Excerpt from the Alamance Gleaner
Contributed by Nora Jackson

Message from Nora
Also in the interest of sharing, I have decided to try contributing
Obits/death notices from this newspaper. (Mark [Murphy] has inspired me.) I have
chosen 1916 as a starting year, and will pick up earlier issues as they come
available. These are transcribed exactly as written. Due to the sometimes
poor condition of the microfilm, asterisks (*) will be substituted for
unreadable letters. Hope these help someone!
Nora Jackson

The Gleaner - Jan 4, 1917
Mrs. H. W. Scott's Father Dies Suddenly in Raleigh.
     Tuesday afternoon Mrs. H. W. Scott received a message that her father,
Geo. A. Turner, died suddenly at his home in Raleigh about three o'clock. If
he had not been in his usual health, she had not been advised. Mrs. Scott
left yesterday morning for Raleigh. Mrs. Scott's many friends sympathize with
her sad bereavement.
     Mr. Turner was seventy-four years of age. He was a Confederate veteran,
and is survived by his widow and several children.

The Gleaner - Jan 11, 1917
Mrs. Scott's Mother Dies Three Days After Her Father's Death.
     Last week we noted Mrs. H. W. Scott's father, Mr. George Turner, died
suddenly in Raleigh on Tuesday afternoon. Mrs. Scott went to Raleigh
Wednesday morning. Her mother was sick and passed away about 9 o'clock Friday
morning. The news was a shock to Mrs. Scott's friends here who deeply
sympathize with her in her sore bereavement. Mrs. Turner had been sick but was not
considered dangerously ill. She had a cold that developed into pneumonia of
which she died.
     Mr. Ed Rich died at his home here last night about 8 o'clock, aged about
35 years, of Bright's disease. He had been in poor health for several months.
A widow and two children survive him. The burial will be at New Providence
     The little 5 year old son of Mr. Hillary M. Sykes died this morning. This
child was badly burned last Monday and the death is thought to be the result
of the burns. Mr. Sykes formerly lived here, but a year or more ago moved out
near Kimesville. The interment will be here tomorrow.
Mrs. W. W. Staley Passes Away at Suffolk, Va.
     It was a shock to those here who knew Mrs. W. W. Staley years ago, to
hear of her death last Friday morning. She had been in a hospital in Suffolk,
Va., for about two months. She had suffered for a long time from rheumatism,
but the immediate cause of her death was paralysis about ten days before.
Mrs. Staley's maiden name was Pearce, and she was reared near Franklin,
Franklin county. After she and Dr. Staley were married they made their home
in Graham for a number of years. About 35 years ago Dr. Staley became pastor
of the Christian church in Suffolk and they moved away, but she has always
been held in fond remembrance by the friends of long ago. The burial took
place Sunday in the cemetery near her old home near Franklin. Mrs. Staley is
survived by her mother, Mrs. Pearce. Several years past ninety. Her husband,
Dr. W. W. Staley, pastor of Suffolk Christian church for the past 35 years
and President of Elon College for a number of years, and three daughters -
Mrs. T. H. Cheatham of Roxboro, Mrs. B. T. Hold*n of Louisburg and Miss Annie
Staley of Franklin.
     Mr. R. N. Cook of Graham, Dr. Staley's half-brother, attended the funeral.

The Alamance Gleaner - Jan 18, 1917
     Miss Lindy Casper, aged 17 years was shot to death Saturday night in
Salisbury by Lee Honeycutt, a merchant, who then attempted suicide. Honeycutt
has a family. Jealousy assigned as a cause.

The Alamance Gleaner - Feb 1, 1917
Mr. W. C. Donnell Passes Away In His 86th Year.
     After a residence in Graham for almost half a century, dating back to
1868- less than 20 years after this town was established, Mr. W. C. Donnell,
"Uncle Cal" as many as were wont to call him, has made his home in Graham. He
was born in Guilford county June 21, 1831, and died about 8 o'clock Friday
morning, January 26, 1917, at the home of his niece, Mrs. C. S. Hunter. The
funeral was conducted by his Pastor, Dr. T. M. McConnell, from the
Presbyterian church at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon. For 38 years Mr. Donnel
had been a Ruling Elder in his church and verily he was one of its pillars.
In everything in his church that had good for its result, as well as in
matters outside, he took an unselfish interest.
     The following pall-bearers bore the remains to their last resting place
in Linwood Cemetery: Mess. C. P. Albright, Allen Tate, McBride Holt, Lynn B.
Williamson, J. Clarence Walker, Sam T. Johnston, Chas. A. Scott and J. Harvey
White. The funeral was attended by a large number of relatives, friends, and
acquaintances. He is survived by the following nephews and nieces, John, W.
C., James R., Thomas, George and Harry S. Donnell and mesdames Berta
Alexander and Annie Tate, sons and daughters of his brother John D. Donnell,
deceased, who made his home in Greensboro, and Mrs. C. S. Hunter, J. E. Scott
Jr., and H. W. Scott, children of his sister, Mrs. Bettie Scott, who passed
away afew years ago at her home in Graham.
     As a young man Mr. Donnell began business in Wilmington. During or near
the close of the Civil War he was in business in Mebane and in 1868 he and
his brother-in-law, the late James Sidney Scott, engaged in the mercantile
business under the name of Scott & Donnell. This business continued actively
for more than 20 years, and in 1883 they completed the first cotton mill in
Graham. They sold this mill which is now part of the Oneida Mill, and later
built the Sidney Mill near the railway station.
     Mr. Donnell was never married. In business he was diligent and honest, he
lived modestly and economically, and by the practice of these virtues he
accumulated a comfortable estate. He was an esteemed and upright citizen and
exerted an abiding influence for good, and like the ripened grain is gathered
to his reward.

The Alamance Gleaner - March 1, 1917
Mr. W. A. Moore Dead.
     Last week this paper noted the serious illness of Mr. W. A. Moore, better
known as Lonnie Moore. He had been ill for only a few days. He was taken sick
at Graham Hotel and moved to the home of his father, Mr. W. C. Moore,
Thursday and died about 4 o'clock Friday morning from heart failure. He is
survived by six children -- four girls and two boys. Mr. Moore was forty-one
years of age and for a number of year had been a traveling salesman. Mess. A.
G. Morre of Greensboro, Lucy Moore of Charlotte and Faucette Moore of
Thomasville, Ga., three of deceased brothers, were here to attend the
funeral. The funeral was conducted from the Presbyterian church at 2 o'clock
Saturday afternoon by Dr. T. M. McConnell and the interment was in Linwood
Cemetery. The bereaved children and family of deceased have the sympathy of
their many friends.
     Mr. Ben McClure, who lived here up to a month or so ago, when he moved to
a farm near McLeansville, died last Tuesday morning from acute indigestion.
He was about 55 years of age. A widow and two or three small children survive
him. His remains were carried to High Point for interment.
     Mrs. Simpson, widow of the late T. R. Simpson, died last Saturday at the
home of her daughter Mrs. Jack Capps, near Burlington. She was 73 years of
     Miss. Mattie Anderson died on 20th of February at the home of her
brother, Mr. Eugene Anderson, about two miles North of Haw River. She was a
daughter of the late James Anderson. The interment was at Cross Roads church.
Mrs. Hughes, wife of Mr. Peter Hughes, Passes away.
     After a few days illness from pneumonia Mrs. Sarah J. Hughes died about
11 o'clock last Friday. She was born about one mile west of Elon College,
September 18, 1848, and was the daughter of Joel Tickle, deceased. The
funeral was conducted from the home of her son, Mr. Heehan Hughes, with whom
she and her husband made their home, at 1:30 o'clock Saturday afternoon by
Rev. A. F. Iseley assisted by Rev. Fleming Martin, and the interment was in
Pine Hill Cemetery, Burlington. Mrs. Hughes is survived by her husband, Mr.
Peter Hughes, and one son, Mr. Heenan Hughes. Mrs. Hughes was a most
estimable christian woman, and the bereaved have the sympathy of their many
friends in their bereavement.

The Alamance Gleaner - March 8, 1917
Death of W. Taylor Pickett and Michael Spoon.
     On the 19th of February Mr. W. Taylor Pickett, one of the foremost
citizens of Patterson township passed away at the age of 70 years, 5 months
and 22 days. The burial was at Cane Creek church. He is survived by his
widow, Mrs. Sarah C. Pickett, two brothers, J. F. Pickett, and A. S. Pickett,
and two sisters, Mrs. Ellen Coble and Mrs. Callie Garrett.
     Mr. Michael Spoon, a highly esteemed citizen of Coble township, died
Monday at an advanced age. He was the father of Miss Fannie Spoon who has
made her home in Graham for a number of years.

The Alamance Gleaner - March 29, 1917
     After many months of intense suffering Mrs. W. H. Holt passed away at her
home here a few minutes after 12 o'clock Friday night. The funeral was
conducted Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from New Providence Christian
church by Dr. T. M. McConnell of Graham and Dr. W. S. Long of Chapel Hill,
and the interment was in New Providence cemetery. Mrs. Holt was the daughter
of the late Joseph Anderson Long and Elizabeth Long. She is survived by her
husband and one brother, Mr. Jacob S. Long of California.
     Mrs. Holt was a most excellent christian woman and was held in high
esteem by a large circle of friends and relatives. The funeral was attended
by a large congregation.
     Among those present from a distance were Mrs. J. Sam Albright, daughter,
Mr. Will I. Holt, son, and Misses Swannie Albright and Nina Woods,
grand-daughters of Mr. Holt.
     Mr. Braxton died at his home in Burlington last Thursday morning. While
at work in the Coffin Factory the afternoon before he was struck in the
abdomen by a piece of flying timber. A physician was called and he was
conveyed to his home. No bones were broken and he was thought to be getting
along very well. Thursday morning he was taken with violent nausea and passed
away before relief could be given. Mr. Braxton was a son-in-lay of Mr. W. C.
Moore of Graham. His wife died about three years ago. Six children - three
sons and three daughters survive.
     Miss Mollie Foust, aged about 25 years, died here at the home of her brother,
Mr. Fred Foust, with whom she and her mother made their home, yesterday. She
also leaves surviving surviving her two other brothers -- Jack Foust of
Pittsburg, Pa., and Dee Foust of Graham, and a sister, Miss Callie Foust.
Deceased was a daughter of the late Doc Foust.

The Alamance Gleaner - April 26, 1917
Died From Fall.
     At the Aurora Mills in Burlington last Tuesday morning Mrs. Nance, wife
of Mr. Walter Nance, fell from a window and died on the way to the hospital.
She and her husband worked together in the mill. She fainted and her husband
placed her in a window and went for some water. While he was away she fell
from the window. It is reported that her neck was broken.

The Alamance Gleaner - May 17, 1917
Mrs. Sallie F. Turner Passes Away.
     After many months of declining health Mrs. Sallie F. Turner passed away
at her home here Thursday afternoon about 5 o'clock. About two weeks ago she
suffered a stroke of paralysis and since, no hope of her recovery has been
entertained. Mrs. Turner's maiden name was Gray and she was the widow of the
late T. J. Turner. At the time of her death she was 73 years, 9 months and 26
days of age. Two sons and two daughters survive her. John G. Turner of
Graham, T. I. Turner of Charlotte, Mrs. Bert Kenyon of Goldsboro, and Mrs. E.
W. Maddry of Raleigh.
     Mrs. Turner was a consistent member of Graham Christian Church and highly
esteemed. The funeral was conducted from her home this afternoon at 2 o'clock
by her pastor Rev. J. G. Truitt, assisted by Rev. H. F. Meyers after which
the interment was in New Providence cemetery.

The Alamance Gleaner - May 24, 1917
Mr. V. M. Euliss Dead.
     The news of the death of Mr. V. M. Euliss at the St. Leo's Hospital in
Greensboro on Tuesday afternoon, 22nd inst., was a shock to his friends here.
He went to the hospital about the 4th inst., to be treated for tumor of the
bladder, but never improved sufficiently to stand an operation.
     Mr. Euliss had made his home in Graham for about twenty years and was one
of the town's best and most highly esteemed citizens. He was one of the
leading members of the Baptist church. He had served as Justice of the Peace
in the county for over twenty-five years and had served as a member of the
town Board of Commissioners.
     Mr. Euliss was born February 11, 1850, and at the time of his death was
67 years, 3 mos, and 8 days old. He was twice married and is survived by his
widow and the following children. Charlie Euliss of Durham, Clinton Euliss of
Detroit, Mich., James P. Euliss of Alliance, Ohio, Parker D. Euliss of
Pittsburg, Pa., Walter Euliss of Indianapolis, Ind, Hocutt Euliss of Graham,
Mrs. Jos. S. Phillips of Gibsonville, Mrs. Herbert Aust** and Miss Bernice
Euliss of Graham.
     All but the three youngest children are by the first marriage. All the
children are at home except Clinton, and he was here up to last week when he
returned to Detroit.
     The funeral takes place this afternoon from his late residence on
Washington Street and will be conducted by his Pastor, Rev. W. R. Davis,
after which the interment will be in Linwood Cemetery.
     Mr. William E. Spoon died Tuesday night at his home Patterson township at
the age of 83 years. Five children, three sons and two daughters survive him.
He was the father of R. L. Spoon; F. S. Spoon and Mrs. R. F. Williams of
     Mr. Rufus W. Ingle, a well known and highly esteemed citizen, died last
Thursday night at his home in Burlington, aged 78 years. He served through
the Civil War. He is survived by his widow and several sons.
     Mrs. C. P. Raub** died Sunday at Rainey Hospital after an operation that
was hoped would alleviate her condition. She was the daughter of the late
Daniel C. Holt and was reared about a mile and a half west of Graham. She is
survived by her husband, one son and three daughters. She was a sister of Mr.
Lewis H. Holt, County Surveyor. The interment was at Pine Hill Cemetery.

The Alamance Gleaner - May 31, 1917
Mrs. W. A. Wood Dead.
     On last Friday a few minutes before eleven o'clock, Mrs. Wood, the widow
of the late Wiley A. Wood, passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. A.
Lacy Holt, in the 73rd year of her age, having been born Feb, 25, 1845. On
the Sunday before Mrs. Wood went to the home of her daughter. She had a fall
and fractured the femur bone near the hip. The shock was more than her
physical strength could overcome.
     The funeral was conducted from the home of her daughter, Mrs. A. Lacy
Holt, Saturday afternoon by Rev H. E. Meyers, Pastor of the M. E. church, and
Rev. W. R. Davis, pastor of the Baptist church, after which the remains were
laid to rest in Linwood Cemetery. The mound over her resting place was
covered with beautiful floral tributes.
     Mrs. Wood, whose maiden name was Roney, was born and reared in this
county. She was a sweet-spirited, lovable christian woman, esteemed by all
who knew her. She is survived by two brothers, Mr. John N. Roney of Guilford,
near Gibsonville, and Mr. J. Mason Roney of Pleasant Grove township, and the
following children, namely; Mrs. W. H. Foushee of Greensboro, Mr. Numa R.
Wood of Gibsonville, Mesdames A. Lacy Holt, J. C. Moore and Chas. A. Thompson
of Graham, Mrs. Don. F. Noyes of Morganton, and Mr. Joe Wood of Boston,
Mass., all of whom were present at her funeral.
     Among those attending the funeral were Mr. W. H. Foushee, Mr. and Sykes
of Greensboro, Mr. Don F. Noyes of Morganton and a number of other relatives
and friends from a distance.
Col. William E. Holt of Lexington Dead.
     Col. W. E. Holt died Saturday afternoon at his home in Lexington, aged 77
years. On the 13th inst. he suffered a stroke of paralysis, from which he
partially rallied, but a few days before his death he took a turn for the
worse. His funeral took place in Lexington Monday and was attended by a large
number of relatives and friends from this and other states. He is survived by
his widow, one son and five daughters.
     Col. Holt was a son of the late Edwin M. Holt of this county, the pioneer
cotton manufacturer of the South. He was a brother of the late Gov. Thos. M.
Holt, and is survived by two brothers and two sisters -- Mrs. Fannie A.
Williamson and Mrs. Jas. A. Williamson and Mr. L. Banks Holt of Graham and
Mr. Lawrence S. Holt of Burlington.
     As a cotton manufacturer, Col. Holt was one of the largest in the South.
He left an estate valued at more than five millions according to press
Lieut. D. G. Sullivan Dead.
     The news of the death of Lieut. Sullivan was a shock to everyone who knew
him. He was taken sick Saturday, and died about noon Monday in a hospital in
Raleigh. Lieut. Sullivan at the time of his death was in service with the
Supply Co. of the 3rd N. C. Reg. He was born in Gibsonville. When a boy his
family moved to Burlington, and in his ‘teens he enlisted in the U. S. Army,
serving two enlistments in Cuba and the Philippine Islands. While in the
Philippines he was in nine engagements. When he came out of service he
enlisted in the Infirmary of the 3rd Regiment. He moved to Graham, living
here about two years; then to Reidsville, where he was a police officer and
by faithful service he was appointed chief of police and held the job until
the call came.
     Four years ago he was promoted to Serg.-Maj. of the 3rd Reg. When the
call came June 19, 1916, he was the first man to report to his commander and
at once reported for duty. He was promoted to Lieut. of the Supply Co., going
to El Paso, Tex. When the Reg. returned his company was not mustered out and
when he died he was still in service.
     Sullivan, as I called him, being one of his tent mates while in service,
always had a cheering word for everyone. He always tried to make the boys
feel good and happy. He will be missed by both officers and men. His remains
arrived at Burlington Monday evening.
     The funeral was conducted by Rev. T. S. Brown and his remains buried in
the Pine Hill Cemetery, with military honors by Co. I, 3rd Reg.
     A detachment of his Company accompanied the remains to Burlington.
The following officers were present at the funeral; Maj. Baxter Durham of
Raleigh; Capt. S. E. Winston of the Supply Co.; Capt. Don E. Scott of Graham;
Lieut. R. C. Young of Raleigh.
     He is survived by a wife and two children, who have the sympathy of their
numerous friends in the loss of husband and father.
       "He is gone but not forgotten."
               Lon. G. Turner.

The Alamance Gleaner - June 7, 1917
One Killed and Three Injured in Automobile Wreck.
     Sunday afternoon, John Sparrow and three companions from Chapel Hill
coming this way, when a short distance this side (*illegible*) with an
accident in which John Sparrow lost his life. An axle broke and a wheel
smashed. John Sparrow was caught beneath the wreck. Dr. McPherson of
Saxapahaw was hastily summoned. The injured received attention and Sparrow
was being rushed to the Hospital but he died before reaching Graham. His body
was prepared for burial by Williams, Green & McClure, undertakers, and
carried to his home at Chapel Hill Sunday night.
     It is reported that fast and reckless driving is responsible for the
accident. A wife and children survive the dead man.
     The little son of Mr. and Mrs. Gary Garrett died a few days ago at their
home in Dry Fork, Va. Mrs. W. W. Garrett, mother of Mr. Garrett, of Graham
attended the funeral.
     Mr. Wesley Clapp died here Monday. He had been sick only a few days from

The Alamance Gleaner - June 14, 1917
Soldier Killed At Haw River.
Private Frank Brown of the squad of N. C. N. Guardsman, detailed to guard
the railroad bridge at Haw River, was killed by the east-bound train about 2
o’clock Monday night. He had sat down on the side of the track at the west
end of the bridge and fallen asleep. The train bore down upon him and the
noise of the train and the blowing of the whistle failed to wake him. The
pilot knocked him off and down the high embankment. A comrade had started to
his relief, but heard the train coming and waited at the East end for it to
pass. The remains were brought here and prepared for burial by Mess.
Williams, Green & McClure, undertakers. Deceased was a son of Mr. George
Brown of Kinston where the armies were sent Tuesday evening for internment.
On May 31st Mrs. Bettie Moore passed away at her home in Burlington, aged
85 years. She was the widow of Dr. John A. Moore, a prominent physician who
died more than 25 years ago, and a sister of the late Dr. H. A. Sellars. The
interment was by the side of her husband in New Providence cemetery.
On Sunday night last, Mrs. Sallie Huff, widow of O. L. Huff, died at her
home in Gibsonville after a brief illness. She was the eldest daughter of the
late Berry Davidson. She is survived by a son, two sisters and three
brothers. The remains were interred in the cemetery at Bethlehem, near
William Warsham, about 60 years old, was found dead in bed in his home at
Davidson at an early hour Sunday morning.

The Alamance Gleaner - June 28, 1917
Mrs. Mary J. Garrison, widow of Robert Garrison, died last Friday at her
home near McCray, aged 69 years, 1 month and 20 days. The interment
was at Long's Chapel. Robert and William, two sons, are among her surviving children.
John M. Perry died late Sunday afternoon at his home here. He was 77 years
and 25 days old. His widow and several children survive him, the remains
were buried Tuesday at Mt. Olive, near Manndale.
Judson Clark, after a short illness, died at his home here Tuesday night,
about one o'clock. He was about 38 years of age. A widow and several
children small children survive him.
Chas. W. Whitfield, near 70 years of age, died here yesterday afternoon.
He had been in declining health for a year or so. He leaves a widow and
several sons and daughters. The burial takes place at New Providence this afternoon.

The Alamance Gleaner - July 19, 1917
Young Man Commits Suicide.
   Last Saturday morning about 10 o'clock, Mr. John Neese committed
suicide by cutting his throat with a razor at the home of his mother,
Mrs. Bettie J. Neese, four miles south of Graham. He first attempted
to shoot himself, but his mother and a younger brother brother took the
gun from him. He then picked up a razor, ran out into the yard and slashed his throat.
   Mr. Neese was a robust young man, aged about 25 years, and apparently
in good health. No reason is given for his rash act, unless it was on account
of a young lady. He left a note in which he made reference to her, but the
contents of the note has not been learned.
    Mrs. Sarah Siler Fogleman, wife of Mr. John A. Fogleman, died on the
9th inst. near Snow Camp. She was 80 years, 6 mos. and 3 days old at
the time of her death. The interment was at Pleasant Hill. Her husband,
two sons, William and Thomas, and one daughter, Mrs. P. D. Teague, survive her.
   Mr. George W. Straughn, a confederate veteran, died at Swepsonville on
the 8th inst. He was 85 years and 5 mos. of age.
   Mrs. Lovenia Beckom died in Burlington on 12th inst., aged 56 years.
The interment was at New Providence.
   The infant daughter, aged two months, of Mr. and Mrs. Zeb Isley, died
here on 8th inst.

The Alamance Gleaner - August 9, 1917
Mr. John H. Porterfield Dead.
The early part of last week Mr. John H. Porterfield of Mebane was carried
to Rainey Hospital for an operation. The operation was performed but failed
to give the relief hoped for and he passed away at 3 o'clock Sunday morning.
The funeral services were conducted at his home in Mebane Monday afternoon by
Elder C. F. Denny of Durham and Rev. Mr. Arnette of Mebane, after which the
burial was in Linwood cemetery in Graham. He was twice married. His first
wife, was Miss. Lizzie Anderson of Orange county and to them were born seven
of whom the following are living: Andrew G. Porterfield, near McCray, Jas. H.
Porterfield of Atlanta, Mrs. U. G. Daurity of Goldston, Mrs. Lon. G. Turner
and Miss Fannie Porterfield of Graham. His second wife was Miss Annie Paris,
who survives her husband.
Mr. Porterfield was born in Orange county about 65 years ago. He located
in Mebane about seven years ago and was proprietor of the Porterfield House.
Prior to his moving to Mebane he made his home in in Graham about ten years.
Mr. Porterfield was a good citizen and highly esteemed, and his death will be
learned of with deep regret by all who knew him.
Mrs. J. W. Cates of Burlington, who, before her marriage, was Miss Sarah
Elizabeth Scott of Campbell county, Va., died suddenly at her home in
Burlington a few minutes after 9 o'clock Saturday night. The funeral services
were conducted at 10 o'clock Tuesday morning from the First Baptist church of
which she had been a devoted member for thirty years, having connected
herself with the church the day it was organized -- July 28, 1887. Mrs. Cates
was born Dec 25, 1857, and was in her 60th year. She is survived by her
husband and six children -- 4 sons and 2 daughters, and a host of relatives
and friends, who mourn the death of this good wife, mother and friend.

The Alamance Gleaner - October 4, 1917
Mrs. Rebecca Foust, Aged Lady, Passes Away.
After several days of extreme illness, Mrs. Rebecca H. Foust, aged nearly
83 years, passed away this morning between eleven and twelve o'clock at the
home of her daughter, Mrs. W. F. R. Clapp, in Graham, with whom she made her
home. Mrs. Foust was the widow of Zwinley Foust, who lost his life on the
battlefield during the Civil war. She was the daughter of William Foust, and
her home was in Albright township before coming to Graham. She was of a large
family of about ten brothers and sisters, and is survived by one sister, Mrs.
Geo. M. R. Clapp who lives in the Brick Church community. She is survived by
three daughters, Mrs. W. F. R. Clapp, Miss Sallie Foust, and Mrs. Mary E.
Steele, and a large family connection. Mrs. Foust was a gentle, quiet
christian woman and esteemed by all who knew her. The funeral will take place
tomorrow and the interment will be in Linwood Cemetery.
Mr. Ashby Summers died last Thursday at the home of his parents Mr. and
Mrs. Ludwick Summer, in Burlington. He had been in declining health for
several years. Deceased was a nephew of Mr. J. B. Montgomery of Graham.
Lester Marlett Killed on Railroad Track Thursday Night Near Graham Station.
Early last Friday morning Lester Marlett was found on the side of the
railroad track a short distance above the station here. Mr. J. P. McAdams,
who lives only a short distance above the station, was one of the first to
see him. Both legs were cut off and were lying some 40 or 50 feet west of his
body and it is supposed the accident was caused by a train going west. He
lived only a short while after being found. He called for water, but when
asked how it happened did not answer. It is supposed that he sat down on the
tracks and fell asleep. His father lived only a short distance from where the
accident occurred. Mr. Marlett was a young man and worked in a garage in
Mrs. S. A. McCollum committed suicide at her home in Rockingham county by
shooting herself. She leaves a husband and several children, the youngest
child four months old. She had been sick for several months.

The Alamance Gleaner - October 11, 1917
Mrs. Boggs, wife of Mr. Jesse Boggs, died last Thursday night at the home
of her son, Mr. Joseph Boggs, in Patterson township aged between 75 and 80
years. Mr. and Mrs. Boggs lived here for a number of years.
Gurney Herrin died last Thursday at his home in Newlin township, near
Sutphin's Mill, aged between 45 and 50 years.
Mrs. Sarah E. Dailey, widow of the late John G. Dailey, died last Sunday
afternoon at her home in Burlington. She was about 75 years of age. She is
survived by ten living children - four sons and six daughters. Before moving
to Burlington the family lived in Pleasant Grove township.

The Alamance Gleaner - October 18, 1917
Mr. David M. Rainey died on the 3rd inst. near Big Falls, aged 35 years.
The interment was at the Haw River cemetery on the 4th.
Mr. Milo Dixon, who had been a prominent citizen of Southern Alamance for
many years, died on the 24th ult., aged about 72 years. He was the father of
Mr. Phil. S. Dixon of Graham.
Mr. Daniel M. Walker Passes Away.
At 2 o'clock Sunday night Mr. Daniel M. Walker passed away at his home
here. For several years he had been in declining health from a tubercular
trouble and at two different times had spent several months in the Southwest
seeking relief, but no permanent improvement came. While his friends knew he
was very feeble in health, yet they were shocked when the end came.
The funeral was conducted from the Presbyterian church, of which he was a
member, at 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon. At the request of the deceased, Dr.
T. M. McConnell, the pastor, was assisted by Dr. E. C. Murray, his former
pastor, and Dr. W. S. Long, his former teacher. The interment was in Linwood
Cemetery where the burial services were conducted by Knights of Pythias of
which Mr. Walker was a member. The following members of the order acted as
pall-bearers: Messrs. McBride Holt, H. W. Scott, Jas. S. Cook, J. L. Scott.
Jr., Chas. P. Harden, Chas. A. Scott, A. K. Hardee and J. D. Kernodle.
Mr. Walker was a son of the late Robert L. Walker. He was born July 8,
1874, and is survived by his widow and two children, Doake and Lelia, his
mother, five brothers and one sister. He was a most highly esteemed citizen
and christian gentleman and his friends wherever he was known will regret to
hear of his death.

The Alamance Gleaner - November 22, 1917
Mrs. Bivins, wife of Mr. Chas. Bivins of Haw River, died last Friday
morning, aged 46 years. She is survived by her husband and four children.

The Alamance Gleaner - December 13, 1917
Mr. Charlie Boswell died at Draper Monday and the remains were brought
here for interment Tuesday. He is survived by his widow and three small
children. He was a brother of Chief of Police W. H. Boswell and lived here a
number of years.
Paul Crawford, son of Mr. W. Graham Crawford, near Saxapahaw, died in the
hospital in Greensboro early yesterday morning, aged 16 years and 7 months.
He was affected with a rising in the head and had undergone a number of
operations. He had been in the hospital about 9 weeks. The body was brought
down yesterday morning and carried to the home of his father and the burial
was at Phillips Chapel about noon today. He was a brother of Mr. John M.
Crawford of Graham.
Newton Maulden died at Swepsonville Monday evening, aged 44 years. The
body was carried to Bear Creek, Chatham county, for burial. His wife died a
year or two ago and he left no children.

First PageHomePage 3

Jan. 5, 2002