Newly added to the Internet Archive are at least a couple editions of “Annual report of the Raleigh township graded schools, Raleigh, North Carolina.” At the time of this writing, there are two editions – one from the 1915-1916 school year, and the other from the 1916-1917 school year.
These books are helpful for understanding the educational environment in the county back then. Some of the information provided includes:
- the names of administrators and teachers for each school (both White and African-American schools)
- budget data for each school
- list of graduates for that year
- reports from the superintendent, and other system officials
- pictures of some of the schools
- teacher requirements
- course curriculum of the students by grade
- textbooks used for each grade
Want to get a picture of what school was like back then? These are great resources for doing so! Links have been added to the Education page.