“Cedar Grove is the finest ante-bellum mansion in the county. The impressive brick Greek Revival style house was built between 1831 and 1833 as a plantation home for James G. Torance. On the same site is the Torance House and Store, the original log home of James’s father, Hugh Torrance. It was build c. 1779 and later extended to include a four room frame addition. In ca. 1805 a store was built on to the east side of the original log house. This is now the oldest store building in the country. It is open to the public.” –Text from Charlotte and Mecklenburg County for the Visitor, within a suggested driving tour for the area that includes a stop at the Hugh Torrance House and Store.
Details, photographs, and a history of this property can be found here: Cedar Grove and Hugh Torrance House and Store, Historical Overview. (NOTE: As of 5/3/2012 this domain is pending renewal and the link no longer works.)