- Wm Arnold of Dorset Co England, was bapt June 24, 1587. He “sett sayle from Dartmouth, in Old England, the first of May, & arrived in New England, June 24, 1635.” Settled at Hingham, Mass, & became one of the original proprietors of Providence April 1636. He moved to Newport, R. I., 1651, & held many offices in that State. Married Christian Peak. Benedict Arnold was one of his descendants. (Ancestral Records, & Portraits.)
- John Arnold had a grt for land in Perq precinct, Jan 1, 1694, 150a on Little River, adj William Barclift.
- John Arnold of Conn, New Eng, made a deed in Norfolk Co Va, Aug 21, 1723, sold 300a “which was given by Richard Bowler dec’d, unto his son Richard, he now being likewise dec, Mary Arnold, mother of sd John, heir-at-law.” Land on Western Branch.
- Thomas Arnold, came to Vir on Ship Culpepper, as Carpenter. In Surry Co Va he apt Mr Robert Perry Merch’t Att’ to “recover from James Barnett, & Jno. Nichols Ex of Ann Arnold, a plan’ formerly belonging to his brother Edward Arnold, of Chickahominy” James City Co Vir, “who did in his will Aug 14, 1679, leave said plan’ to her for life, & at her death to next heirs.” Mar 17, 1682/3. (Surry Co Records.)
- John Arnold on Rent Roll of Perq, prior to 1700, with 150a of land on Little River.
- John Arnold, (son of John & Mary) b April 18, 1701. (Berkeley Parish Reg, Perq Co.)
- Elizabeth Arnold, (d of John & Mary) b July 22, 1705. m Thomas Knowles, before Oct Court 1745. (Minute book.)
- John Arnold (s of Lawrence, & wife Jane) (Richards) b — 15, 1703. Berkeley Par Reg.
- Joseph Arnold, s of Lawrence, & wife Sarah, b Nov 19, 1745. Berkeley Par Reg.
- Jane Arnold, d of Lawrence, & wife Sarah, b Feb 7, 1747. (Berkeley Par Reg.)
- One Lawrence Arnold, was dead in Perq before Sept 19, 1694, when his widow, m 2d Jonathan Bateman of Perq Co. He made his will Dec 14, 1691. p Feb 2, 1691 (Old Calendar) naming only one son John, & Lawrence Godfrey. His wife is not named.
- John Arnold of Perq, will p July 14, 1724, names sons; John, Lawrence, William & Joseph, d Elizabeth, wife Mary.
- John Arnold of Perq, will p July 21, 1735, names son John, & wife Elizabeth, to whom he left “land on Deep Creek.” Ex Samuel Parsons.
- Joseph Arnold of Perq, d. s. p. will p April Court 1752, dau Mary Ex. Brothers William, & Lawrence. (No other Legatees.)
- Edward Arnold made his will in Chowan Co, probated April Court 1752. Son & Ex Edward, d Hannah Stallings, wife Pleasant.
- Both Edward Arnold, & John of Perq (1735) have a Crest on their Seals.
- Benjamin Arnell m Sarah (d of Jeremiah Cannon) who made his will in Chowan Co, 3, 3mo 1779. She m 2d before Oct Court 1745, Samuel Parsons. Sarah Arnell, is named in the will of sd Samuel, July Court 1745, as dau (step-dau).
- The division of Estate of Edward Arnell, Chowan Co, 1777, gives heirs; Sons Wm, John, Edward, & Richard Arnell, dau’s Elizabeth Norfleet, Pleasant Knight, Bathsheba, & Esther Arnell.
- William Arnold of Perq, m Miriam Newby, (d of Mark). His will p in Perq, Aug Court 1794, names father William, & sons William, & Jonathan, d Mary.
- John Arnold, & Thos Holloway, had a joint grt in Perq, April 30, 1703, being “land indented to Priscilla Clay, who died seized of sd land,” 18 Xmo 1701.
- Mary wife of John Arnold, m 2d Daniel Hall, she appears on Tithe List of Perq, 1740, with “son Lawrence Arnold.”
REG OF FRIENDS
Little River, Perq Co.
- William Arnold, s of Will’m & Mary b 28, 4mo 1744.
- Elizabeth Arnold, d of Will’m & Mary b 19, 4mo 1742.
- Benjamin Arnold, s of Will’m & Mary b 27, 4mo 1746.
- Mary Arnold, d of Will’m & Mary b 25, 1mo 1749.
- Joseph Arnold, s of Will’m & Mary b 1, 4mo 1753.
- Asa Arnold, s of Will’m & Mary b 9, 1mo 1755.
- Sarah Arnold, d of Will’m & Mary b 27, 11mo 1757.
- Thomas Arnold, s of Will’m & Mary b 27 7mo 1759.
- Rebekah Arnold, d of Will’m & Mary b 23, 12mo 1763.
- William Arnold m Rebekah Cannon, issue: 1 Jemmima b 15, 8mo 1769.
- Benjamin Arnold m Sarah Cannon (d of Jeremiah 22, 12 mo 1768, issue Jemmimah b 4, 9mo 1770.
- Rebeckah Arnold departed this life 17, 2mo 1773.
Source: History of Perquimans County by Ellen Goode Rawlings Winslow, (1931).