie married George B. Yates in 1883; Ella married John L. Thacker; Johnsie married Prof. Lee Blair; Rev. E. Eugene married Mattie Lee, daughter of John M. McIver, of Gulf. In 1887 this family was dismissed to Westminster Church, Greensboro.
Roddy E. Hanner, son of John and Sarah McAdoo Hanner, of Alamance Church section, located one mile northeast of Buffalo – the Russell King place – in 1862 and united with Buffalo. He had married Nancy, daughter of Samuel and Mary Scott Rankin, in 1841. They had no children, but reared J. Will Scott, his wife’s nephew.
John L. Hendrix, son of Edward and Mary Gamble Hendrix, of the Pleasant Garden section, married Martha, daughter of Marcellus Jordan, in 1856, and located one and a half miles north of the church in 1862. Their children were W. Julian, Edward M., James M., and Charles A. W. Julian married Mollie H., daughter of John C. and Mary Wharton Cannon, in 1883; Edward M. married Lelia, daughter of George A. and Asenith Wiley Denny, in 1885; James M. married Mary Anne, daugher of James and Minerva Wharton Paisley, in 1884; Charles A. married Katie Lambeth. Mr. and Mrs. Hendrix were dismissed to the First Church, Greensboro, in 1904.
Robert C. Young, son of Col. Matthew, of the Alamance Church section, married Caroline I., daughter of John and Anne Gillespie Hanner, in 1864, and became identified with Buffalo. Their children were John A., Annie and Sarah A. John A. married Emma Hines, of Mount Airy, and became identified with Holt’s Chapel Methodist Church; Annie married Rev. H. Frank Starr, of the Methodist Episcopal Church; Sarah A. died young.
Col. John A. Mebane was received into membership from St. Mark’s Reformed Church in 1865. He married Mary J., daughter of William and Polly Cunningham Pritchett, in 1863. In 1878 he was dismissed to Fair Grove Methodist Protestant Church. [end of page 67]
James B. Minor, son of James and Minerva Aydelotte Minor, married Mary P., daughter of James M. and Celia Donnell-Donnell, in 1867, and became associated with Buffalo. His grandparents and great-grandparents on his mother’s side were Buffalo members.
Leven Denny Aydelotte, son of Leven and Nancy, who lived several miles north of Buffalo, married Jennie Frances, daughter of Harper and Anne Hanner Donnell, in 1867, and located four miles east of the church, and united with Buffalo on certificate from Fair Grove Methodist Protestant Church. Their children were Lacy, Oscar, Lizzie D., Walter A., Charles D., Annie F., and Mabel F. Lizzie D. married Carlton V. Paisley, son of James Robert and Susan Hanner Paisley, in 1895; Walter A. married Nannie E., daughter of William H. and Bettie Wilson Donnell; Annie F. married Beaty Donnell, son of William H. and Bettie Wilson Donnell; Mabel F. married Edgar Morris, of Thomasville; Lacy, Oscar and Charles D. died young. Harrison Fields, son of Roddy and Cynthia Harden Fields, of Pleasant Garden section, located one mile north of the church in 1868. He married Sarah Catherine, daughter of Paul and Lavinia Rankin Coble, in 1866, and their children were Georgia, J. Henry, Charles H., William P., Mary Ida, Arthur A., Minnie L., Rosa C. and Lizzie E. Georgia married W. Magruder Moore, son of William P. and Ladosca Scott Moore, in 1900; J. Henry married Emma Bailey in 1926; Charles H. married Nina, daughter of Daniel E. and Jennie Purvis Albright, in 1896; William P. married Ethel Whitlock in 1905; Mary Ida married Phillip L. Rouzie, son of Dr. Archie and Kittie Lewis Rowzie, of Virginia, in 1898; Rosa C. married William L. Wharton, son of John W. and Sallie McNairy Wharton, in 1905; Lizzie E. married Carl L. Wharton, son of John W. and Sallie McNairy Wharton, in 1911.
John Doggett, of the Bethel Church section, bought the Maynard place near Brown Summit in 1868 and located there, and became associated with Buffalo Church. He married Mary Anne, daughter of Valentine Cobb, and their children were Jennie R., William T., Mattie, Thomas, Frank W., James F., and Emma I. Jennie R. died unmarried; William T. became a Presbyterian minister and married Ella Bow, of Indiana; Mattie married Major Andrew Summers in 1872; Thomas married Leola Massey; [end of page 68] Frank W. married Molly H. Rudd in 1881; James F. married Nannie Belle, daughter of George Dalton; Emma I. married James Peay in 1880. John Doggett died in 1895.
James C. Abbott, son of William, of Virginia, married Julia C., daughter of Joseph G. and Delana Whittington Mitchell, in 1869, and located here. Their children were Mary J., George W., Carrie Belle, Delana and Myrtle. Mary J. married William Hobbs; George W. married Zula Parish; Carrie Belle married William Sullivan; Delana married Ernest Garrett; Myrtle married first Andrew Hupp, second Mr. Swift, and third G. A. Nickolas.
Jesse T. Abbott, a brother of James C., married Emma E., daughter of Lorenzo D. and Eliza Spence Orrell, in 1869, and located here. Their children were Minnie L., Rosa E., Jesse Leslie, Charles R. and William L. Later this family moved to Greensboro and united with the First Church. John A. Hegwood married Martha E., daughter of Joseph and Delana Whittington Mitchell, in 1873, and became identified with Buffalo. Their only child, Loula V., died unmarried. Mr. and Mrs. Hegwood left a bequest to the church cemetery.
Luther C. Winchester lived eight miles northwest of the church. He united with Buffalo by certificate from the Moravian Church at Winston-Salem in 1876, and his wife, Mary, came from Bethlehem Presbyterian Church in Orange County. Their children were Mary Lou, Carrie Janet and Robert W. Mary Lou married W. E. Benbow; Carrie J. married James McNairy, son of James D. Webb; Robert W. married Cora Barbee.
John Webb Wharton, son of John and Rhoda Webb Wharton, of the Bethel Church section, married Maria Edwards, of Chatham County, in 1876, and located at the Rodd E. Hanner place. Their children were Ruth, E. Roy, Linda J. and Rhoda W. This family moved to Greensboro in 1886.
John Wellington Wharton, son of Thomas Green and Malvina Donnell Wharton, of the Brick Church section, located on Hunting Creek in 1877. He married first Annie C., daughter of Robert S. and Isabella McMurray Stewart, in 1877, and second Sarah, daughter of J. D. Webb and Julia Moore McNairy, in [end of page 69] 1880. The children were by the second marriage, and were William L., Carl L., Lena, Vara, Shirley, Kathleen, Julia and Richard E. William L. married Rosa C., daughter of Harrison and Kate Coble Fields, in 1905; Carl L. married Lizzie E., daughter of Harrison and Kate Coble Fields, in 1911; Lena married Earl Mendenhall; Julia married Charles H. Doggett in 1925; Richard E. married Hilda D. Davidson in 1929.
Alfred T. Whitsett, of Graham, married Ulalia C., daughter of James M. and Celia Donnell-Donnell, in 1878, and became identified with Buffalo. Their children were James M., Mary, Onnie and Margaret. Several other children died young. This family moved their membership to Midway when that church was organized in 1888.
George K. Briggs, of Person County, located on the Edmond Donnell place in 1881, and became identified with Buffalo. He married first Minerva Ann, daughter of Thomas Buchanan, in 1865, and second Mollie Coleman, of Person County, and third Sallie Coleman, a sister of his second wife. His children by the second marriage were Minnie B., Patrick H., Jennie and Charles. This family moved their membership to Midway when that church was organized.
Monroe A. Russell married Callie V., daughter of Adam Walker and Margaret Wharton Scott, and united with Buffalo in 1881. Their children were Jessie N., Calvin, Lizzie A., Edgar, Delbert, Nannie G., Gertrude V., Glen G., Robert M. and Donnell. This family later moved to Haw River, N. C.
William Newton Sikes, son of Willis, came from Bethel Church section in 1883, and bought the John Carson Rankin place. He married Cornelia, daughter of William A. and Margaret Wiley Paisley, in 1872, and their children were William Marion, Lacy W., Luther E., Alma, Cornelia J. and George A. Rev. William Marion became a Presbyterian minister and married May Lipscomb, of Virginia, in 1905; Luther E. married Elizabeth McCollum, of Rockingham County, in 1907; Cornelia married Charles L. Dallas, of Rockingham County, in 1909; George A. married Ora Cobb, and lives near Gibsonville; Lacy W. died young.
Emsley W. Stratford, son of Henry, of the Bethel Church section, bought a farm and located on the Battle Ground road [end of page 70] in 1883, and united with Buffalo. He married Lydia P., daughter of Thomas and Eveline Brower Dick, and their children were Chauncey L., Fred W., Mary E., T. Blair, Maury and Annie B.
T. A. Smith came from Stony Creek Church in Alamance County, in 1887, and located two miles north of the church and united with Buffalo. His wife was Amanda. He died in 1897, leaving no heirs.
Rev. R. W. Culbertson became pastor in 1887. He married Anna Johnston, of Woodleaf, N. C. When he resigned the pastorate here in 1892 they had three small children, Mary, Ruth and Lucy.
Rufus Webb Wilson, son of Robert A. and Nellie Huffman Wilson, of Bethel Church, married Cora B., daughter of Andrew M. and Amanda Denny Gamble, in 1887, and located on Hunting Creek in 1888 and united with Buffalo. Their children were Maxwell M., Nellie, Shirley P., Mary A., Cora Ruth and W. Banks. This family moved to Greensboro, and in 1923 united with the First Church.
J. Lewis Hawkins, son of John and Margaret Jane Malone Hawkins, of Caswell County, located at the Robert R. Prather place in 1888. He had married Mary F., daughter of Robert W. and Rebecca Foushee Anderson, in 1886, and their children are Annie, John W., Eva Margaret, Mamie, Sarah, Robert A., Janie, James and Grace G. Annie married J. R. Jones; John W. married Tommie Boone, Mamie married Nestor G. Walker; Sarah married Ernest D. Hobbs, son of Lewis, of Alamance Church section; Robert A. married Margaret, daughter of E. C. Turner, of Hawfields Church, in 1923; Janie married E. Frank Parkins; Grace G. married John J. Fenton; James is not married; Eva Margaret died in 1910.
David P. May united with Buffalo by certificate from Alamance Church in 1887. He married Mary Curtis, and their children were Joseph, Ida E., Carrie Ethel, Olive Maude, Clay D. and Currie. This family was later dismissed to Lee’s Chapel.
Samuel S. Heath and his brother John came from the eastern part of the county and bought the George A. Denny place in 1890. He married Jane Murray in 1883, and their children [end of page 71] were Mary and Rankin. Mary married W. Vance Way, son of John A., in 1922; Rankin married Ruth Carter. John Heath never married.
James A. May, who lived near Lee’s Chapel, united with Buffalo in 1891. He married Annie D. Johnston, of Reidsville, and their children were Mary Alice, James C. and Annie Rachel. In 1924 this family was dismissed to the Presbyterian Church, Burkeville, Va. Miss Alice May, a sister of James A., also united with Buffalo, and died in 1914, bequeathing $100 to the church.
H. Cicero Rudd, son of Hezekiah, of Monticello, married Fannie R., daughter of John C. and Mary Wharton Cannon, in 1891, and became identified with Buffalo. They lived near Lee’s Chapel. Their children were Ernest R., Ruth, Roy, Mary Frances, Annie W. and Julia. This family moved to Pleasant Garden and when the Presbyterian Church was organized there in 1917 they were dismissed to that church.
Rev. J. McL. Seabrook located here as pastor in 1892. He married Rachel Thornley, of South Carolina, and their children were Ernest P., Alma, John Thornley, Mary, Josiah McL., Jr., Arthur R. and Rachel. When he resigned the pastorate in 1904 this family was dismissed to Gordonsville, Va.
Joseph Herman Kellam united with Buffalo on profession of faith in 1896; he was the son of Julian and Sarah Cook Kellam, but was reared by Mr. and Mrs. Samuel S. Heath, his parents having died when he was ten years old. He married Maggie, daughter of William and Fannie Norman Souther, and their children are Annie Lee, Nosco H., Irene, Julius, Ruth, who died young, and Mildred. Annie Lee married Russell Thornton.
Murphey W. Noah located in our midst in 1893. He had married Barbara Sharpe, and their children were Alfred W., Cora L., Henry S., Marion W. and Zim. Cora L. married Edward N. Brown.
Lindsay M. Stewart, son of Col. David C. Stewart, of Alamance Church section, married first Rebecca, daughter of Samuel D. and Elizabeth Kerr Wharton, and second Martha, daughter of Daniel and Easter Gannon Thom. The children were by the first marriage – Ernest W., Lizzie M., and Florence R. This [end of page 72] family moved to our midst in 1897 and united with Buffalo. After the death of Mr. Stewart in 1901 the family moved their membership to the First Church, Greensboro.
Charles A. McNeely, son of Thomas and Janet Busick McNeely, married Maggie L., daughter of Samuel and Martha White Denny, in 1889, and united with Buffalo in 1903. Their children are Myrtle, Kate, John, who died young, and Jessie. Myrtle married William S. Moore, son of William P. and Ladosca Scott Moore; Jessie married Milton C. Foust, son of Robert B.
Edward Rankin, son of H. Edward, of Alamance Church section, was adopted by Mr. and Mrs. McNeely when his mother died. Edward Rankin McNeely married Annie Ola, daughter of H. C. Simpson, in 1931.
John C. Gallahan came here from South Carolina about 1903 and became associated with Buffalo. He married Cornelia, daughter of Joseph G. and Delana Whittington Mitchell. There were no heirs. Mrs. Gallahan left a bequest to Buffalo.
James R. A. Wilson, son of Robert A. and Nellie Huffman Wilson, of Bethel Church section, married Martha E., daughter of John E. and Mary Rankin McKnight, in 1903 and united with Buffalo. Their children are James Robert A., Jr., Elizabeth A., and Martha K., who died young.
Henry L. Clapp, son of Peter, of the Mount Pleasant Methodist Church section, married Ada, daughter of Robert A. Wilson, of Bethel Church section, and located in our midst in 1904. Their children were Lester C., Robert Lee, Minnie, Asa Carl, May and Peter. Lester C. married Maud Stone and lives in Greenville, S.C.; Robert Lee married May Ward; Minnie married first Robert Bain, and second Edward Townes; Asa Carl married Tommie Lee, daughter of John W. and Mary Booths James, of Oconee County, S.C.; Mary married Robert McPherson. Mr. Clapp was a Methodist and never united with Buffalo, but his wife and children did.
Rev. J. W. Goodman became pastor of Buffalo in 1905. He married Nettie Matton, of High Point. Their child is named Grace. Mr. Goodman accepted a call to Hawfields Church in 1911, and the family was transferred to that church. [end of page 73]
E. Henry Flagge was received on certificate from the Batchtown Circuit of the Methodist Church of Southern Illinois in 1906. His wife was Katherine, and their children were Dr. Philip W. and Walter S. In 1911 this family was dismissed to Brooks Alta, Canada.
Dr. William P. Knight, son of Pinkney and Tabitha Williams Knight, of Rockingham County, married Nellie M., daughter of W. Julian and Mollie Cannon Hendrix, in 1906, and became identified with Buffalo. Their children are William C., Mildred, Helen, Holt, Margaret and Mary Ellen.
Thomas E. Morphis, son of Stephen, of Rockingham County, located in our midst and united with Buffalo by certificate from the Presbyterian Church at Reidsville in 1906. He had married Frances, daughter of Henry Haizlip, and their children were John, Lula, Sarah, Thomas W., Gertrude, Della, Charles, Robert C., J. Oscar and Geneva. John died young; Lula married James F. Talley; Sarah married Eulis Combs; Thomas W. married Jessie Coker; Gertrude married Arthur J. Blackwood; Della married Rita H. Armfield; Charles married Myrtle Suratt; Robert C. married Nannie Wallace; J. Oscar married Jennie Swain; Geneva married Robert C. Brown.
Mrs. Sarah Anderson Doggett, the second wife of Wesley O. Doggett, , united with Buffalo by certificate from Eno Presbyterian Church in 1906. She is the daughter of Robert W. and Rebecca Foushee Anderson, of Orange County. Their children are Felix and James A. Felix married Alene Loy in 1933. James A. married Mary E. Norton in 1933. Mrs. Doggett’s stepdaughter, Anna, also joined Buffalo. Anna married Luman W. Doggett, son of James F., and moved to Washington, D. C. W. O. Doggett is the son of James W., and his first wife was Talula Chandler.
Joseph S. Phipps, son of Robert S. and Marianna Gilmer Phipps of the Alamance Church, married Mamie, daughter of John E. and Mary C. Rankin McKnight, in 1907, and located in our midst and united with Buffalo.
James Lockamy, son of Wilson and Jimmie Dees Lockamy, of Cumberland County, married Bessie, daughter of J. E. and Ruth Emma Joyce Mills, of Stokes County, in 1917, and their [end of page 74] children are Blanche Marie, John D. and Bernice Lee. Mr. Lockamy located in our midst in 1907 and later joined Buffalo.
William Robert Minor, son of William M. and Mary Reynolds Minor, united with Buffalo in 1907. He married Donie, daughter of Robert Daniel and Margaret Murray Wright, and their children are Eugenia Jeanetta, William Robert, Jr., and Daniel H.
Benjamin A. Simpson, son of Thomas D. and Serena Mullis Simpson, of Union County, N.C., located in our midst in 1905, and he united with Buffalo Church on profession in 1908 and his wife by certificate from the Methodist Episcopal Church. He married Toy D., daughter of David L. and Cynthia Jennings Owen, of Pittsylvania County, Va., in 1892, and their children are Claude A., Eugene W., H. Albert, Faye B., Charles V., Ransom C., Irma L., Ernest F., Ruth E. and Frances L. Claude A. married Winnie W. Rowe; Eugene W. married Roxie Crowder; H. Albert married Ruby Thornlow; Faye B. married Charles R. Youngblood; Charles B. married Virginia Myrick; Ransom C. (1906-1908); Irma L. married Harry L. Whittington.
Mr. and Mrs. T. N. Sellers united with Buffalo in 1909 by certificates, Mr. Sellers from the Reformed Church and Mrs. Sellers from the Baptist Church. In 1917 they returned to Culpeper, Va., and were dismissed to the Presbyterian Church there.
Mrs. Mattie Ritchie Lucas, widow of Willam M. Lucas, of Rowan County, N.C., moved to our midst in 1909 and united with Buffalo. Their children are Audry, Kate, Clara, Gilbert and William. Audry married George H. Kirkman; Kate married J. A. Coble; Clara married G. A. Flintum; Gilbert married Sadie Honeycut and William married Mary Herbin.
J. Iva Medearis, son of Francis M. and Emma Hoskins Medearis, of Summerfield, married Hattie E., daughter of Willam D. and Jennie Gilmer Wharton, in 1909, and later united with Buffalo by certificate from the Methodist Episcopal Church. Their children are Francis Wharton, who died young, and John William.
A. Russell King, son of Harper, married Annie J., daughter of Dr. William M. and Josephine Rankin Albright, in 1910, and united with Buffalo. Their children are Bertha Lee, Rankin A., [end of page 75] Frank R. and Ruth K. Bertha Lee married Dallas B. Frazier in 1934.
Rev. George W. Oldham located here as pastor in 1912. He married Miss John Kirkpatrick, of Mecklenburg County. In 1913 they moved to Yanceyville.
Rev. E. Frank Lee located here as pastor in 1913. He married Elsie Barbee, of Durham, and their only child is Elsie. In 1923 they were dismissed to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
William Chappell, son of Edward, of Bedford, England, came to this community in 1913 from Wisconsin and united with Buffalo. He had married Carrie R., daughter of William Slack, also of England, and their children are Faith, Edward, Daisy, George and Doris. Faith married Mr. Watson, of Montana; George married Nellie, daughter of Robert Gilchrist; Doris married Charles Gilchrist, son of Robert.
J. Gurney Coble, son of W. R., of Alamance County, married Mattie Coble, also of Alamance County, and located in our midst and united with Buffalo in 1913. Their children are Viola, William C., J. Gurney, Jr., Thomas K., Mary Lillian and James. Mrs. Coble died in 1922 and Mr. Coble in 1927.
Henry A. Barnes and his wife united with Buffalo by certificates from the Methodist Protestant Church in 1915. He is the son of James A. and Ida Lane Barnes, of Nash County, and he married Euphemia, daughter of John H. and Susan Hughes Dail, and their children are Murriel, Carlotta and James Norvard. Murriel married Charles C. Erwin, of Forest City, N.C., in 1929; James N. married Lillian Allen in 1933.
John Earl Oakes, of Burlington, N.C., married Vera, daughter of James B. and Margaret Wrenn Apple, in 1916, and became a member of the congregation; his wife was already a member of Buffalo. Their children are Shirley and Kenneth Kay.
Dr. Arthur O. Spoon married Nannie Caffey, of High Point, in 1915 and she united with Buffalo by certificate from the Presbyterian Church at High Point. They have one son, Arthur O., Jr.
Patrick H. Cunningham, son of Andrew and Elizabeth Whittington Cunningham, married Mrs. Alice Owen Mitchell, widow [end of page 76] of Joseph, and daughter of Albert and Martha Owen, of Halifax, Va., in 1897. He united with Buffalo on profession of faith in 1915, and his wife by certificate from Bessemer Avenue Presbyterian Church. They had no children, but reared Everet Cunningham and Evelyn Hupp, daughter of Andrew and Myrtle Abbott Hupp.
W. B. Thacker, of Caswell County, located here in 1915, in charge of the Textile Dairy. He married Lillian Charles, of High Point, and their children are William C. and Mary Louise. Mr. Thacker was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, but Mrs. Thacker and the children are members of Buffalo.
Edward P. Hancock, son of Calvin and Cynthia Lssiter Hancock, married Margaret Vaughn, and they united with Buffalo in 1915. Their children are Austin and Margaret. Austin married Ione Michael in 1923 and Margaret married David Settle.
Leighton W. McFarland, son of John A. and Catherine McArthur McFarland, of Cumberland County, united with Buffalo by certificate from the Church of the Covenant, Fayetteville Presbytery, in 1916. He married Myrtle, daughter of John Henry and Alice Leonard Clemmons, in 1908, and their children are Lois V., Catherine E., and Leighton W., Jr.
Mrs. Mary W. Rankin, daughter of William D. and Mary E. Wharton-Wharton, united with Buffalo by certificate in 1916. She had united with Buffalo in 1883, and was dismissed to Red Springs, N.C., Presbyterian Church in 1894 when she married Rev. S. M. Rankin, son of Robert C. and Mary McLean Rankin.
Jason H. Ham, son of William and Jane Davis Ham, of Jamestown, married Mary, daughter of Addison and Cornelia Allred, of Jamestown, in 1902, and their children are Mamie J., John W., Mittie A., and Woodrow W. Mamie J. married Robert Bachelor, and Mittie A. married Hampton Cook. Mr. Ham united with Buffalo on profession of faith in 1916, and Mrs. Ham by certificate from the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Rita H. Armfield, son of Needham and Frances Ward Armfield, of Jamestown, united with Buffalo on profession of faith in 1916. He married Della, daughter of Thomas E. and Frances Haizlip Morphis, and their children are Frances, Elizabeth, [end of page 77] Louise, Elsie Lee and Frederick S. This family later joined the Baptist Church.
J. Leonard Perdew, son of J. M. and Myrtle Hall Perdew, of Rockingham County, married Annie, daughter of W. W. and Mollie Robinson Newell, in 1917, and became identified with Buffalo. Their children are Louise, J. Leonard, Jr., Katherine, Myrtle and William.
Mrs. Pearl Tyson, widow of John W., united with Buffalo by certificate from the Methodist Church in 1917. She is the daughter of H. L. P. and Celestia Rankin Watson; married John W. Tyson in 1901, and their children are Paul H., Helen C., Ruth F., Sadie V., and Johnnie W. Helen C. married Harold C. Mills; Ruth F. married James L. Jones; Sadie V. married Don C. Cox. Some of these are still members and others have gone to other churches.
W. Vance Trollinger, son of Daniel M. and Annie Bell Robinson Trollinger, of China Grove, N.C., united with Buffalo by certificate from the Third Presbyterian Church, of Greenville, S.C., in 1918. He married first Ada L. Wrenn, and their children were Ivey, Norma, Ada Bell, Nannie, North, Thelma M., and Vance. His second marriage was to Mrs. Lula Laughlin Winecoff. His stepson, Fred W. Winecoff, also united with Buffalo.
William H. Wrenn, son of David and Nannie Foster Wrenn, of Alamance County, became affiliated with Buffalo in 1918. He married Mamie, daughter of W. H. and Eliza Stewart Sikes, and their children are Howard H., Carl, Clarence, Clyde, James, Ethel, Mildred and Ellen. Howard H. married Cornlia Weaver; Carl married first Lennie Hester, and second Romey Amick; Clarence married Beulah Squires. [CC’s note: Mary Ellis has informed me that Mamie was a nickname for Mary Elizabeth Sykes, that Ellen’s name was actually Helen, and that Howard H.’s first wife was Connie Lee Weaver.]
Jarvis Hart, son of German and Mary Keck Hart, of Chatham County, married Ola, daughter of A. E. and Ida Ward Miller, in 1904, and united with Buffalo in 1918. Their child, Irene, married D. J. Drake.
Luther J. Blackwood, son of Sydney and Catherine Laycock Blackwood, of Orange County, married first Daisy G. Allison, and second Clara, daughter of Jesse and Sarah Williams Waynick, in 1911. The children by the second marriage [end of page 78] were Erwin S., Aldrow, Roger, George and James. Mr. Blackwood and wife united with Buffalo in 1919.
R. D. Tucker came from China Grove in 1919 and united with Buffalo. He married Bessie Smith, also of China Grove, and their child is Fred W.
Milton C. Foust, son of Robert B. and Alice Starr Foust, of the Mount Hope Church section, married Jessie, daughter of Charles A. and Maggie Denny McNeely, in 1919, and united with Buffalo by certificate from Mount Hope Reformed Church. Their children are Charles Robert and Milton McNeely.
John H. Coble, son of Eli and Betty Wilson Coble, of Randolph County, married Cornice, daughter of J. W. and Margaret Oakley McAdams, in 1931. He became identified with Buffalo in 1919. Their children are Maynard, Margurete and Meredith.
Vance H. Hart, son of German and Mary Keck Hart, of Chatham County, married Martha, daughter of Henry and Ellie Willett Morris, in 1910, and united with Buffalo in 1919. Their children are Lessie, Virginia, Magdalene and Vance H., Jr.
Neil A. McFarland, son of Neil A., of Cumberland County, and nephew of Leighton W., united with Buffalo by certificate from the Church of the Covenant, Fayetteville Presbytery, in 1920. He married Joy Rebecca, daughter of Daniel and May Hudson Steele, in 1920, and their child is Neil A., Jr.
Neil A. McFarland’s brother, John Watson, and a sister, Agnes, also united with Buffalo.
Thomas Howard Ward, son of T. Oscar and Minnie Spivey Ward, united with Buffalo in 1921. He married Lillian, daughter of Samuel and Daisy Holder Ziglar, in 1928, and their children are Thomas and Robert.
J. Lawson Dick, son of John C. and Susan Hanner Dick, married Mary E., daughter of W. Julian and Mollie Cannon Hendrix, in 1921, and united with Buffalo by certificate from Bethel Presbyterian Church. In 1929 they were dismissed to the Burlington Presbyterian Church.
Mr. and Mrs. George H. Booth united with Buffalo by certificate from the Reformed Church, Somerville, N.J., in 1921. They were both born in Glossop, England. Mr. Booth is the son [end of page 79] of Jamesa and Martha Austin Booth, and Mrs. Booth is the daughter of Edwin and Hannah Harrop Brooke, and their children are Lydia H., who married Dr. William E. Garlick, and Arthur J., who married Elizabeth Fogg. In 1933 they moved to Wappinger’s Falls, N.Y.
William A. and Fannie Norman Souther located in our midst and their children are Maggie, O. B. and Hobart. They did not unite with Buffalo, but their children did. Maggie married J. Herman Kellam; O. B. married Nellie, daughter of Robert L. and Lillie Starr Schoolfield, in 1923.
Mrs. Nancy Dunn Pugh united with Buffalo in 1922. She is the daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Ward Dunn, and married E. W. Pugh in 1892. He was the son of Frank and Louiza Curtis Pugh, and their children are Swannie L. and Herbert L.
Miss Mary J. Wilson united with Buffalo by certificate from Midway Presbyterian Church in 1922. She is the daughter of Henry A. and Mary E. Climer Wilson, and her brothers and sisters are Nannie B., Etha L., Henry L., Ione, Allie, Charles, and Herman C.
Miss Bettie Watt Jones united with Buffalo in 1922. She is the daughter of R. O. and Sarah Morgan Jones, and her brother and sisters are Samuel W., Mrs. Frank W. Smith and Mrs. H. G. Ligons. This family came from Reidsville.
George D. Wyrick, son of Edward O. and Margaret Loman Wyrick, married Alice S., daughter of Oliver and Sarah Danielly Foster, in 1920, and their child is Jean Faye.
Andrew Jackson Swink, son of Thomas Robert and Rebecca Parker Swink, of Salisbury, married Viola, daughter of Enoch and Elizabeth Owen Spivey, of Randolph County, in 1915, and later located in our midst and he and family united with Buffalo in 1924. Their children are Leo and Ishmael.
Rev. A. P. Dickson became pastor in 1924. He is the son of Dr. A. P. and Frances DeVane Dickson, of Raeford. He married Maude Bragg, of Richmond, Va. Their children are Albert P., Jr., and Maude Bragg.
Dr. Lacy D. Wharton (1869-1931), of Smithfield, son of William D. and Mary E. Wharton-Wharton, moved his membership back to the dear old church in 1925, and is buried here. [end of page 80] He married first Lizzie, daughter of William P. and Jane Rankin Wharton, in 1895, and second Lily Benton in 1902, and his children are, by first marriage, William L., and by second marriage D. Benton, L. Donnell, James Gilmer and Charles Watson.
Martin M. Manger, son of George, of Brooklyn, N.Y., came to our midst as secretary of the Y.M.C.A. at White Oak, and united with Buffalo by certificate from the Presbyterian Church at Schenectady, N.Y. He had married Sarah Denell, of Norfolk, Va., and their children are Martin M., Jr., and George Joseph.
Robert L. Schoolfield and family united with Buffalo by certificate from Hines’ Chapel Christian Church in 1926. He was the son of Daniel G. and Elizabeth Wooters Schoolfield; he married Lilly, daughter of Daniel and Sarah Low Starr, in 1888, and their children are Sarah E., Charles A., Shirley M., Edward L., Nell A., Tyre S., Percy G., Nettie A., Paul Al. and Ruth. Sarah E. married Charles L. Donnell, son of William H. and Elizabeth Wilson Donnell, in 1919; Charles A. married Edith, daughter of Walter A. and Nannie Donnell Aydelotte, in 1916; Shirley M. married Mary Forsythe in 1921; Edward L. married Lola Pike in 1920; Nell A. married O. B. Souther, son of William and Fannie Norman Souther, in 1923; Tyre S. married Pearl Terrell in 1922; Percy G. married Eva Matkins in 1925; Ruth married H. W. Campbell in 1932; Paul A. (1909-1928). Nettie is a trained nurse.
J. W. Terrell, son of W. A. and Martha Woods Terrell, of Rockingham County, married Mary S., daughter of J. B. and Sarah Phipps, and their children are Pearl Lee, John P., and William B. Pearl Lee married Tyre S. Schoolfield in 1922; John P. married Mozelle Cole in 1930; and William B. married Hattie Ware. This family became identified with Buffalo in 1926.
Morris W. Fulp, son of J. R. and Minerva Haggerty Fulp, of Clinton County, Ohio, located in our midst and united with Buffalo in 1926. He married Emma Frances Ladd, and their children are Curtis E., Morris E., Orvill W. and Willis K.
Z. R. Younts, son of Peter and Mary Younts, of Lexington, N.C., married Lizzie, daughter of F. R. and Hattie Kirkman [end of page 81] Moize, in 1903. Their children are Bernard and Hennan. Bernard united with Buffalo in 1926.
Turner S. Gregory, son of William H. and Jincie Jarvis Gregory, of Iredell County, married Lillie, daughter of Elbert D. and Amanda Harris Wooten, in 1919, and united with Buffalo in 1926. They have one child, David L.
Walter Marshall, son of John and Mary Whitelow Marshall, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and came to this community from Magog, Quebec, Canada, in 1926. He married Mary, daughter of Aaron and Annie Hambleton Williamson, of Mottram, England, and their children are Frederick W. and John W.
Harry F. Bynum, son of T. M. and Mattie Foust Bynum, of Goldston, N.C., married Ortrude, daughter of James F. and Nannie Dalton Doggett, in 1926, and united with Buffalo by certificate. Their children are Harry F., Jr., and Merlin Robert.
Walter Thornton, son of M. L. Thornton, of South Carolina, located in our midst and united with Buffalo in 1926. He married Ola May Barber, daughter of J. W., in 1917, and their children are Garland, Ethel, Virginia and Wallace.
Miss Annie May Martindale, daughter of John Lee and Nancy M. Allred Martindale, united with Buffalo in 1926.
Miss Edwina Hilton, daughter of Charles M. and Alta L. Wysong Hilton, united with Buffalo in 1926. She married J. L. Bryant, son of S. F. and Nora John Bryant, in 1930, and their child is Margaret McLean.
George R. McNeely, son of Rufus F. and Susan Bitting McNeely, married Cora, daughter of John Henry and Emma Gentry Neal, and their children are George R., Jr., Frances, Marie, Emma Sue, Mildred and Neil B., who died young.
P. H. Norman, son of J. R. of Wilkes County, married Janet McNeely, daughter of R. F., and their children are P. H., Jr., Suzanne and Elizabeth J.
Miss Phoebe Richards, daughter of Norman F. and Phoebe Gibbes Richards, of Liberty, S.C., came here in 1928.
Mrs. Sarah J. Bangle, daughter of Thomas J. and Sarah E. Allred-Allred, united with Buffalo in 1929. She had married Thomas S. Bangle in 1900, son of William H. and Janie Jenkins Bangle, and their children are Nellie, William G., who died [end of page 82] young, Margaret A., Mary E. and Frances Jane. Nellie married Roy G., son of John E. and Mary Rankin McKnight; Margaret A. married Charles Bird, son of Thomas and Helen Bird.
Charlie G. Wyrick, son of John H. and Louise J. Christopher Wyrick, of Rockingham County, united with Buffalo in 1931. He married Jessie Lee, daughter of Eli and Sarah Hagin Jenkins, and their children are William C. (1913-1930) and Edna May.
Mrs. Hazel Wyrick, the sister of Charlie G., united with Buffalo in 1926.
Carnie Lee and Lacy D. Wyrick, sons of Walter E. and Ada Wrenn Wyrick, and nephews of Charlie G., became identified with Buffalo. Carnie Lee married Prestine Blakeney in 1931.
Mrs. Lena Woodell, widow of John W. Woodell, and daughter of John H. and Rosa Melton Yow, united with Buffalo in 1931. Their children are Ruby E. and Katherine May. Ruby E. married Carl W. Reynolds.
Miss Mary E. Blake, daughter of James G. and Eveline Powers Blake, of Pender County, located in our midst in 1930 and united with Buffalo.
Alonzo E. Howerton and his wife united with Buffalo by certificate from Hines’ Chapel in 1931. He is the son of Elijah A. and Alice Wyrick Howerton, and he married Donnie Frances, daughter of James W. and Ida Wall Barker, of Randolph County, and their children are Swanna Margarie and Juanita H.
Frank Pearman, son of W. A. and Polly Tally Pearman, of Rockingham County, married Clara May, daughter of J. H. and Delia Myers Gregory, in 1920, and united with Buffalo in 1931. Their children are Lucile, Roy William, Delia L., J. C. and Stella M.
Lizzie Pearman, a sister of Frank, became a member in 1931. She married Martin Gant, and their children are Archie, Carl, Clarence and Raymond.
A. G. Ligon, son of David C. and Emma Riggins Ligon, of Wilmington, N.C., married Nettie, daughter of Roddy A. and Rebecca Hanner, in 1917, and united with Buffalo in 1931. Their children are Margaret L. and Mabel. [end of page 83]
Moses K. Rankin, son of Nelson Eugene and Allie Kirkman Rankin, united with Buffalo by certificate from Bessemer Presbyterian Church in 1932. He married Effie V., daughter of James A. Clifton, in 1925, and their children are James Richard and David Eugene. David Eugene was baptized by Rev. Edward P. Rankin, of California, while here on a visit in 1930.
Alan J. Morrison, son of Alan and Katherine Cameron Morrison, of Fayetteville, united with Buffalo in 1932. He married first Margaret White, and their children are Beatrice, Burl, Margaret, Walter and George; he married second Carrie May Nunnery, and their children are Maynard, Rothel, Frank, Wakelon, Effie May, Virginia, Alan J. and Mary Katherine.
Mrs. Lena Maye Archer, widow of Wright R. Archer, united with Buffalo in 1932. Her husband was the son of Henry O. and Isabel Wright Archer, and she was a daughter of Farral A. and Annie Robinson Culbreth, and her child is Wright R., Jr.
Mrs. Etta Pickard, daughter of John W. and Mary Coley Bouswell, and widow of Thomas J. Pickard, united with Buffalo by certificate from Alamance Church in 1933. Mr. Pickard’s adopted grandson, J. Frank Pickard, also joined Buffalo.
Charles E. Kerchner, son of George W. and Catherine Beuner Kerchner, of Mifflintown, Pa., married Margaret, daughter of George W. and Mary Calhoun Boyer, in 1917, united with Buffalo by certificate from the Lutheran Church, Centre, Pa., in 1933. Their children are Eleanor and Carrol Lois.
Hoyt Lee Cartledge, son of Ebb and Susan Stone Cartledge, of Edgefield, S.C., located in our midst and united with Buffalo. He married Cletus, daughter of Richard and Fannie Kenney Woods, in 1915, and their children are Hammond Lee, Binford M., Thad, Maxine Vanoy, Ishmel Dale and Jerrail Dane.
Rev. Wade C. Smith, son of Edward R. and Susan Cothran Smith, of Rome, Ga., married Zadie, daughter of Judge James W. and Sarah Pratt Lapsley, of Alabama, and their children are Rev. Cothran G., Lapsley, Zadie and Elizabeth. Mr. Smith is a general evangelist and his membership is in the Presbytery. His wife and daughters united with Buffalo in 1933.
We have tried to give here the name of the head of the family; who his parents were; whom he married; the names of the [end of page 84] parents of the one whom he married; the names of their children, and whom they married. This is the foundation of the genealogy in many of these families. This record is not as complete in some of the families as we had wished. In some few cases only one member of the family was an actual member of the church. Of course many of these have moved away, but they were all Buffalo folks.
More than 175 other names, separate and apart from the families given, appear on the church roll from the time of the first record in 1833 to 1934. The family names thus appearing are:
Allen, Ammons, Amos, Andrews, Arie, Batchelor, Beason, Benson, Bobbitt, Brawley, Brown, Byrd, Cain, Capps, Carrico, Carter, Chandler, Clark, Clayton, Coltrane, Cook, Craddock, Crarey, Cross, Crowder, Curry, Dixon, Dobson, Fritchett, Gallimore, Gates, Gibson, Girton, Gray, Griffin, Ham, Harris, Hayes, Hobbs, Holdbrook, Johnson, Jones, King, Lawson, Leonard, Ledbetter, Livengood, Long, Luck, McAdams, McCollum, McDaniel, McInnis, Martin, Mills, Millsaps, Moore, Morris, Myers, Nance, Newell, Norden, Oakley, Pedigo, Pegram, Poole, Porter, Redmond, Reed, Rickets, Rickmon, Scott, Seymore, Shepperd, Smith, Stacy, Stewart, Stone, Straughn, Strong, Summers, Sutton, Taylor, Thompson, Tippett, Varner, Vaughn, Wade, Weaver, Westbrook, White, Willard, Williams, Williamson, Wilson, Woodward, Zimmerman
We have failed, after repeated efforts, to secure any information about the families of these. We regret exceedingly that we are compelled to omit their family data. [end of page 85]
There were many other families who lived in the bounds of Buffalo in the early years, and these must have been members of the congregation, and no doubt some of them were members of Buffalo Church. It is a pity we do not have the roll of the early members. Remember that there was no other church within a territory of some eighteen miles square until near the year 1800. [County coordinator’s note: apparently he did not know that Quakers would travel miles to their meeting houses.] We are giving here an alphabtical list of these families, and the dates and location of their farms, as gathered from the books in the office of the Register of Deeds. This list is not complete. Many of these families have moved away, most of them going to Tennessee after the Revolutionary War, and we have not been able to trace them or to give the names of their children. [CC note: this information is included for the benefit of others tracing families, but do confirm this information with your own research.]
John Adams was living near the church in 1817.
John Alcorn was born in Ireland in 1767, came here in 1789 and located on North Buffalo. He later moved to Rockingham County where he died in 1851. John Baker was living on Reedy Fork in 1785. He may have been the father of Mary, who married John McMurray, and of James Baker, who married Catherine Patterson in 1821.
Henry Billingsley married Elizabeth, daughter of ruling elder William Gowdy, in 1785. He lived on Mears Fork.
Charles Bland was living on North Buffalo in 1795.
James Boyd was living on North Buffalo in 1807.
John Boyd was living on Reedy Fork in 1759.
Bennet Bradford was living on the north side of South Buffalo in 1781.
James Brittain lived on Horsepen Creek in 1760.
William Brown was living on North Buffalo in 1757.
James Carter located on Horsepen Creek in 1753. [end of page 86]
John Caruthers was living in Greensboro in 1837. He was the executor of the will of Dr. Eli W. Caruthers, and must have been a near kinsman.
Leven Caulk was living on Mears Fork before 1800. He must have been the father of Benitha, who married Evans Wharton in 1808.
Samuel Coban, of York County, Pa., located on Reedy Fork in 1773. In 1784 he returned to Pennsylvania.
Robert Coker was living on North Buffalo in 1771.
William Covey was living a short distance north of the church in 1785.
Thomas Craft was living on North Buffalo in 1800.
Robert Craig was living three miles north of the church during the Revolutionary War.
Jeremiah Deans was living on North Buffalo in 1840, and contributed to the support of the church.
John Dickey was living three miles northeast of the church in 1790.
Andrew Dilling lived just west of the church in 1827.
Daniel Dillon located on the Reedy Fork in 1759.
Nathan Dillon was living just west of the church in 1780.
Samuel Duff was living on the north side of South Buffalo in 1780.
Moses Elliott was living on North Buffalo in 1796.
Joseph Fleming, of Rockingham County, located just west of the church in 1797. He married Sarah Covey in 1799.
Dr. Abner Forbis lived on the Reedy Fork. His obituary notice in the Patriot of 1835 says he and family were Presbyterians.
Dr. John A. Foulks was living on the Reedy Fork in 1830, and contributed to the support of the church.
Samuel Fulton lived four or five miles northeast of the church in 1787.
Thomas Gault was living on North Buffalo in 1780. [end of page 87]
Thomas Green was living on the Reedy Fork in 1775.
David Gorrell was living on South Buffalo, and paid on the salary of the pastor in 1847.
Moses Griffin was living between Buffalo and Reedy Fork in 1799.
John Hayes was living on the Reedy Fork in 1774.
Nathan Hill was living on the Reedy Fork in 1793. He must have been the ancestor of Wilson Shed Hill, who was postmaster in Greensboro in 1846.
William Hindman was living on North Buffalo in 1772.
Ezekiel Hobbs was living on Hunting Creek in 1799.
Solomon Holden was living on North Buffalo in 1845, and paid on the salary of the Buffalo pastor.
Edward Holland was living on Richland Creek in 1778.
Isaac Holt and his wife Mary, of Orange County, located on North Buffalo in 1814 and united with Buffalo.
J. B. Houston was living on South Buffalo in 1850, and paid on the salary of the Buffalo pastor.
Alfred Ingold located on the headwaters of North Buffalo in 1844.
James Johnston was living between Reedy Fork and Buffalo in 1771.
William Kennady was living between Buffalo and Reedy Fork in 1772.
Calvin King married Ruth, daughter of Major John Donnell, in 1831, and became identified with Buffalo.
John Kirkpatrick was living on North Buffalo in 1756.
Isham and John Lanier were living two or three miles northwest of the church in 1784. Sidney Lanier, the poet, is a descendant of John.
William H. Lane lived near the church and paid on salary in 1861.
John Larkin was living between Buffalo and Reedy Fork in 1779. He had been brought to this county by Robert Donnell, Sr. [end of page 88]
James Leeper was living on Reedy Fork in 1775. In 1784 he returned to Cumberland County, Pennsylvania.
General John M. Logan (1797-1853) was born in Ireland, and came to Greensboro in 1821. He married Mrs. Nancy Dick Patrick in 1825, widow of Andrew Patrick and daughter of Thomas Dick. His wife and several children are buried in Buffalo cemetery.
Thomas Dick, Sr., was associated with Buffalo, and several of his children are buried in the Buffalo cemetery.
Adam Loman was living on North Buffalo in 1850, and paid on the salary of the pastor.
William McElhattan was living between Buffalo and Reedy Fork before the Revolutionary War. His family moved to Tennessee in 1790.
Edward McGlamery was living north of the church in 1780.
Robert McIntire was living on the Reedy Fork in 1778. In 1809 John McIntire was ordained to the ministry by Orange Presbytery, and he may have been a son of Robert.
Thomas McRarey was living near Martinsville in 1785.
James Minor was living between North and South Buffalo in 1840, and paid on the salary of the pastor.
Thomas Monjoy was living two miles north of the church in 1795.
David Montgomery was living on Richland Creek in 1780. His family moved to Grayson County, Va., in 1819.
William Montgomery lived on Buffalo Creek nine miles east of the church, before the Revolutionary War, in which he was a soldier. His children intermarried with members of Buffalo, and they must have been members of the congregation.
Alexander Moody was living on Horsepen Creek in 1773.
John H. Moore was living on North Buffalo in 1808. His land adjoined the church land.
Smith Moore was living at Martinsville in 1785. He married Mary, a daughter of Capt. William Dent, Sr.
William Moreland was living on North Buffalo in 1775. [end of page 89]
James Morgan was living on North Buffalo in 1796.
Thomas Morgan was living a few miles northeast of the church in 1770. He was sheriff of the county in 1772. In 1794 he moved away.
Christopher Moring ran a tavern in Greensboro in 1833, and had a pew rented in Buffalo Church.
Jesse Needham was living on North Buffalo in 1775.
Joseph Newman was living on North Buffalo in 1788.
Richard Ozment was living on South Buffalo in 1786.
J. W. Parker was living on North Buffalo in 1833. His son is buried in Buffalo cemetery.
George Parks was living on North Buffalo in 1780.
John Patterson was living on North Buffalo in 1757.
Rees Porter lived on Buffalo eight miles east of the church in 1775, and was closely identified with the Buffalo people. He moved to Tennessee in 1787.
James Ramsey was living on North Buffalo in 1802.
William Reed kept a tavern at Martinsville in 1784. Opie P. Reade, journalist and novelist, formerly of Tennessee, but now of Chicago, says his father was born at the Guilford Battle Ground, so he must be a descendant of William. Henry Reed married Agnes Bell in 1766 and located on Hunting Creek. He may have been the father of William.
William Robertson located on Hunting Creek in 1758. He was in the Battle of the Regulators in 1771.
Will Rogers was living on Hunting Creek in 1784. It is possible that he may be the ancestor of Will Rogers, the humorist, now living in California.
Samuel Short was living on Hunting Creek in 1782.
Edward Simms was living on Reedy Fork in 1800. He married Isabella Cunningham.
Sanford M. Simpson located one mile north of the church in 1844, and his name is on the list of those who paid on the salary of the pastor. [end of page 90] Joseph T. Smith lived north of the church in 1860, and paid on the salary.
Thomas Steerman located three miles northeast of the church in 1796.
John Stewart, Jr., son of John of Benaja, located on the south side of Reedy Fork in 1787.
Robert Tate was living on North Buffalo in 1764. Robert Tate was ordained to the ministry by Orange Presbytery in 1799, and he may have been a son of this Robert, Sr.
James E. Thom was living in Greensboro in 1840, and paid on the salary of the Buffalo pastor.
James Tomlinson was living on Reedy Fork in 1790.
P. C. Tooley was living on North Buffalo in 1817.
Jonas Touchstone was living on North Buffalo in 1775. He died in 1815.
William Trousdale was living on the headwaters of North Buffalo in 1764.
Ansel Valient was living just west of the church in 1796.
Miles Wagstaff was living on North Buffalo in 1856 and paid on the salary of the pastor.
Adam Walker was living on South Buffalo in 1784.
David Walker was living near Martinsville in 1771.
Abraham Whitesides located on Reedy Fork in 1762. He married a daughter of Robert Thompson, and his daughter married James Cannon, the grandfather of Congressman Joseph G. Cannon.
Samuel Williams was living on North Buffalo in 1845, and paid on the pastor’s salary.
Col. Nehemiah Whittington, the son of Joseph, located near the Battle Ground in 1830. Some of his children were members of Buffalo Church.
Ezekiel Wiggins was living on North Buffalo in 1778.
James Whitt paid on the salary of the Buffalo pastor in 1847.
Joel Willis was living on Horsepen Creek in 1798. [end of page 91]
William Willis located on the south side of North Buffalo in 1787.
Francis Wright was living on Horsepen Creek in 1778.
Robert Wright was living near Martinsville in 1778.
It is not claimed that all these were members of Buffalo, but as Buffalo was their nearest church they must have attended the services there, and some of them were members. But few of these families remained in North Carolina. [end of page 92]
WITNESSES AT THE TRIALS
We are giving here a list of those whose names appear in connection with the many church trials. The only record we have before 1833 is the record of these trials, and that is not complete. The dates on these records run from 1773 to 1796, and the minutes for some of these years are lost. This list is given to show the extensive bounds of the congregation, and the large number connected with the church. Most of these are members of the church, and all must have been members of the congregation. Buffalo had large congregations in those early years. In 1779 it had a bench of seven ruling elders.
Allison, Alexander Burney, Mary Allison, John Burney, Robert Anderson, Robert Burney, William Barney, William Campbell, James Barr, James Campbell, Major John Bedford, James Chambers, John Bell, Mrs. Margaret Christopher, Mrs. Jane Bell, Capt. Robert Christopher, John Bell, Samuel Coots, James Billingsley, James Coots, Mrs. Mary Black, Thomas Craig, Elizabeth Blair, Jane Craig, Robert Blair, Thomas Culver, Thomas Brawley, John Cummins, Francis Brawley, Martha Cunningham, Hugh Brawley, Ruth Davis, Elizabeth Breeden, Charles Denny, George Breden, Mrs. Margaret Denny, James Brown, Thomas Dent, William, Sr. Brown, widow Dent, Mrs. William Burney, Charles Dent, William, Jr. Burney, Mrs. Catherine Dick, William Burney, Elizabeth Donaho, William Burney, Jane Donnell, Andrew Burney, John Donnell, George
[end of page 93]
Donnell, Major John McNairy, James Donnell, Robert McQuiston, John Donnell, Thomas McQuiston, Moses Donnell, William McQuiston, Walter Donnell, William, Jr. McRarey, Hugh Duck, Samuel McRarey, Thomas Duff, Samuel Mitchell, Adam Duff, William Mitchell, Elizabeth Erwin, Joseph Mitchell, Mary Erwin, Sarah Montgomery, Elizabeth Erwin, a widow Montgomery, Mrs. Hannah Forbis, Arthur Montgomery, Hannah Gillespie, Col. Daniel Montgomery, Mary Gillespie, Col. John Moreland, Catherine Gillespie, Mrs. Margaret Moreland, Elizabeth Good, Mary Morrow, Samuel Gowdy, William Nicks, Quinton Hamilton, John Orr, John Hamilton, William Parks, George Hindmon, Mrs. Rebecca Pennal, Ervan Hindmon, Thomas Porter, Reese Hindmon, William Rankin, John Holland, Edward Rankin, Rebecca Kennady, William Ross, Henry Larkin, John Ross, James Leckey, Martha Russell, William Lindsay, Thomas Scott, William Logan, Mary Starrett, James McClintock, John, Sr. Thompson, Samuel McClintock, John, Jr. Tosy, Alexander McDowell, Joseph Tosy, Martha McElhattan, Abraham Tosy, Sarah McElhattan, William Touchstone, Jonas McGlamery, Edward Walker, John McGurdy, Thomas Warnick, Eva McIntire, Robert Warnick, Robert McKnight, Mrs. Katherine White, Jane McMichael, Archibald Woodal, Elizabeth McMichael, Charity Wright, Robert McMurray, John Yancey, Phillip McNairy, Francis
[end of page 94 and the chapter on “Members of the Congregation”]
[These trial transcripts are on microfilm at the State Archives of North Carolina.]
This page of information is strictly for private use and not for republication.