The following biographical profile appeared in the September 2, 1899 issue of the Kinston Free Press.
A.R. MILLER – Dry Goods, Notions, Millinery, Etc.
Dr. Anderson R. MILLER was born May 8, 1830 about 12 miles south of Kinston, on Joshua’s Creek. He is a direct descendant of the first English and German settlers of Lenoir, then part of Craven county. He was educated in the local schools and in Cincinnati, where he spent two years, 1852-53, in study. In 1853 he matriculated in the Baltimore Dental College and graduated from that institution in 1854.
He was married September 19, 1867, to Miss Delia Maria HENRY, of Waterbury, Vt. The HENRY family were among the first settlers of Massachusetts and Virginia. Soon after his marriage Dr. MILLER moved west and settled in La Crosse, Wis., in a colony that was established in that then frontier town by Judge George GALE, an uncle of Mrs. MILLER. The climate proved too severe for them and they returned to North Carolina in 1858, with their baby girl, Sybil. In March, 1859, they located in Kinston, where the doctor has remained ever since.
Dr. MILLER served in the war as a commissary sergeant on duty in Kinston; joined the 66th regiment in 1866, was sent to Virginia, but was soon detailed in the hospitals as steward in Starr’s battery stationed here. This battery soon took part in the engagement at Wise’s Fork, which was the most deadly and hardest fought battle on North Carolina soil.
Mrs. MILLER was a northern woman, with two brothers in the Union army. The hospital work was a test of the tenderness and liberality of this good wife, who knew no north or south where acts of humanity were concerned, and with other Kinston women she went to the places where her services were most needed, helping the wounded and dying. Starr’s battery retreated to Bentonsville and took part in that battle, the last of the war.
Dr. MILLER returned to the practice of dentistry after the war. His wife, desiring to aid him financialy, bought a small stock in 1865 and sold it out quickly, using of the front rooms for store-room. Several additions were made to the hosue for store purposes from time to time, until finally in 1879 they bought lots and built on the west side of Queen street, between Caswell and King streets, a large brick two-story double store with dwelling upstairs and in the rear. Later two one-story brick stores were built for rent, adjoining their handsome store building on the south. Mrs. MILLER was a remarkable woman and built up a successful business. In 1884, March 9, she died. The children by the marriage were Sybil, now wife of Dr. H.O. HYATT, of Kinston; Maud, wife of Geo. S. LUCE, of Wisconsin; E. Lawrence, now a resident of Kansas, and William Roscoe, who died in 1898.
Dr. MILLER gave up his profession and devoted himself to the growing demands of his business in 1885. He carries a large stock of dry goods, shoes, notions and millinery. He employs an up-to-date milliner each season and his millinery and spring and fall openings are beautiful displays of hat, trimmings, and fancy dress goods.
On September 10, 1889, Dr. MILLER married Mrs. Eliza (Everet) MIDYETTE, who is now assisting him in the management of the store. They are Methodists. Dr. MILLER is one of the oldest Odd Fellows in Kinston. He has been honored by being made city alderman several times. He is progressive and is a man of good business qualification. His character and standing in the community is recognized by all.