“James W. Brothers, a soldier from the Army. He served 4 years. A brave Soldier’s life and was wounded the 2 June very serious in the left arm and returned home the 22 June and recovered and went back again to his Company 5 Sept. and returned home in March 26 and was married to Elizabeth Sawyer May 1865.”
- William Nelson Brothers, the son of James W. Brothers and Elizabeth his wife, was born the first day of October 1866, married Fanny Seal Hewitt
- Mary Jane Brothers, the daughter of James W. and Elizabeth Brothers, his wife, was born 3 March 1869 and died 16 July187 (1 or 6)
- Joel James Brothers, son of James W. Brothers and Elizabeth, his wife, was born 17 March 1870. Married first (?), married second Mary Ellen Williams
- Susan Elizabeth Brothers, daughter of James W. Brothers and Elizabeth, his wife, was born 14 July 1873. Married Ethelbert Granger.
- Frederick Right (Wright) Brothers, son of James W. Brothers and Elizabeth, his wife, was born 6 Nov. 1877. Married first, Maggie Burgess; married second, Maggie Williams
- Olly Frances was born 23 July 1880. Married Charlie Sawyer
- Tina Eveline, daughter of James W. Brothers and Elizabeth, his wife, was born 16 March 1883. Married M. Will White
- Estelle, daughter of James W. Brothers and Elizabeth, his wife, was born 22 Jan. 1886 and died 27 August 1887
- Wert Sewell, son of James W. Brothers and Elizabeth, his wife, was born 20 May 1890
- Joel Sawyer departed this life 28 Nov. 1881, age 42 years except 3 months and his wife departed this life 12 Nov. 1882
Redin Sawyer departed this life 17 Sept. 1883, age 36 and 6 mos. He was a true and faithful member of the church. He was Supt. of the Sunday School for 3 years before he died. I have no doubt he is at rest that rest that remains for all people in God. He left a wife and three children to mourn the loss of a kind father and husband. The Lord’s Will must be done and not – – – – He was chosen one out of the Church to join the Great Church – – – – – – Praises that never end. Oh that my end might be like his. – – – – – –
Source: North Carolina Bible Records – Compiled by Wilma Cartwright Spence and Edna Morrisette Shannonhouse (1973).