This information is contributed by Edith Cox
Henry Blake Jr served in 4th Calvary; married Hattie Easmon
Henry Blake (First_Last)
Regiment Name 4 North Carolina Cavalry. (59 State Troops.)
Soldier’s Rank_In Private
Soldier’s Rank_Out Private
Film Number M230 roll 3
59th Regiment, North Carolina State Troops
59th Regiment Volunteers — 4th Cavalry was formed during August, 1862, Garysburg, North Carolina. Its companies were from the counties of Anson, New Hanover, Caswell, Hertford, Cabarrus, Bertie, Currituck, Wilson, Cleveland, and Northampton. Two of these companies had been transferred from the 12th Battalion North Carolina Cavalry. The unit served under the command of General Robertson, L.S. Baker, James B. Gordon, J. Dearing, Roberts, and Barringer. It skirmished in the Goldsboro-Kinston area of North Carolina, then moved north and joined the Army of Northern Virginia. The 4th Cavalry took an active part in the conflicts at Culpeper Court House, Brandy Station, Upperville, Aldie, Fairfield, Hagerstown , Jack’s Shops, Wilson’s Farm, White Oak Road, and Five Forks. It had about 500 effectives at Gettysburg and surrendered 40 on April 9, 1865. The field officers were Colonels Dennis D. Ferebee and Virginius D. Groner, Lieutenant Colonels Rufus Barringer and Edward Cantwell, and Major James M. Mayo.
12th Battalion Partisan Rangers was organized in May, 1863, with three companies. Two were from Northampton and one from Bertie and Hertford counties. The unit skirmished in North Carolina, then moved to Virginia and on July 11, 1864, Companies A and B merged into the 59th North Carolina Regiment-4th Cavalry, and Company C transferred to the 16th North Carolina Cavalry Battalion. Lieutenant Colonel Samuel J. Wheeler was in command.