Rosedale was built in 1815 by Archibald Frew, a tax collector. Today, the Historic Rosedale Plantation offers tours, gardens, socials, and decorative art and architecture. The Historic Rosedale Plantation Mission Statement is found on the mission page of the website:
“Historic Rosedale Plantation is dedicated to preserving and promoting the heritage of the Southern Piedmont through the preservation, exhibition and interpretation of the architecture, decorative arts and lifestyle of the19th century Catawba River Valley region.”
The families of Rosedale include the Frews, Caldwells, and Davidsons. Detailed information about the history of these families is located on the history page of the Historic Rosedale Plantation website.
“Originally part of a 919 acre plantation, Rosedale was built in 1815 by Archibald Frew, who was a merchant, postmaster and tax collector. The house was occupied from the 1830s by D. T. Caldwell and his family. Dr. Caldwell, in addition to his medical practice, ran the plantation with the support of 2 slave families consisting of about 20 people. Rosedale is one of the finest examples of Federal period architecture in North Carolina and is noted for its faux grained woodwork and the original French wallpaper that survives in three rooms.The gardens and grounds of Rosedale are a treasure in their own right and are perfect for a leisurely walk.”
Above text from the Historic Rosedale Plantation About page.