- Francis Speight age 21 years, came to Va, in Thomas, & John, June 16, 1635, from London. He was granted 300a in Nansemond Co Va, Mar 17, 1654, “by a White Marsh.” This grant was probably in what is now Gates Co N. C. as the deeds mention land called by that name in said county, and it is positively known that the early Speights lived in Gates before coming to Perq.
- John Speight was granted 300a, April 21, 1684, “formerly granted to Francis Speight; and William Speight received a grant for 520a April 21, 1695,” on East side of Bennetts Creek. As Bennetts Creek runs through Gates Co, and persons bearing this name were later found there, we are led to believe both these grants were situated in the same locality.
- William Speight of Nansemond Co Va, made a deed in Chowan Co N. C., June 26, 1735, to his “son-in-law” Moses Hare, 100a “on Horse Pen Branch,” witnessed by Edward Speight, Thos. Speight, and Ann Speight. From legal papers in Perq it appears that Thomas Speight m Mary — issue: 1 Isaac—2 Ruth, m Joseph Jordan—3 Zilpah, m Timothy Walton—4 (daughter) m Solomon Sheppard—5 Elizabeth, m Christopher Benn of Isle of Wight Co., Va. Priscilla Speight m Thos. Jordan of Va.
- Thomas Speight made his will in Perquimans Co, p April 27, 1737. Sons: Isaac, and Moses, dau’s: Rachel, Ruth Jorden, and Zilpah Blanchard (wife of Aaron) wife Mary. (His wife may probably have been — Rountree.)
- Mary Speight, will Bertie Co, p May 7, 1743, names the identical children, except that she names two gr-dau’s Mary, & Elizabeth Speight, but whose children they were is not specified.
- <Francis Speight of Chowan Co, will p Jan 1749. Names sons: Moses (to whom he left a “plantation at Contenteny,” (which is in Wayne Co N. C.) John, and Joseph, (to the last, “land in wolfpit valley,” (which appears as a location in several deeds in Perquimans Co) Brother William Speight. wife Kathern.
- Isaac Speight had issue: Mary, Isaac (2) and Elizabeth.
- Joseph Speight m Anne King. Mar 3, 1752. Chowan Mar bonds.)
- Isaac Speight m Ann Montfort. July 24, 1764. (Chowan Mar bonds.)
- William Speight m Ann Phelps. Aug 8, 1772. (Chowan Mar bonds.)
- Josiah Speight m Mrs Elenora Bond. Jan 11, 1775. (Chowan Mar bonds.)
- Nancy Speight made her will in Perq Co, p Feb 1834, naming: Sister Celia White, Ruth Elliott, & Margaret Whitehead, brother-in-law Foster Whitehead, brothers: John, & Jeremiah Speight.
Source: History of Perquimans County by Ellen Goode Rawlings Winslow, (1931).
Posted under: Early Families of Perquimans County
Tagged as: Benn, Blanchard, Bond, Elliott, Hare, Jordan, King, Montfort, Phelps, Shepperd, Speight, Walton, White, Whitehead