- Agnes De Leigh dau of Richard De Leigh, great gr-son of Hamon, Lord of High Leigh, temp Henry II. Agnes Leigh m 3 times, her 3d husband being Sir William Venerables, Knt (2d son of William Baron of Kinderton) and had issue: John who took the name of Leigh before the reign of Edward 1st. He m twice, and had by 2d wife, Ellen (d of Thomas De Corona of Adlington) sons: Robert, who became the progenitor of the Leighs of Adlington; Sir William the ancestor of the Leighs of Eisall; Peter founder of Leighs of Becton, 4th: Gilbert De Leigh, who had son: John of Chester, m Cecelia De Townley, ancestor of Lord Leigh, & Gilbert De Leigh (16 Edward 3d) m Alice, dau of Robert Vernon. His son John, m Clara Fenton (d of Thomas) issue: Gilbert De Leigh, of Middleton 1466, issue: Gilbert De Leigh, who m Margaret, 6th child of Walter, & Elizabeth (Mackingfield) Calverly, of Ewel Castle, Surry, England, issue: Francis Leigh of London, who m Alice Lightfoot, had issue: Sir Francis Leigh, Director of the London company, issue: Lawrence of Virginia, who had Col William Leigh of Virginia, who had William Leigh of West Point, King William Co Va, who had Gilbert Leigh of King William, & Westmoreland Co Va, and Perquimans Co, N. C.
- In 1608 Henry Dawkes, & his brother-in-law William Leigh both of London, took a bill of adventure from London Company, & settled at Varina in 1632, which was for a long period the county seat of Henrico Co. A son of William Leigh was “Capt Leigh of London,” & York Co Va, who died in York Co, 1684/5. He was at the time of his death Admr of the Estate of Phillip Lightfoot, thought to be either his bro-in-law, or uncle-in-law. Elizabeth Lightfoot (wife of John of London) in a will p in London, Dec 24, 1686, names James Leigh as “Son-in-law.” It is thought that George, Edward, Capt Francis, & William, were all sons of William Leigh, the emigrant to Virginia. Francis Leigh was a member of the Col Council in Va, 1680.
- John Leigh was transported to Va, by Thos Knight, Lower Norfolk Co, Apl 23, 1647.
- James Leigh was living on Riverside, & Tanners Creek, Princess Anne Co Va, prior to 1670. This may be the James named in will of Elizabeth Lightfoot of London, as “son-in-law.”
- Gilbert Leigh of King William, & Westmoreland Co Va. moved to N. C. where he m in Perquimans Co, Elizabeth Foster. Gilbert Leigh was a contractor, & builder, and it is claimed he erected the present Court house in Edenton. He was living in Chowan Co 1765, where he took the contract for many public buildings, and for his enterprises accumulated quite a fortune. In 1774 he purchased lands in Durants Neck, Perquimans Co, where he resided until his death. His will in Perq Co, Nov 27, 1791, names wife Elizabeth, dau Mary Whedbee, sons: Francis, Richard, Thomas, James, & Benjamin. Test’ Benj Bedgood, Nicholas Wressell, Sam’l Knight.
- Thomas Leigh, & family were residents of Chowan Co, Apl 1711.
- Richard Leigh, (s of Gilbert) m Charlotte Spruell, issue: Richard (2) who m & had L. B. Leigh of Little Rock, Ark.
- James Leigh (s of Gilbert, of Durants Neck, m 1st — Layden, and 2d Mary Barclift, issue: 1 James, m 1st Mary Granbery, 2d — Gray—2 Lavinia, m — Riddick—3 Martha, m Richard Blount, & had Richard Blount (?), m Rebecca Whedbee, and Martha, m Seth Whedbee—3 Edward youngest child who m 1st Margaret Jacocks, by whom one daughter Susan Jacocks, m Samuel Harrell of Norfolk Va, issue one daughter Margaret, m 1st — Feribee, m 2d Sager. By Mr. Ferebee three sons. Edward Leigh had by 2d wife, Grizzell Jacocks (sister of first wife) 1 Edward, m Mary Coke (d of Dr Coke of Edenton) 2 Grizzell (unmarried), 3 John, married living north—4 Martha (Mattie) m C. C. Winslow, four children—Maud, m John Dobson of Huntington West Va, three children.
- James Leigh (2) James (1) by wife had one son Richard, who died unmarried. By 2d wife Miss Gray one daughter Mary who m Mr. Charles Robinson of Elizabeth City N. C. and had several children, all living.
- Martha (Mattie) and husband C. C. Winslow, had issue, 1 E. Leigh Winslow, M Maureen McManus of New Orleans, issue two sons. Ellen Terry, m Clyde McCallum, no issue. Emmett Julian, m Mary Clark, issue one daughter. Caleb Cook Winslow unmarried.
Posted under: Early Families of Perquimans County
Tagged as: Barclift, Bedgood, Blount, Calverly, Clark, Coke, Dawkes, De Corona, De Leigh, De Townley, Dobson, Fenton, Ferebee, Foster, Granbery, Gray, Harrell, Jacocks, Knight, Layden, Leigh, Lightfoot, Mackingfield, McCallum, McManus, Riddick, Robinson, Sager, Spruill, Vernon, Whedbee, Winslow, Wressell