- John Godfrey in Norfolk Co Va, conveyed “2 black sows, and one Colt” unto Richard Conquest, for 1216 lbs of Tob,” Jan 25, 1646. Matthew Godfrey with consent of wife Dinah, deeded land in Norfolk Co, June 18, 1724, naming his father John Godfrey, & brothers Jonathan, & William. Evan Jones who was granted land, 200a in Princess Anne Co Va, on North west side of Great Cypress Swamp, running into Symons Creek, of North River, Oct 20, 1687, assigned said land (with Consent of wife Dinah) unto Matthew Godfrey of Norfolk Co, Dec 15, 1703. Test’ John, and Elizabeth Godfrey. Matthew Godfrey, with Consent of wife Isabella, sold unto John Godfrey (s of Warren) parcel of land purchased of Mr. Evan Jones, on Great Cypress Swamp. June 15, 17¾. Isabella Godfrey appointed her brother George Burges her Att’. June 15, 17¾.
- William, & John Godfrey were living in Perq Per’ct, April 6, 1693.
- Godfrey, (1) John (s of Francis, & Joan) b Aug 17, 1665, m Elizabeth Bagster (widow of Nathaniel) Feb 19, 1685. Nathaniel Bagster, m Elizabeth (Relict of John Simpler) April 25, 167- —issue: Elizabeth, b Aug 26, 1678. Elizabeth Bagster, widow Simpler, was dau of Thomas Abingdon Clerk of Pasq Co. She m for her 4th husband Capt John Hecklefield of Little River.
- Godfrey, (1) John, & wife Elizabeth, issue: 1 Elizabeth, b May 11, 1687.
- John Godfrey died Aug 24, 1693.
- Godfrey, (1) William, m Jane Barrow, issue: 1 John, b Feb 16, 1686—2 Francis, b Aug 12, 1689—3 Mary, b Aug 25, 1691.
- Godfrey, Francis (father of above) will Albemarle, p Nov 5, 1675. Sons: William, & John, wife Joane.
- Godfrey, (1) Thomas, m Ellener — Issue: 1 Thomas, b Mch 11, 1724/5—2 Joseph, b Feby 14, 1726/7.
- Godfrey, (2) Thomas, will Perq, p April 1749. Sons: William, Thomas, Francis, Joseph, dau’s: Sarah, & Ellinor. wife Ellinor.
- Peter Godfrey was Clerk of Perq, at one time, and returned to Norfolk Co Va, where his will was p 1721.
- Godfrey, (3) William (2) Thomas (1) m Frances. He was dead May 9, 1773. (Inventory.)
- Godfrey, (3) Joseph, m Mary Hosea, Aug 14, 1786.
- Godfrey (3) Tulle, m Mary Pointer, Oct 16, 1786.
- Excursus: Hecklefield. (1) Capt. John Hecklefield (son of John) was an Englishman who came to Perq about 1701. He appeared for the first time in Court held “at ye Gran Court House” Oct 14, 1701. The same year he was made Capt of Malitia in Perq Precinct. Court was held at his “House in Little River” Mar 29, 1703, & Oct 26 same year. The Assembly met there Oct 11, 1708, with 26 members in attendance. Mr. Edward Moseley chosen Speaker, William Glover presided as “President.”
- John Hecklefield m Elizabeth Abingdon (d of Thomas of Pasq Co) & had one son John, who died before Nov 8, 1729. d. s. p. when the name became extinct in Perq. Capt John Hecklefield’s land lay around “Little River” a small village, the earliest settlement in the county. He was Dec’d Aug 8, 1721. “Elizabeth Hecklefield Dower Lands,” adj Wm Godfrey. He had other land that adj Capt George Clerke, now in the tenure of Abraham Warren, & Mary Evans, widow of said George. Nov 9, 1709. Joseph Godfrey made a deed April 21, 1729, to Ezekiel Maudlin, 150a on So W. Side of Little River, by a small Creek, issuing out of sd River, called “Hacklefields land.” Col. John Hecklefield was dead Nov 8, 1729. His land adj William Evans which the latter sold to Col Richard Sanderson. (225a.) John (1) will p in Chowan Co Aug 8, 1721, only one son John is named. The Inventory of this son can be found in the Deeds of Perq, and is a very interesting document.
Source: History of Perquimans County by Ellen Goode Rawlings Winslow, (1931).