While fixing up some things here on the site, I recently learned that the Martin County Regsistrar of Deeds has a new online system for locating old records. You can now access county land records back to 1866 on their website! Records available include: deeds, easements, agreements, deeds of trust, assignments, releases, plats and more. This list of land record terminology may be helpful as you navigate around.
The site has three methods for accessing the records
- Option 1: Full System – these files include both images and indexes. This combined retrieval covers January 1, 1985 to present.
- Option 2: Imaging System Only – these files include the images from
- Deed Books A-01 thru B-24 p. 714 (March 10, 2011)
- Old Deed Books U (08/26/1866) thru December 2, 1010
- Option 3: Scanned Index Images — these files are the scanned copies of their index. The records here cover Jan 1, 1925 through Dec 31, 1984.
Here is an example of the search interface for the Full System where you can enter various search criteria. ’
Looking at the old deed books are fun too! Here is a screen shot of Old Deed Book U — notice that by using the sidebar buttons you can go page by page. This looks to be a deed from Emily & William B. Tarkenton from September of 1870. Hope you can read this old handwriting better than I!
Thank you to the Register of Deeds office for making these available! Visit their website to search on your own.