- Bennett College
- Greensboro College
- Guilford College
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- North Carolina A & T State University
DAVID CALDWELL ACADEMY (LOG COLLEGE)
Male Academy, organized in 1816, was located on Sycamore Street between Ashe and Greene Streets.
Female Academy, established in 1819, was on West Gaston Street between Commerce Place and Eugene Street.
SHIELDS ACADEMY (LANCASTRIAN TYPE)
Opened in 1819.
GREENSBOROUGH FEMALE SCHOOL
GREENSBOROUGH FEMALE COLLEGE
Chartered in 1836. Relocated in 1845 to Hillsborough in Orange County.
Supplanted Greensborough Female Academy. Opened in 1840. Established by John M. Morehead, later a NC governor.
Closed during the Civil War, the school reopened in 1868 and continued until 1871, when it closed its doors.
NEW GARDEN BOARDING SCHOOL / GUILFORD COLLEGE
GREENSBOROUGH HIGH SCHOOL
Established in 1845, as a private classical academy occupying the Caldwell Institute building.
It continued until the late 1800′s, and was probably absorbed into the public high school.
Mrs. Dare’s Boarding and Day School (1840′s), an inexpensive school sometimes conducted in connection with the common school
Classical School (1848) under William C. Doub
Greensborough Male High School (1857), conducted by C. W. Holbrook
Greensboro Classical School (1857), with James D. Campbell as principal
Hoyle School (1859) with Eunice and Rhode Worth as teachers
It is to be assumed, then, that schools of the old field type existed in Greensboro. The Log College profession was interested in subscription schools… Subscription schools continued in Greensboro until the late 1880′s; and two which are well remembered by citizens of today were taught by Mrs. Ellen H. Hundley and Evelina Maria Porter, familiarly known as “Miss Lina.” Mrs. Hundley’s held in her home at the corner of Greene and Sycamore Streets, has been described as “the most finished — the most cultured and refined,” for Mrs. Hundley was a “gentlewoman.” “Miss Lina’s” one-room school alongside the Porter home at 426 West Market Street seems to have been the most impressive. Her firm discipline, her corner of switches, her unrelenting interest in thorough learning, and her powerful and dominant personality have placed her among Greensboro’s immortals. O. Henry, otherwise known as William Sydney Porter, received his entire scholastic training under his aunt, “Miss Lina.” Both of these schools were closed by 1900. There have been a few small private schools since then, but they have been largely overshadowed by public education. The modern Page Private School at 1005 West Market Street with Julian Johnston as proprietor is perhaps the largest in this group…. “
“Greensboro, North Carolina: The County Seat of Guilford,” by Ethel Stephens Arnett, UNC-Chapel Hill Press, 1955, p. 80.
“There are very few references to Negro education in the community before the Civil War. The first census taken of the village showed that there were altogether 102 Negro slaves. When the bill “to render it criminal to teach slaves to read and write” was in its second reading in the State Senate (December 7, 1830), Judge John M. Dick moved to amend t he bill by adding “that the provisions of this act shall not extend to the County of Guilford,” but his amendment did not carry. However, in spite of the law, Greensboro people are said to have taught in secret many Negroes to read and write.
Greensboro, North Carolina: The County Seat of Guilford, by Ethel Stephens Arnett, UNC-Chapel Hill Press, 1955, p. 81.
DICK & DILLARD LAW SCHOOL
Judge Robert Paine Dick & Judge John H. Dillard formed the school in Greensboro and trained nearly 300 lawyers between 1878 and 1893.
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT GREENSBORO
formerly known as:
State Normal & Industrial School, State Normal & Industrial College,
North Carolina College for Women, The Woman’s College of the University of North Carolina